Derby in Tassi

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would bank on 4 hrs min .
The first 13 km approx 1hr - to the wash station .
As above the next bit ....is up and downy - but it’s a good ride - take in the different scenery , enjoy the ride ,the last descent gets faster as the trail becomes more grippy - you don’t really notice - it’s just faster downhill to the beach .

I think it’s worth it - the first section to to the was station is awesome .
MadMtb may drop you at the top and pick you up at wash station and drop you at top of Blue Tier ?
That would be a cracker day !

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I would bank on 4 hrs min .
The first 13 km approx 1hr - to the wash station .
As above the next bit ....is up and downy - but it’s a good ride - take in the different scenery , enjoy the ride ,the last descent gets faster as the trail becomes more grippy - you don’t really notice - it’s just faster downhill to the beach .

I think it’s worth it - the first section to to the was station is awesome .
MadMtb may drop you at the top and pick you up at wash station and drop you at top of Blue Tier ?
That would be a cracker day !
Yeah I think I took about 4hrs. That fist 12km and last 8km are the best bits for sure and give all of the rock features a go they have all been made rollable. Definitely worth a go if you have the day, I got dropped at the top early and picked up at the beach at lunch time. If you go early you miss the shuttles that start at about 10 so you have the place to yourself.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Here in Derby, got here on Wednesday morning and will probably leave on Monday. Did the new (to me) Blue Tier trail and Atlas today with my boys... loved the new Blue Tier... some might call it boring but the combination of scenery and good time trail kept me very happy. Big Chook again a cracking ride, that track is dialed. Lunch at the Weldborough then a shuttle up to Atlas.... I dunno about that track being a blue. Sure even the shuttle drivers call it a dark blue but bloody hell once you're in the forest proper it's a decent challenge. Finally Dam Busters which has apparently had some work done to it.. wow it's fast. Loved it.

Derby Park was almost empty when we got here on Wed morning but come mid-Friday people are just about setting up camp in the middle of the road. I can hear live music at the Dorset and it's nice to see a few places to eat, quite a change from when I was here about 4 years ago with some dubious company. I'm really pleased that new trails keep getting built, the tunnel was a wow experience for everyone that tried it.

Hrm, off to Freycinet tomorrow or Mon, then maybe, just maybe, we might pop in to Maydena. I'd thought we were done with riding but my boys can't stop talking about Big Chook and Dam Busters :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Arrived in Derby on the 30th with 10 stitches in my side and a torn muscle in my back... an 8am visit to Mersey hospital at Latrobe after getting off the boat kitted me out with painkillers for the trip.
All started well, though I was a bit reserved on some trail features which was annoying.

Day 5 we did the Bay Of Fires trail completely (Did the fire 14km on day 2, then down to Weldborough), ~3km in I did a small jump and the front wheel washed out on the soft sandy berm, slammed the upside wall of the trail... sprained wrist and 2 sprained fingers.

Was managing on 1 Panadeine Forte with 1 panadol, now on 2 at a time. Now I'm feeling every bump...

After 8 days in Derby we headed to Maydena, awesome as usual but getting very rough on a lot of the flow trails.

Back to Derby again for another 7 days, feeling ok.

Damn Bay Of Fires trail again on out 11th day at Derby, full trail again, 6km from the end I was absolutely belting across the top, strava says 41kph, I reckoned about 30ish, fast corner and a bit of a sideway drift on the quartz sand, outside pedal clipped a grasstree root/stump... I remember nothing.
Kids said I did an OTB-360°, ended up 10-12M down the trail from where the impact with the root was... off to St Helens hospital, 1-2 broken ribs... possibly more and pretty deep gravel rash to arms and legs... FFS !

So took it easy for a couple of days, still managed 40km over the 2 days on the Missus smashed up (another story below) ebike, bit of swimming in the Briseis hole, then packed in the painkillers for our 14th and last days riding, 2-3 shuttles and a ride up rusty crusty, felt it the next day though.

^^^The missus, went with the kids for a quick Dam Busters on Day 4, got 100m from Black Stump on the fire road and OTB in a pothole, trashed herself and her ebike, bruises all over her body, broken cheek bone, black eye and cuts down her cheek and neck. More Hospital visits and about $800-$1000 ebike damage.

So it seems both us 2 adults are useless, visiting 4 different Tassie Hopsitals between us, Mersey, Scottsdale, Launceston and St Helens.... I still got to ride everyday... even at a reduced capacity and pretty reserved until I forgot about my situation. Had an awesome time as usual and we'll be back.

Here a quickie of the Derby Tunnel, one of my times to reflect on why I have had 3 decent crashes in 3 weeks but zero crashes for about 5 years.
I also shot this in 1080 with the "low light" setting activated but the speed of the tunnel, stability and low light made it a blur... a bit dark but you get the idea.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So it seems both us 2 adults are useless, visiting 4 different Tassie Hopsitals between us, Mersey, Scottsdale, Launceston and St Helens.... I still got to ride everyday... even at a reduced capacity and pretty reserved until I forgot about my situation. Had an awesome time as usual and we'll be back.
Gees mate! I thought I was injury prone. Good job on keeping going through it all

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Jacked up on painkillers ! I'm usually good, been many years since my last crash, then 3 in succession.
Hope that's them out of the way for a while, too old for that shit.

clockworked

Like an orange
I need a joint for 8 dudes to stay in derby. What's good? I've stayed at Fred's place before, which was fine, but its a bit undergunned for bed space. Any real standouts?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Trailview House. Tonnes of space, massive bike shed, awesome outdoor firepit, and practically on the trails. The shuttle guys will pick you up out the front of the place if you ask nicely.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I need a joint for 8 dudes to stay in derby. What's good? I've stayed at Fred's place before, which was fine, but its a bit undergunned for bed space. Any real standouts?
Trailview if you can get it. Heaps of space. We stay there regularly. Close enough to pedal up for black stump runs aswell

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The place I posted & we stayed at the end stay nowhere else don’t be stupid.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Trip 1 of 2019 had 8 of us staying at Cascade Cottages. It was a brilliant place for large groups with enough space if you needed it. Workshop space, storage, clean, well stocked with most things you’d need. The owners were very helpful and checked if we needed anything, but not in an annoying way. If it becomes an annual trip we are going straight for Cascade again.