Designing and selling MTB jerseys ?

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Guys
Looking for some advice. A while back I was looking for a new jersey for a XC event I was entering in. After much searching on the internet I couldn’t find a design I really liked, so I didn’t end up getting one.
I mentioned this to a mate of mine who is a designer and he actually did some designs that he thought would look good on a jersey. He has now designed about six jerseys and I think they look really great, which got me thinking about getting some made and selling them online.

I think there is market from simple, well designed jerseys. I will have no problems setting up a website to sell the product, but need some advice on how to go about getting the items made.

I presume that it would be best to get them made in Australia. We are going to be after high quality jerseys. Obviously we would need to get some costings to see if it was worth doing.

Does anyone have any ideas of the best way we should approach this? Any companies that we should contact.? We know it will take some time to set up and a lot of effort, we are not looking at starting up next week of anything – just need some advice of the best direction to take.

Any advice would be great!

BT146

Likes Bikes
I'd think any of the local (inc NZ) manufacturers would do small runs, similar to what they do for teams - Krank, NZo(?), Netti, etc.

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
Scody do custom roadie outfits for all the 'charity rides' and team clothing etc.
www.scody.com.au

As far as I know, XC jerseys are pretty much the same as roadie jerseys, so it should be ok.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I suggest googling Chinese (or Taiwanese) sports clothing manufacturers. you'll prolly get a couple of Chinese or Taiwanese B2B sites (disclaimer: be careful with hackers so use appropriate internet security software and procedures)

browse thru their various offerings ... pick a few (5 or 6) manufacturers with product that you like ... then contact them to get pricing. Its time consuming, but worth the effort.

Note: as its clothing ... you'll likely need to buy a sizable number of units to get a big enough discount (note: bright idea below) ... (and don't forget to haggle ... its compulsory for Asian Business) ... the trick is not to be too greedy ... but to know what you want.

This is why it is important to get a few manufactures ... start contacting the ones you least like first ... so that you can refine your haggling on them (ie, by the time you get to the one or two you really want to use ... you'll roughly know what the price will be ... then offer 30% lower as a starting point).

Alternatively, I maybe able to hook you up with a contact based in Honkers ... but that may cost money ... worth considering.

Bright idea ... and presuming your not loaded to the hilt with capital ... maybe offer a group buy off here ... with a few of your designs at a discount (hint hint) ... this gets you to sample the manufacturing quality ... gets some of your product out to market and helps your fellow Farkers (uhmmmm like me) My jerseys stink to high heaven at present and I could do with a few new ones (Nerf Herder lettering on the shoulders please ;))
(disclaimer: may want to ask one of the mods first ... purely out of respect really ... say Johnny, Dozer, Demoman(sp), Wombat, Grip ?? ... I'd PM Johnny as he be the Man in China ... and I think has previously tried to hook up some Farkin Tees

Note: I do not currently import crap and do not have direct small business experience ... however, I did exactly what I outlined above with success for a potential business proposition ... but pulled the plug prior to committing to an agreement, as I was a little to risk adverse and the product was a little too generic. ... yes I'm a Finance wanker.

Good luck ... and happy to talk via PM

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the advice.

We have been working away on designs and we are now at a stage that we really need to look at the cost of turning our ideas into an actual product.

Point taken about sourcing a overseas product, there is so much out there and really cheap. However, we have decided that we would at least try and source the product locally and support Australian business.

Saying that, it looks it is going to be a pretty hard task. We have contacted a few places ( some of the above links) and we have found that all the places are good, but they treat the items as "custom made" so you still end up paying a premium to have them made. As we are going to on - sell we are either going to have to make a small profit or sell the jerseys for a high price.

We think we need to skip the middle man and deal with the manufacturing businesses direct. Any ideas? are we living a dream? do we need to bite the bullet and source overseas?

Would be really interested in some feedback

John U

MTB Precision
Paul from Astroboy Racer got some kick arse jerseys made. One of the best designs I have seen. I think he went through a fair bit of shit to get them made and he may have gone through the same process you are thinking about going through. It would be a good idea to contact him and have a chat.

Get onto him at
http://www.astroboyracer.com/

Fridge-Seal

Likes Bikes
I would go with the suggestions made by Evil_Duffman, BT146 and hmcleay. Because those are all really good companies, who all make great quality gear...also you'd kind of be supporting local industry-rather than you money going to the far east it would stay in the Australia/NZ area...you know what I mean. :D

BT146

Likes Bikes
Another idea to consider is a tie up with one of the manufacturers listed in the earlier posts, and sell your design manufactured by X.

There is an online business model where designs are posted, buyers vote (and effectively commit to purchasing) on a design of their choice. The design that hits the highest votes (and minimum quantity required for small run manufacture) gets made and you have effectively "sold" the product before it's made as the buyers credit card gets charged as they have committed to the purchase.

Happy to clarify if needed.

akashra

Eats Squid
There's plenty of other options not already mentioned in this thread, including and not limited to:
2XU
Sugoi
Cannibal
Champion Systems
Santini

Results may vary.

Oakley19

Squid
No Minimin custom cycling apparel

Hey Guys if you are looking for any custom designed cycling apparel check out zerofive.com.au

No minimum order
No extra charges

Completely custom designed, patterns made in Australia

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

I started this thread 7 months ago and I am please to report that I am in the final stages of setting up a boutique jersey and clothing range.

I think we will have a product that fellow mtb riders will be impressed with.

We are also looking at producing jerseys for major events, so if anyone is interested in a quote just drop me a line.

cheers

Barspin Imports

Likes Dirt
What's your strategy?
Who's your target market?
What numbers do you think you'll sell?
What will you be making on each jersey?
Why will people/riders buy your jersey over some of the other brands?
Why is your product better?
If I can get my own custom jerseys made, why bother with you guys?

You really need to have all this sorted - and more!

Sorry to be harsh, but I used to be a corporate banker.

At the end of the day, if this is just going to be a hobby business and you're only making $5 to $10 a jersey... well then ---- why?

A quick "on the back of a post it" - how much money do you want to make? How many jerseys do you need to sell to make it? That will give you some honest answers.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
What's your strategy?
Who's your target market?
What numbers do you think you'll sell?
What will you be making on each jersey?
Why will people/riders buy your jersey over some of the other brands?
Why is your product better?
If I can get my own custom jerseys made, why bother with you guys?

You really need to have all this sorted - and more!

Sorry to be harsh, but I used to be a corporate banker.

At the end of the day, if this is just going to be a hobby business and you're only making $5 to $10 a jersey... well then ---- why?

A quick "on the back of a post it" - how much money do you want to make? How many jerseys do you need to sell to make it? That will give you some honest answers.
All very good questions - and all things that we have (well most ) considered.

Without answering all of your questions but to give you some background I have a design background and it annoys me that jerseys seem to come from the road bike scene. It annoyed me that I couldnt get a slick looking (simple ) jersey without having a 100 logos in bright colors and looking like I just got off the "tour". I have a lot of mates who don't wear jerseys "because they all look g@y"

Our MTB jerseys are going to be a "range" and we won't be in the custom jersey business ( unless it's over a 100, so major events ).