Derby in Tassi

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
He'll do just about anything to spend more time with Virginia.
She does get a visit each each time we go there but you have stay for 2 beers. 1st beer she tells you how much of a chunt MTBers, Buck and Tim Watson are.

2nd beer get her talking about Devils or Tigers, she has great info on both and some nice artefacts buried in her hotel full of hoarded junk.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Just back from a 2 week road trip around Tassie. Queenstown, Wild Mersey and Derby. The place just keeps giving.
there's a tap and donate system set up at the Dorset pub and the Hub for $10 towards trail upkeep which is pretty cool. Not sure if other businesses have it as well.
There's a new bike shop where the old post office used to be, Derby Bike Shop, run by a lovely couple who've moved down from Toowoomba. Damo used to wrench at Johnny Sprockets and knows his stuff. He did a quick service on my loose suspension pivots at a really reasonable price. If you need any work done on your bike whilst there I'd recommend popping in.

ozzybmx

Wonder what motivates the sale?
Dunno... it was being painted and new roof last time we were there, the whole accommodation area has been done up.

the place is booked out during peak times, days in advance.

Is the slack period not worth the peak ? Getting staff out there and shithouse prices for them to live near Derby ?

My missus says 'its a goldmine'... I'll put that in the same box as #2 son saying a bike that was too good to be true was 'a steal'.

Running a pub is literally a full time job... not 40hrs a week full time. May seem glamorous when you see them at 7pm all smiley... staff, food, repairs, rooms, meals, washing, ordering shit... its a fucked life if you are not 100% committed and have you kids at an age where it works.

I 'may' have looked into being a part owner of one here in SA a few years back.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both of the pubs have such tiny bar areas, I found it strange, maybe that's a Tassie country pub thing? I couldn't understand why the bar wouldn't connect through to the dining area.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Both of the pubs have such tiny bar areas, I found it strange, maybe that's a Tassie country pub thing? I couldn't understand why the bar wouldn't connect through to the dining area.
Yeah it's a bit of a weird layout. "Period appropriate" is probably the best way to describe it. I liked the photos in the front bar.

What's happening with the shit pub at the other end of the street at Derby? Does the owner still want $16m for some non-working beer lines and salt damp?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Dunno... it was being painted and new roof last time we were there, the whole accommodation area has been done up.

the place is booked out during peak times, days in advance.

Is the slack period not worth the peak ? Getting staff out there and shithouse prices for them to live near Derby ?

My missus says 'its a goldmine'... I'll put that in the same box as #2 son saying a bike that was too good to be true was 'a steal'.

Running a pub is literally a full time job... not 40hrs a week full time. May seem glamorous when you see them at 7pm all smiley... staff, food, repairs, rooms, meals, washing, ordering shit... its a fucked life if you are not 100% committed and have you kids at an age where it works.

I 'may' have looked into being a part owner of one here in SA a few years back.
Leaving aside the 70 hour weeks you invariably end up working running a pub the biggest hassle for any new prospective owners of the Dorset is getting and retaining decent staff, and finding places within coo-ee for them to live. Getting affordable rentals in Tasmania anywhere bar some ex mining or forestry ghost town (i.e. one without mountain bike tracks) is virtually impossible at the moment.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah it's a bit of a weird layout. "Period appropriate" is probably the best way to describe it. I liked the photos in the front bar.

What's happening with the shit pub at the other end of the street at Derby? Does the owner still want $16m for some non-working beer lines and salt damp?
Yep :rolleyes:

There's a newly constructed Café/Restaurant just opened up on one side of it and a site being prepared for construction on the other side.
I get over to Derby 5 or 6 times a year and every time I go, there is some new construction going on. Covid certainly didn't slow things down.

jrewing

Eats Squid
don’t know if it’s going to be good or bad once the borders full open. Back to mask wearing, phone check ins and even caring again. Life was easy before 911.. I mean Covid .. I mean Lizard people .. I mean, argh fuck it!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
They are expecting the place to go crazy from the 16th onwards, full booked out boats and caravan parks.
Our neighbours are in the same boat (not literally) as you, SoT booked for 15/12, sweating on border control, kids pulled out of school and several Xmas parties have been dodged etc...can't blame them, good luck, v jealous.

ozzybmx

don’t know if it’s going to be good or bad once the borders full open. Back to mask wearing, phone check ins and even caring again. Life was easy before 911.. I mean Covid .. I mean Lizard people .. I mean, argh fuck it!
My missus says 'oh great, we dont have to wear masks in Tasmania', I said 'yes you fckn will'

You dont have to stick to the letter of the law, think of it as a bit of self preservation woman !!!

3 workers on the SoT told my friends that the next couple of days was the calm before the storm as it is about to get really busy, apparently from the 15th its chokkers on the boat every sailing.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My friends arrived this afternoon, looks like there is plenty of space in the caravan park. The boat was also empty, they drove straight up the wharf and on to the boat.
They are expecting the place to go crazy from the 16th onwards, full booked out boats and caravan parks.

View attachment 383913
Looks like you are in for some great weather this week, enjoy!

tobbogonist

a registered member
I have a cabin booked in Derby for 3 days mid July. Bunch of friends coming down for a birthday. None of them ride.
They just want a holiday.
How are the trails around July?
I've been in Tas 8 months and still haven't got there. Honestly.. aside from forestry tracks I havnt ridden anything in Tas yet.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I have a cabin booked in Derby for 3 days mid July. Bunch of friends coming down for a birthday. None of them ride.
They just want a holiday.
How are the trails around July?
I've been in Tas 8 months and still haven't got there. Honestly.. aside from forestry tracks I havnt ridden anything in Tas yet.
I saw that there is a sauna on the lake in Derby. That would be awesome in July. Not sure about the trails.