Devinci Troy - Eye Bleach Edition

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
ABP rear end, I thought that Trek had that design fairly well locked down.

EDIT: Never paid much attention to the Devinci's but looks like the older ones had it as well.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Any guesses as to maximum dropper post insertion length? Maybe if it were banana shaped shaped it'd be ok.

Z

Zaf

No, Trek stole it from DW
Court ruling proved they best the reached same design via different pathways. Hence different patents being issued.

@Psimpson7 Super Boost is a better standard than Boost, at least it has backwards compatibility to it. There's a good reason everyone's adopting it instead, because why wouldn't you?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
@Psimpson7 Super Boost is a better standard than Boost, at least it has backwards compatibility to it. There's a good reason everyone's adopting it instead, because why wouldn't you?!
Because its yet another standard, on top of another standard and another that wasn't even really required. Not even all Devinci's new bikes are running it. Ie the very recently released Spartan is just Boost. Also currently there are almost no wheels / hubs available. Pivots trail 429 runs it and apparently they wont sell a frame only in some/all/most markets due to difficultly of currently getting parts to suit.

Edited to add I actually quite like the look of the new Troy

Z

Zaf

But now that Devinci are picking it up, the entire Knolly catalog has moved to it and Pivot have three bikes in their line up with it...it's starting to get critical mass. I think boost is the 15mm axle of the rear axle standards, second best solution to a problem that didn't really exist. But since they made the solution anyway, Superboost is genuinely a better standard.

Now if they had gone for a gearbox, they could have just slammed a 20mm axle in the rear and wouldn't need stupid any-boost spacing in order to accommodate a cassette (should just make this line a signature to all my posts).

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
yeah I dont disagree really, its just incredibly frustrating that there have been so many intermediate and unnecessary steps to get where we are going to be soon. I wanted one of the new Pivot trail 429s (probably as its one of very few bikes they make that looks nice) but the rear axle and difficulty of getting parts changed my mind which was shame

Z

Zaf

yeah I dont disagree really, its just incredibly frustrating that there have been so many intermediate and unnecessary steps to get where we are going to be soon. I wanted one of the new Pivot trail 429s (probably as its one of very few bikes they make that looks nice) but the rear axle and difficulty of getting parts changed my mind which was shame
What parts are you concerned about needing? It's just a rear hub, and even then, free-hub bodies are common within the brand even if they plug into a different shell (I can take any of my DT Swiss star ratchets and fre-hub bodies and stuff it in any boost, super boost or 142x12 hub).
I had very few options of Boost SS hubs when going to the Nicolai, but the options I did go with are high quality, and I've only had a single hub in my 6-years of MTB'ing fail on me (beyond repair). That said, it's your money, and can understand the concern to some degree, but I think just go for it! Don't let a rear hub stand in the way of something you want, everything's a compromise in the end.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Am I missing something here? I thought you could run an old 150mm bolt up hub with x12 adapters and voila! Super boost.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Am I missing something here? I thought you could run an old 150mm bolt up hub with x12 adapters and voila! Super boost.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Nah man. You need to drill it out to 15mm and then run a rock shock male through it.