DH Goggles Information

timrob

Likes Dirt
Hello All,

I have recently kicked off my endeavour into DH riding and am now at the stage where i would like to get a set of goggles.
I have looked around a bit, tried some on and now im after some feedback from people who potentially live inside there goggles and swear by them!
Local to me i can get my hands on Oakley Crowbars and O-Frames with the Crowbars being my preference. However I currently have a few peices of POC armour and i understand that they make a few sets of goggles one of which (Iris Flow) has a photometric lens (clear - persimmon) anyone out there own a set of these? or has something similar? is it worth getting such a lens or buying a standard with multiple lenses? I understand that Single lens MX goggles are preferable however i found many MX goggles are double lens!
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
(I also use a THE FF helmet if that is any help)

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello All,

I have recently kicked off my endeavour into DH riding and am now at the stage where i would like to get a set of goggles.
I have looked around a bit, tried some on and now im after some feedback from people who potentially live inside there goggles and swear by them!
Local to me i can get my hands on Oakley Crowbars and O-Frames with the Crowbars being my preference. However I currently have a few peices of POC armour and i understand that they make a few sets of goggles one of which (Iris Flow) has a photometric lens (clear - persimmon) anyone out there own a set of these? or has something similar? is it worth getting such a lens or buying a standard with multiple lenses? I understand that Single lens MX goggles are preferable however i found many MX goggles are double lens!
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
(I also use a THE FF helmet if that is any help)
Hi mate,
I was in the same situation not long ago.. although i hated wearing goggles as i bought a cheap pair and they fogged up all of the time!
I was recently in San Fran and bought some Oakley Crowbars for 50 bucks and have never looked back, I now live in these things and swear by them.
I have a THE helmet as well and they fit nicely.
Replacement lenses are cheap as so many of my mates have wrecked their lenses (usually from the bike falling over on the lenses while the goggles are resting on the handlebars).
Ive never tried the POC ones but would highly recommend the crowbars.

Also i think you can get different types of lenses from the states for the crowbars if you need to. I saw about 10 different types when i bought mine but just decided on the clears.

timrob

Likes Dirt
much appreciated, the Corwbars seamed to be a pretty good standard, not sure what the price of replacement lens would be for POC goggles, if smashing lenses is a frequent occurence i think readily available/cheap lenses would outweight the bennefits of photometric lenses!

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
much appreciated, the Corwbars seamed to be a pretty good standard, not sure what the price of replacement lens would be for POC goggles, if smashing lenses is a frequent occurence i think readily available/cheap lenses would outweight the bennefits of photometric lenses!
Yep, they are also very easy to scratch!

macca21

Likes Dirt
oakleys are a solid choice, i've recently gone to dragon which i've found are even better. found them to be much more resistant to fogging and just have a more quality 'feel' to them.
you'll probably find that anything around $100 or more will be decent. it's worth spending the extra money, they'll last and it makes buying new lenses more justifyable.
i'd stick to the big names in goggles, ie. dragon, fox, oakley, smith etc. as they're far easier to find dealers, and as a result lenses and the like.
hope this helps.

Last edited:

stinkybigmacc

Likes Dirt
I started out with a pair of Scotts which I found hampered my peripheral vision. I then bought some Crowbars at the same time as my mate bought his Dragons. In the end we ended up swapping! I like the Dragons because for me they provide better vision and the softer frame feels more comfortable.

swatto90

Likes Dirt
choices

ive had dragons and crowbars and oframes
the o frames are good on a tight budget but i rate the crow bars the lenses are only 15 bucks a pop
i would also say go to a good motorbike shop they normally stock lots of goggle and are cheaper
i can get them cheaper at a moto store up the road from me then i can get them off chain reaction or TBSM etc
for some reason they sell us the same goggle but throw 50 bucks on the price tag but good hunting

InvadingFear

Likes Bikes
Ive got a set of Fox Main goggles but i havent actually used em yet coz i havent been riding since i got em. The thing with the crowbars is that they wont fit into all DH helmets. Majority of DH helmets (correct me if im wrong here) seem to have a smaller and/or thinner open section as opposed to MX helmets. This is what I was told by my LBS owner and after comparing my helemt to my mates mx helmet it seems to be the case there. I was so close to buying Oakley Crowbars but didnt because of this problem. BTW, i have a 2008 661 Pro Bravo Helmet.

One other thing was that Oakley Crowbar lenses are a little difficult to come by in SA, atleast in towns in the hills, close to the tracks anyway. Like i said, if someone can prove me wrong then by all means go ahead, but thats just my understanding anyways

Cheers
Matt

timrob

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for the info! Seams crowbars are the generic weapon of choice, i looked at some RudyProjects, i have a set of there normal riding glasses for the roadie and i love them! they offer a scratch replacement warranty on the lenses (for a cost of $15) which puts them on par with the Oakley's, however RudyProjects have a limited lens colour selection.

timrob

Likes Dirt
Tempted just to get Ian to order the POC DH goggles in Orange... simply because they are bright orange! Pitty they dont do this goggle with the transition lens.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
This is what I was told by my LBS owner and after comparing my helemt to my mates mx helmet it seems to be the case there.
Sounds like your LBS was just trying to get a sale to me.

I run a 661 carbon evo helmet and currently use Spy Targa11mx goggles. No complaints from me. I also allways run 1 tear off just to protect the lense from lighter impacts.

Ive also previously used the Spy Magneto with good results.

timrob

Likes Dirt
Took my helmet down to the local moto shop and tried on a range of goggles, and I reckon the age old Oakley o-frames are the winner for me! Found the crowbars to be too wide, they protuded beyond the bounds of the helmet where as the o-frames sat snug inside, dragons i thought where too restrictive in view up and down, whilst smiths weren't the most comfortable foam wise.

Im using Dragon Vendetta I goggles at the moment. They don't fog up too easily, and are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. They also feel solid to handle, and the lenses fit the frame tightly.