Deviate Highlander - more common around here than a Farkin Banshee

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@ozzybmx, are you still feeling the resistance in the idler as you pedal / back pedal?
Is it noticable as you're pedalling and climbing?

Mine was there for one ride then just disappeared completely.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@ozzybmx, are you still feeling the resistance in the idler as you pedal / back pedal?

In the stand if I spin the cranks backwards they spin just like any bike. Maybe they stop just a touch sooner but I was surprised I expected heaps more resistance. When I pissed the seals harp harp off its spins even better. No real world testing yet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

No, because I have been running the loose idler.

I know what it can spin like with ceramic bearings and an idler spindle that doesn't deform the bearing. If I give it a flick without a chain fitted, it spins 3-4 times, absolute zero resistance.

The idler that came on the bike made the perfectly free spinning bearings notchy as soon as they were fitted.

My goal is free spinning and silent :)
I would think with an in spec idler, this would be very achievable.

The 'fat' idler only needs a bees dick taken off the bearing surface using a lathe to make it useable. The skinny one is ninja star use only.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

I know what it can spin like with ceramic bearings and an idler spindle that doesn't deform the bearing. If I give it a flick without a chain fitted, it spins 3-4 times, absolute zero resistance.

The idler that came on the bike made the perfectly free spinning bearings notchy as soon as they were fitted.

The 'fat' idler only needs a bees dick taken off the bearing surface using a lathe to make it useable. The skinny one is ninja star use only.
You’d nock that dick off with emery.
Put it in the spinny boi and give it a good rub down.
I’d be more inclined to dimple the undersize one and use bearing retainer.

Jpez

Down on the left!

5 inch grinder should do the trick! ;)

ozzybmx

You’d nock that dick off with emery.
Put it in the spinny boi and give it a good rub down.
Spot on @Ultra Lord !

I made up a jig to hold the idler with the oversized spindle and allow me access to the bearing surfaces, put it in the drill and wrapped some emery over a little metal block. Sanded off the black ano and left it sitting at 17.00mm on the head.

Pressed on the ceramic bearings and they spun freely without the notchy feeling.

Back onto the bike and the idler spins freely, have now done 2 short rides with no noise :)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Spot on @Ultra Lord !

I made up a jig to hold the idler with the oversized spindle and allow me access to the bearing surfaces, put it in the drill and wrapped some emery over a little metal block. Sanded off the black ano and left it sitting at 17.00mm on the head.

Pressed on the ceramic bearings and they spun freely without the notchy feeling.

Back onto the bike and the idler spins freely, have now done 2 short rides with no noise :)

View attachment 382892
No cliff top Tai Chi for you though… :(

beeb

Gotta say @ozzybmx - the whole package of your bike looks mint. I love the frame colour (suits the frame shape beautifully), and even the DVO green anno actually ties in nicely thanks to the OCD black (and white) everything else. Every time you post a pic I’m like “Damn that looks fresh!”. ;)

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Gotta say @ozzybmx - the whole package of your bike looks mint. I love the frame colour (suits the frame shape beautifully), and even the DVO green nano actually ties in nicely thanks to the OCD black (and white) everything else. Every time you post a pic I’m like “Damn that looks fresh!”. ;)
Cheers @beeb

Pretty happy with the Skye Blue.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Spot on @Ultra Lord !

View attachment 382892
I know how to bodge a machined part back within tolerance, don’t you worry about that.

shakes fist at all the ancient machinery I’ve had to bandaid back into serviceable condition

Only problem now is you’re down to one ninja star so you’ll have ask the lad for it back before you throw it at the other one. Can’t be throwing good serviceable parts around now.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gotta say @ozzybmx - the whole package of your bike looks mint. I love the frame colour (suits the frame shape beautifully), and even the DVO green anno actually ties in nicely thanks to the OCD black (and white) everything else. Every time you post a pic I’m like “Damn that looks fresh!”. ;)
Very true, but needs more shots showing drive side for high idler goodness :)

ozzybmx

Been nearly a year since last post.

Bike still going strong and smooth after 18 months of ownership and 1750km on the clock :)

Had a bit of dropper ghosting on my last ride and pulled the dropper mid ride to find the whole dropper actuator was corroded, the cable was rusted stiff and it was really wet with condensation under the seatpost.

Remembered a post on the Deviate Clan FB page from a while back about the Highlander being super waterproof (to a fault) where there was no drain hole in the frame.

The Scottish and Euros were dealing with it fine as they are used to servicing bikes after wet rides, doing droppers, BB's and headsets.

Anyhow, my frame was visibly wet down around the BB area and even up the 'tube' that the dropper cable is routed down. The cable was rusted in the cable outer and the actuator was a mess.

Dropped the actuator into the cleaner for a couple of goes, brushing the gunge out between runs. Flushed out the frame with a hose and drained it out, now got a small fan blowing in there until tomorrow to completely dry it out.

Seems the water is getting down there from the dropper cable entry hole up near the headtube, it then runs down inside the tube and gathers near the BB. This then has nowhere to go as the frame is watertight with no drain holes. There may also be some running around the seatpost and causing the corrosion on the dropper post.

20220914_155654.jpg

The seatpost shaft of the dropper is also lumpy and corroded as the area cant get rid of water that gets in there.

20220914_160025.jpg

Seatpost servicing was still spot on, still lubed and clean from last service.

20220914_161325.jpg

20220914_162303.jpg

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Been nearly a year since last post.

Bike still going strong and smooth after 18 months of ownership and 1750km on the clock :)

Had a bit of dropper ghosting on my last ride and pulled the dropper mid ride to find the whole dropper actuator was corroded, the cable was rusted stiff and it was really wet with condensation under the seatpost.

Remembered a post on the Deviate Clan FB page from a while back about the Highlander being super waterproof (to a fault) where there was no drain hole in the frame.

The Scottish and Euros were dealing with it fine as they are used to servicing bikes after wet rides, doing droppers, BB's and headsets.

Anyhow, my frame was visibly wet down around the BB area and even up the 'tube' that the dropper cable is routed down. The cable was rusted in the cable outer and the actuator was a mess.

Dropped the actuator into the cleaner for a couple of goes, brushing the gunge out between runs. Flushed out the frame with a hose and drained it out, now got a small fan blowing in there until tomorrow to completely dry it out.

Seems the water is getting down there from the dropper cable entry hole up near the headtube, it then runs down inside the tube and gathers near the BB. This then has nowhere to go as the frame is watertight with no drain holes. There may also be some running around the seatpost and causing the corrosion on the dropper post.

View attachment 392791

The seatpost shaft of the dropper is also lumpy and corroded as the area cant get rid of water that gets in there.

View attachment 392792

Seatpost servicing was still spot on, still lubed and clean from last service.

View attachment 392793

View attachment 392794
Time to put a ring on it;

Or a Willy;

beeb

Jokes aside, I thought Deviate OK'd drilling a small hole under the BB? There was even a template from memory? @Jpez was this a thing you did or am I tripping balls?

ozzybmx

Jokes aside, I thought Deviate OK'd drilling a small hole under the BB? There was even a template from memory? @Jpez was this a thing you did or am I tripping balls?
That would be a good thing... might contact them for an official nod.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Haven’t heard anything about that. I did notice the other day after giving my bike a bigger wash than usual that every time I used the dropper it blew air (or moisture) out of the dropper routing hole. So it’s obviously very well sealed except for that port.
I service my dropper every few months and haven’t noticed any corrosion or excess moisture around it though.