Determining race grade/class

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So, I'm planning to try and enter more races of the #endubro and DH varieties this year and next... not that my riding or fitness is good enough to be competitive, but I like the idea of riding a set course designed for a race.

Anyway, I have only entered one race, on an ill-equipped bike with totally unsuitable tyres for the conditions.
Needless to say I didn't have a great deal of fun. That, coupled with some unfortunate problems with the event left me with a fairly bitter taste... but after almost a year I'm nearly ready to try again.

However, I'm curious - how do people go about choosing which grade/class they race in?
Looking at timing from the race I entered, for example, some of the quicker times in the low classes were besting half the times in the higher classes.

To me that doesn't really make a great deal of sense, so I'm left confused about how people go about determining which class they should ride in!
Almost makes me think that people's practice day(s) should be timed and then divided up into categories by the event organizers before race day.

I'm sure many of you guys race, or have raced a bit. Can anybody provide some insight?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A lot of the time, in amateur racing, unless you're known then it's all self seeding and you do inevitably end up with people in a lower grade.

If the events are being run by a club, contact them and they may be able to give you some guidelines.

Our local XC club has tried to prevent low grade sandbagging by introducing a series cash prize down to 10th in our Elite class with other grades offering sponsors product as prizes.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Almost makes me think that people's practice day(s) should be timed and then divided up into categories by the event organizers before race day.
Then the people who'd rather do well will sandbag their times in practice to stay in a lower class, because beating less skilled riders is important.

If your thinking of doing something like the Cressy descent, might be worth comparing to some strava times (if you use it) to get an idea? Not sure if they'll do it again, but a few years ago they based classes off the finish times so people couldn't sandbag, not a bad idea for a club race.

All that's important is you place a better time than your mates, regardless of class!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Most of the bigger races will be split into elite (fastest), expert (fast enough) and sport (fun enough). If you are capable on a downhill bike and are hitting all the lines then I suggest expert as a minimum as you're clearly not entering to win.
When I run club races, I run two categories: Open and junior with Junior being guys that are under 18 years old. If the young guys want to race in the open class then go for it. It's for fun after all. ;) I also rig the timing and hand penalties out where I feel like it as some guys show up acting like fuckwits; fair play I reckon, gives them two things to improve on: One is their riding so they can beat the guy in front next time and two; be less of a fuckwit next time out.

*Disclaimer: If I had access to the timing for national rounds then yeah, I'd apply the same logic. :llama:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Never heard the term 'sandbagging' before, haha.
I had a feeling that topic might come up though... bit of a shame people can't be trusted to just be honest.

I had considered jumping into the Cressy race, but I've run the track so many times at shuttle days already I'm a bit bored by it.
Although maybe interested to try on the Spitfire rather than the DH bike as it's pretty pedally through the mid section, and I only ever use around 160mm travel at Youies anyway.

I don't use Strava, but it might be worth a look anyway just to see what kind of times people run on various tracks to determine where I fit in before entering a race.

I guess my main concern is that I don't want to be holding up much faster riders by entering higher than suitable for me, and in turn, jeopardising my own time by chilling and moving out of the way for them... which happened a lot in the one race I did enter. :)

I entered expert last time to join a friend, even though I considered entering the over 30s category... I did really badly.
My bike skills have improved a fair amount since then, but I'm still wary and really don't like getting in people's way.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Do all races have a 30+ class?
I did some Google-Fu and saw some have 35+, but I'm not that far along yet. :)

Staunch

Eats Squid
All VDHS races have a Veterans class (30+). Some local club races only do 35+, but at those you'd be right in B grade if you've got some sort of bike skills. Worse comes to worse and you feel like you're at the wrong level, you just change to the more suitable category the next race.

Last edited:

Elbie

Likes Bikes
Yes, in the Vic dh series (VDHS) 30-39 is classified as Veterans but is very competitive seems most elite riders just move to vets when they turn 30.

Sport class is great for a first dh event or beginner class but you can only enter beginner class for 2 events.

You seem to always get sandbagging in every class except elite.

T-Rex

Template denier
For DH at anything below National level, you should be able to talk the starter into giving you a gap if you think the guy behind you is going to pass you. When you are lined up for the start, just have a chat to the guy behind, get an idea how fast he is or isn't, then ask the starter to leave an extra 30 seconds. Alternatively, if you know your are going to be right off the back, talk to the timing guys before they put the start list together, and ask them to put you at the back of your group.

As for which class, some people like to run in the "A" group, because they get a seeding run as well as a race run..... Not sure if this is the case in VDHS, but it is in the NSW State series. Plenty of people just like to race for the vibe and the time on the clock, not the sheep stations on offer for prizes. And if you get seeded for your race run, you shouldn't get passed unless you have a mechanical or a crash.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
for DH, for me it's age based - over 40s ftw. I've only ever done one 'proper DH race', and I think I mistakenly entered the 30 to 40s class. Pfft. I blame early onset dementia - but hell, it was just for shits and gigs. For enduro format races, talk to the riders lining up around you and have a quick word to the start timer to sort out any timing management stuff :). In my first ever enduro format race I lined up for the hardest stage and then saw the number 1 plate roll in behind me. fuck! A quick chat sorted it all out, dude would have overtaken me at the standard 30 second gap - on a four minute stage.