DH etiquette

GloryRider

Cannon Fodder
Newb respecting the maturity

Guys, hugely impressed with everyone's understanding of common courtesy and mutual respect. The above post that adds some stuff that they have seen personally is spot on and just as important as the original post itself.

I've ridden with a bunch of guys from completely different backgrounds in the one crew, but the best thing about the day was the fact that everyone had the same idea. Respect, looking out for one another, fun, and (of course) adrenalin. But not everyone has the same idea so it's great to clarify everything so that we all play by rules that make sense. And also to respect the opinion of those that have been around longest.

Most of it I knew, but great hints like how and when to repair jumps. I only hit those that I know I can do properly, but if I ever damaged them in a stack I now know exactly what to do.

Nice one fellas

rusty91

Squid
Yer nice, good info. Ive been riding for a while but only just started to get into DH so now i know the rules atlest. All common sense though. Thanks

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Here is a tricky etiquette question...

I've been going on a few shuttle days with the Bike Shed. The guys on it are usually pretty good. I am a slow dh'er - prone to suddenly stopping on the first run. For this reason I usually wait until everyone has gone and ride down last. All day long I wait until everyone has gone.

However, they guys generally like to have a bit of a nanna at the top of the trail head; chew some cud etc. It is really annoying. You can wait a couple minutes before they start off to ride.

I don't like to ride off in front (I am slower and they are faster), but should I? If they are taking sooooo long to get started, should they just suffer when they catch up to me? Remember this is a shuttle day - no timing and I am not that slow. I don't want to pull off the track every single time.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I don't like to ride off in front (I am slower and they are faster), but should I? If they are taking sooooo long to get started, should they just suffer when they catch up to me? Remember this is a shuttle day - no timing and I am not that slow. I don't want to pull off the track every single time.
Whether you are slow or fast you should never stop on the track. Pull off to the side before stopping and you'll be fine

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Whether you are slow or fast you should never stop on the track. Pull off to the side before stopping and you'll be fine
Well I think that blanket statement is just silly.

On the first run on a new track how would you know if the thing up ahead is ridable (on your current line)? Sometimes it is only at the last minute that you realise that riding the stunt is complete folly. Hence hauling on the anchors.

Which is why I wait until last for the first run - no one to bother then. The above is ideal - if you know what is coming up. Sometimes you don't.

Later on, when more familiar with the track, sure I pull off and have a look. I always check things out before riding (caveat emptor). Track conditions change.

Last edited:

thecat

Well I think that blanket statement is just silly.
Nothing silly about it. It's standard rule of thumb for riding on single trail. You don't stop in the middle of the trail you pull off to the side.

This is especially true for DH where the full face might muffle the sounds of some one pinning down behind you.

Never said you can't stop and check out obstacles, you just don't do it on the riding line you pull off to the side.

It's no big deal. Go first. If or when the others catch up they'll just have to wait for you to pull over. The rider in front has right of way but it's polite to pull over as soon as possible.

You'll find, out side of a race, anyone who is not a complete wanker will notice you ahead and notice you're a bit slower and so pull over themselves to let you get further down before continuing on anyhow

Last edited:

AshR

Likes Dirt
It's no big deal. Go first. If or when the others catch up they'll just have to wait for you to pull over. The rider in front has right of way but it's polite to pull over as soon as possible.
and the following riders should be calling "Track" etc so you know when they're gaining :)

I normally find it easy to pull over for people coming down because they are spaced apart and aren't rude about me getting out of the way and actually say thanks- usually- which is fine for me because i'm a slow rider. Although it's normally ok a few months ago in Canberra a whole group of cross country riders were going down the track- which was fine- it wasn't a race or anything and yes i'm a slower rider but I cracked the shits big time because they would all yell rider at me to get off the track for like 25 people. How can i learn to flow down when i'm FOREVER getting off the track. AND they weren't nice about it and didn't say thanks, they were rude! On top of that when it took me a few seconds to find a suitable spot to stop they were bitching that i wouldn't get off the track!!

Etiquette goes two ways! If your nice about it and not horrible sure i'll get off the track but stop yelling rider at me when:
a) I can hear you
b) I can't get off the track
c) I have to get off the track for 50 riders who AREN'T racing (otherwise i wouldn't be on the track- obviously!)

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Age categories for the state series

Can people clarify for me how the age categories are worked out for the NSW DH state series?
At the first round in Thredbo talking to people there seems to be some confusion amongst the parents as to what category there kids should run in and how the age groups are worked out.

thecat

Can people clarify for me how the age categories are worked out for the NSW DH state series?
At the first round in Thredbo talking to people there seems to be some confusion amongst the parents as to what category there kids should run in and how the age groups are worked out.
It goes off your age as of the 31st of December so if the kid turns 15 before that date he needs to enter to U17.

Before people cry foul just remember that the 16yos that have a birthday before the end of December have to enter u19... Every body is racing kids their own age and most kids get 2 seasons in each age group.

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
It seems like common sense and common courtesy for the most part.... but it's alway good to have that kind stuff as reinforcement for those who don't deem themselves common....

fyurin

Squid
Thanks for the information. Really helped yesterday when I had my first ride at Beerburrum knowing what to do after I took a trip over the hangers :p

jcue

Squid
good read for first time racers to have a look at, covers pretty much everything you need to know to start racing.

pile_driver

Likes Bikes
this is great info, it may be second nature to some of you seasoned fellas but the sport ALWAYS has new comers (myself included) and this is important for them and you
them: so they know what to do if any of these situations presents themselves
you: so us noobs know why you are yelling track at us!

Good job OP