Derby in Tassi

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
might be November
There's a few of us going in November. Should we look at booking shuttles now?

We're looking at the black stump shuttles on Friday and Sunday and this in-between...

How are those guys for shuttles?
Worth booking with them for all 3 days? Or are other companies better for the black stump shuttles?
They also do a 10 shuttle pass for black stump for $120 or $70 a day. How many runs are you likely to get in a day?

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
How are those guys for shuttles?
Worth booking with them for all 3 days? Or are other companies better for the black stump shuttles?
They also do a 10 shuttle pass for black stump for $120 or $70 a day. How many runs are you likely to get in a day?
-disclaimer: UDA is one of the few groups I don’t work for but top people and great value if you go all day.
-when Air Ya Garn ran to the bottom (should be back next season) one character did 17 runs using the Premium buggies.
-booking early is always handy and most operators are totally flexible if you have changes.
-if you don’t ride a lot, going all day, every day can melt a few people when they visit so consider lighter days.
-ask plenty of questions or send PMs if you need more info.

See you in November!

PJO

in me vL comy
Just reading a few articles and Cuddles had some tidy-up today... it doesn't look too hard on the 'A' line... yeah I know what pictures and videos can do to techy features ;)

Looking forward to getting back there.

View attachment 401333
Have you got a pic of the A line?
Those are the B and C lines in the pic you put up.
When I last rode there (in April) the entry to the C line was almost unrideable. There was a slick left turn to negotiate on wet loam. Once you got onto the rock itself it was fine. The B line didn't suffer the same problem because it is rockier.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Have you got a pic of the A line?
Those are the B and C lines in the pic you put up.
Came from Vertigos page, I thought they were A and B with the gap on the bottom of A. It didn't say what they were, it was my mistake. looks like a bit of tidying on Cuddles.

No wonder 'A' looked alright, it was 'B' ;)

ozzybmx

How far is that from the main trails / shuttle drop off point?
Its a hard one, do you do Trouty or Cuddles :rolleyes:

Trouty is the hardest to access as you have to ride up Krushkas or do it from Atlas/Black Dragon... where you still have several KM's of Krushkas to ride.

All 3 routes above mean a Black Stump shuttle to start or you ride up Axehead from the main trailhead.

It would be awesome if there was a shuttle up there.

wkkie

Its a hard one, do you do Trouty or Cuddles :rolleyes:

Trouty is the hardest to access as you have to ride up Krushkas or do it from Atlas/Black Dragon... where you still have several KM's of Krushkas to ride.

All 3 routes above mean a Black Stump shuttle to start or you ride up Axehead from the main trailhead.

It would be awesome if there was a shuttle up there.
So how far roughly from the black stump shuttles drop off point? (For a below average climber... ;) )

A few of us are headed there in November. Black stump shuttles Friday and Sunday and Saturday were doing the first 13 of bay of fires, then blue tier and atlas.

Looking forward to it!!

ozzybmx

A few of us are headed there in November.
Last time I was there was last November :(

The top of Trouty is about 2km of climbing from the Cascade River rocks. You'll get very familiar with the rocks as it the bottom of everything shuttleable.

Trouty is my favourite trail by a mile but followed by Black stump/23 stitches. Most trails lead to lower flickety on that side of the hill, then down to the Cascade river.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
So how far roughly from the black stump shuttles drop off point? (For a below average climber... ;) )

A few of us are headed there in November. Black stump shuttles Friday and Sunday and Saturday were doing the first 13 of bay of fires, then blue tier and atlas.

Looking forward to it!!
Snig is the climb from Black Stump to the top.

It is pleasant.

PJO

in me vL comy
How far is that from the main trails / shuttle drop off point?
Like others have said you need to ride Krushkas to get up to the start of Cuddles, but if you just want to go practice those three slab lines you can push up from the bottom of Cuddles. It takes 10min or less to push up and there is a chicken run off to the side so you can access the top of the slab.
Cuddles comes out where Berms and Ferns starts, this is easiest to access via the fire trail just past the bridge heading out of town away from the main Derby trailhead.

Brow

Big Block
Son and I headed for Derby second last week of Nov, his schoolies week celebration. Anyone ridden the shuttle road up to Black Stump? How long to do it ? average fitness, hiring Trek Slashes.
Staying in a house on the north side of river. Will have a Ranger dual cab hired from Launceston but anyone know if we can ride bikes from end of Derby Station Rd to the unnamed road on Google maps on the north side of river, possibly is actually Rapids trail?
Will have 4 days of riding which I think will waste us easily as neither of us have ridden that much in a short time.

PJO

in me vL comy
Son and I headed for Derby second last week of Nov, his schoolies week celebration. Anyone ridden the shuttle road up to Black Stump? How long to do it ? average fitness, hiring Trek Slashes.
Staying in a house on the north side of river. Will have a Ranger dual cab hired from Launceston but anyone know if we can ride bikes from end of Derby Station Rd to the unnamed road on Google maps on the north side of river, possibly is actually Rapids trail?
Will have 4 days of riding which I think will waste us easily as neither of us have ridden that much in a short time.
Road takes about 25-40min depending on fitness. So likely at the upper end for a Slash and average fitness. Shuttle costs about $12 pp for a single but can get multiple uplift packages making it cheaper per uplift.

I think the unamed Rd you're talking about is the old fire trail that is incorporated into the loop track that goes round the lake, not sure if you can get through the end of Derby Station Rd. Might involve some scrub bashing, but don't know if there is private property to cross...

4 days riding will be great but more would be betterer!! You would do well to cover most of the trails once each in 4 days, have to be damn fit.

If you like jump/flow trails you'll want to ride AirYaGarn about 15 times, the full trail is now open (bottom half as of this weekend) and running well.

A definite must do ride is the Blue Tier trail into Atlas (requires a shuttle and lunch at the Weldborough pub) and is pretty much 40km of riding. If you really want a solid day you could add in the 13km of the Bay of Fires trail, well worth it but makes it a leg burner.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I find it a bit nicer to ride Axehead and lower Long Shadows and peel off onto Cascade Dam Road from there. Cut out the steepest bit of the road climb. But as PJO said, the shuttle isn't that expensive.
1696801677271.png

Station Road finishes where circled and it looks like a track heading up the hill (on private land I would think) and then you might be able hike a bike across to Whochya-Upta. Would be worth a look.
1696801341051.png

wkkie

...Blue Tier trail into Atlas (requires a shuttle and lunch at the Weldborough pub) and is pretty much 40km of riding. If you really want a solid day you could add in the 13km of the Bay of Fires trail, well worth it but makes it a leg burner.
A few of us are heading up at the end of November for 3 days and have booked this exact day.

At the moment we're booked for shuttles Friday, this ride Saturday and shuttles again Sunday. Would we be better off trying to do the first 13 / Blue Tier / Atlas day on the Friday? If so, would we get there in time getting off the Spirit of Tassie first thing Friday morning?

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
A few of us are heading up at the end of November for 3 days and have booked this exact day.

At the moment we're booked for shuttles Friday, this ride Saturday and shuttles again Sunday. Would we be better off trying to do the first 13 / Blue Tier / Atlas day on the Friday? If so, would we get there in time getting off the Spirit of Tassie first thing Friday morning?
Nah, stick with Saturday. Don't reckon you would leave yourself enoungh time for lunch, the Weldborough pub stops serving lunches at 2pm.