Desert Storm Nomad 4

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently jumped at the chance to pick up a secondhand nomad 4 frame for a reasonable price.

I have been riding a nomad 3 with an 11.6 shock and have found the bike amazing. Just curious to ride something a little more modern and shiny. After reading through a very long thread on mtbr, articles on the n4 with some direct comparisons to the n3 I decided I would commit to this new (to me) frame.

After selling my n3 frame and my 11.6, this frame with an X2 shock only owes me $800 which I could stomach. Unfortunately I had to part ways with my 11.6 which was superb. I looked into getting the i2i and stroke changed along with the side stack bridge and a specific tune for the nomad 4, however it was going to cost $650usd plus shipping to and from Push in Colorado so I decided to part ways with it. The frame did not include a shock so I grabbed a metric float X2 off one of the sellers mates which reviews pretty well on this particular bike.

The geometry on the nomad is designed around a 170mm fork and I planned on using parts from my previous build which included a 160mm fox 36 W/ push acs3 coil conversion. Unfortunately to increase travel on the fork requires modifications to both the damper and the push ACS3 kit. I got some quotes for the the damper mods and it was quite pricey so I found a 180mm damper for sale on us eBay for around $100usd which I snapped up. The push kit required $114usd of parts to modify the air bump stop and is a diy job. Still for a measly 10mm of travel it was a costly endeavour. I did breifly post the fork for sale and consider taking advantage of the DVO 20% off sale by purchasing an onyx single crown at 180mm travel. In the end decided I wasn't ready to part with my pushed '36. Finding a reasonably priced complete damper which had been removed from new fork helped me reach this decision. Plus matchy suspension with the X2 shock.

Sizing wise, I was on an xl n3 frame but after looking at the charts on the n4 it sits between the large and the xl when compared to the n3. According to Santa Cruz recommendations i sit between large and xl for the n4. I reckon large should be pretty spot on as I like a playful ride. Will likely swap out the 35mm stem for a 50mm stem and the 760mm bars for some 800mm bars to make it feel a bit bigger.

I have some pretty sweet carbon nextie rims laced to i9 hubs which I want to keep. Since the new frame is boost, I picked up a boost adapter kit of eBay. hopefully there are no issues fitting it. I am a bit worried about my rear rotor size as I have read that the cheap adapters which don't require the rear wheel to be re-dished recommend a maximum rotor size is 180mm and I run 203mm front and rear.

Other things I want to get sorted are:

- RWC needle bearing kit for the rear eyelet on the shock (thanks for the inspiration b-rabbit).

- Boost chain ring for my hope cranks if the chain line is terrible and creates poor shifting

- Fidlock water bottle system

- Change the hose on the brakes from braided to standard (I have one kit in my spares bin), because black.

Specs.

Frame: 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad CC (large)
Shock: Fox factory float X2 (230x60)
Fork: 2018 Fox 36 factory RC2 with push acs3 coil conversion (black spring)
Seatpost: Bikeyoke revive 185mm with triggy remote
Saddle: Ergon SMA comp
Headset: Cane creek 40 series
Stem: Hope 35mm long (35mm clamp)
Handlebars: Racefaceface sixc. Cut to 760mm. (35mm clamp)
Grips: Ergon GA2
Brakes: Hope tech V4 with braided lines
Rotors: Hope floating rotors (203mm front and rear)
Rims: Nextie AM layup 32h 38mm external
Hubs: Industry 9 torch classic 32h (boost adapter in the rear)
Spokes: DT swiss competition with brass nipples
Tyres: Front - Maxxis minion DHF 2.6 x 27.5
Rear - Maxxis DHR 2.4 x 27.5
Shifter: XTR M9000 11sp
Derailleur: XT M8000 11sp (long cage)
Cassette: Sunrace mx8 11-50 11sp
Chain: XTR 11sp
Cranks: Hope (175mm)
Chainring: Hope direct mount boost 32t
Bottom bracket: Hope 30mm spindle
Chainguide: One up bash gaurd and guide combo

Unfortunately I am stuck in Sydney and @TheAzza was kind enough to pick up the frame for me.

Hopefully get back to Melbourne next weekend to swap all the parts over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately i didn't make it to Melbourne to build the thing up and take it for a ride but @TheAzza was kind enough to do it for me.

The chain line was terrible with the non boost chain ring and the guide was rubbing so i ordered a boost chain ring and one up combo bash guard and guide.

Also strangely the rear rotor had clearance issues with the boost adapter, so Azza removed the rotor spacer and it runs without rubbing. Dunno what is going on there but happy he got it to work.

I am beyond stoked with the outcome and cannot wait to take it for a spin.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I may be jumping the gun here, but it's not pulling the rear triangle together is it (assuming you've got a 142x12mm hub in there with no adapter)?

Both the 5010 frames I've had needed to be eased apart slightly to allow the 148x12 hubs to slide in. Not sure if it would be good for the frame to have a smaller hub in there and the axle pulling it inwards.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I assume that the 12x148 endcaps are in place but the rotor spacer has been removed, thus not affecting the dropout alignment.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I assume that the 12x148 endcaps are in place but the rotor spacer has been removed, thus not affecting the dropout alignment.
And I'm an idiot. ;) That'd probably work fine.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^ This. End caps are in place but rotor adapter is not.

Still a little bizaar. Hope brake, hope brake mount, hope rotor

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Aren't the boost Santa Cruz's running a 142x12mm axle, but take a boost wheel. My mates High Tower LT takes a 142x12mm axle but a boost wheel. Maybe that is why you don't need the rotor adaptor?

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
I can see how the Santa Cruz model development meeting went;

Engineer- OK guys, we’ve just spent about 1000 hours developing this new model, about $250k in tooling and we’re ready to put it out to market, thoughts on colour schemes?
Design/marketing dood- awesome bra, was thinking we’ll make it green.
E- sweet!, like some flouro sign board showing how awesome the new model is?
DMD- did I say green? I meant brown.
E- hey that’s awesome, like some deep metallic black/gold/bronze type thing that changes with the light?
DMD- uuummmmmm. See I’ve got this newborn baby, I’m so tired.
E- ah, ok
DMD- yo, see this picture of my baby? We called him Shredder.
E- oh sweet jesus, what the hell happened??
DMD- oh, yeah. He’s not well. But that’s the colour.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Aren't the boost Santa Cruz's running a 142x12mm axle, but take a boost wheel. My mates High Tower LT takes a 142x12mm axle but a boost wheel. Maybe that is why you don't need the rotor adaptor?
Correct - it’s some sort of jiggery-pokery going on with the dropouts. Not sure it explains drizzle’s rotor offset but it could be why - it might also explain why the HTLT doesn’t wear Hope floating rotors well out back - they foul on the inside of the frame apparently.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am heading back to Europe without evening laying eyes on this beast. Probably won't be back until June to take her for a spin. Purely going off Azza's impressions.

@TheAzza was kind enough to fit a boost offset chain ring, one up combination chain guide and Fidlock water bottle system. Looks pretty endurbro I reckon...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I am heading back to Europe without evening laying eyes on this beast. Probably won't be back until June to take her for a spin. Purely going off Azza's impressions.

@TheAzza was kind enough to fit a boost offset chain ring, one up combination chain guide and Fidlock water bottle system. Looks pretty endurbro I reckon...

AirBnB (Bike n Beers) it out while you are away ?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will ride/flog thoroughly and report back.

Bike needs to go to its rightful home ASAP before I buy one to replace my N3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro