Votes: 30 47.6%
  • 60-63 deg

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • <60 deg

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just curious what head-angles people are running out there?

Obviously most of the bikes come with a set head angle, but there are now some (like my Orange 224) where this can be adjusted slightly.

Ride reports may be interesting depending on what head-angle you prefer, what bike etc and why..

Last edited:

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
64 on a Demo 8.

Slack is how DH bikes should be, I hate it when companies like Giant put out DH bikes with 66 degree headangles.

nskz

Likes Dirt
64 on a Demo 8.

Slack is how DH bikes should be, I hate it when companies like Giant put out DH bikes with 66 degree headangles.
Fairly thorough argument there. I'm sure Giant don't mind though it's easily the most popular downhill bike in Australia buy a large margin. Sure, it's highly competitive in pricing terms but obviously it's not so bad that it's un-ridable. Furthermore with the announcement of Cane Creeks 'Angle set' it's an issue of the past as almost every DH bike currently in production just developed the ability to have adjustable head angle.

Now every fanboy too can ride their Glory with a world cup pimp head angle in the 63 degree range on their local 1/10 gradient trail. Happy days :D

Anyone who reads ridemonkey etc will be aware of the hilarity that ensues surrounding this debate. Personally, of course there is a place for a 63deg HA downhill bike, I just don't think there are that many places in Australia where we have the tracks and gradient that demand it (though for sure you do need to run that slack to earn world cup pimp status). I do however like the adjustable trend as obviously the more options available to the end user for him/her to tune their bike the better.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone who reads ridemonkey etc will be aware of the hilarity that ensues surrounding this debate. Personally, of course there is a place for a 63deg HA downhill bike, I just don't think there are that many places in Australia where we have the tracks and gradient that demand it (though for sure you do need to run that slack to earn world cup pimp status). I do however like the adjustable trend as obviously the more options available to the end user for him/her to tune their bike the better.
I wouldn't say that theres not many places for it. I think it comes more down to feel than anything else.
Last bike was 64, new bikes stock at 66, but we're using a different linkage to get it to 63.5 with a lower BB. For me that would feel better, but i have a mate who rides a 2010 glory who prefers the 66 on that compared to my 64 and vice versa.

I think its more about how you like it to feel rather than actual suitability, your going to ride better with something your comfortable on rather then what might "suit" what the track is like. To a point of course.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Now every fanboy too can ride their Glory with a world cup pimp head angle in the 63 degree range on their local 1/10 gradient trail. Happy days :D
LOL! Quote of the day?

I ride 66 and my bike is adjustable to either 64 or 66 but I don't ride super steep tracks most of the time and do a lot of jumping so the 66 suites me better. When it does get super steep I just lean back a little more ;)

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ummm, can anyone actually name a frame with a sub 63 deg head angle....

pretty sure the lapiare came with adjustable head angle sub 63deg.

im riding a 303rdh head angles at 63, most of the tracks i ride are fairly steep or have steep sections so i really like it. my old bike was at 64.5 or 65, and i much prefer the slacker head angle, doesnt feel so twitchy.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ummm, can anyone actually name a frame with a sub 63 deg head angle....
My Orange 224 can for one.. (though it is only advised with correct shock size/adjustment so nothing hits etc) Ive actually tried with a 60deg HA and feels fine as we tend to ride pretty steep stuff where i usually ride. Makes it a lot more stable. I think also suspension setup plays a big part. As i run a tuned Elka shock and it sits very high in the travel so doesn’t sag much initially at all.

Also.. a manufacturers claimed “HA” isnt what usually ends up what it actually is. As soon as you sit on the bike depending on shock setup, sag, your weight etc the bike may sag down considerably more!
eg: most v10’s have a 65.5 deg (i think it is) but because of there design to sag they even themselves out to a more normal rider/HA setup.

One bike which does come to mind is the new Mondraker which you can adjust less than 60deg. And i swear i’ve seen Gee Atherton run something super slack as well..

Correction.. just thinking now.. i think the v10’s are even 67deg HA?

Last edited:

nskz

Likes Dirt
My Orange 224 can for one.. (though it is only advised with correct shock size/adjustment so nothing hits etc) Ive actually tried with a 60deg HA and feels fine as we tend to ride pretty steep stuff where i usually ride. Makes it a lot more stable. I think also suspension setup plays a big part. As i run a tuned Elka shock and it sits very high in the travel so doesn’t sag much initially at all.

Also.. a manufacturers claimed “HA” isnt what usually ends up what it actually is. As soon as you sit on the bike depending on shock setup, sag, your weight etc the bike may sag down considerably more!
eg: most v10’s have a 65.5 deg (i think it is) but because of there design to sag they even themselves out to a more normal rider/HA setup.

One bike which does come to mind is the new Mondraker which you can adjust less than 60deg. And i swear i’ve seen Gee Atherton run something super slack as well..
You're dead right on the 'dynamic head angle' situation, IE once you're sitting on the bike and it's sitting in its sag etc....it's an entirely different ballgame. As you mention the V10 has a 'fairly steep' stock HA (thought it was steeper than 65.5, pre carbon version?) but it's a 10" travel bike so when you're riding it it is considerably slacker, dynamically, than say an 8" bike with the same static head angle.

There are a few production bikes that go super slack, like the Mondraker summum that you mention and the orange, '09 comencals? I doubt Gee's bike is a factory frame though, it always looks crazy slack...and Barel has run some super slack angles in the past....fairly sure he ran 59 at a world cup a few years ago...with 800ish bars? The dude is an experimenter for sure.

Like I said I think the adjust-ability factor that is appearing with the new bikes is fantastic and is the way of the future. But I also think there is somewhat of a 'it's the cool thing to have' factor related to super slack frames. That said it may become the norm, much like 750 bars have become for the most part.

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed.

I think with todays shock technology will play a major part in progression of frame design and consequently HA’s.

As for Fabien and his Mondraker.. man.. even on Camera it looks so far in front its not funny!

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
pretty sure the lapiare came with adjustable head angle sub 63deg.

im riding a 303rdh head angles at 63, most of the tracks i ride are fairly steep or have steep sections so i really like it. my old bike was at 64.5 or 65, and i much prefer the slacker head angle, doesnt feel so twitchy.
How did you get your 303rdh to 63?

top_dog

Likes Dirt
I've had my Orange at 60°, but I thought it was too slack and understeered. Not to mention wheel/seat tube interference issues. Its now on 62° and is about perfect.

demodv8

Likes Dirt
everyone talks about sag on the rear, what about when your forks are compressed like when your going down a steep rocky section I think thats when you need a slack head angle ,but realy when your forks are copresed you dont have a slack head angle in my opinion correct suspension setup is more important than head angle. just a thought

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
everyone talks about sag on the rear, what about when your forks are compressed like when your going down a steep rocky section I think thats when you need a slack head angle ,but realy when your forks are copresed you dont have a slack head angle in my opinion correct suspension setup is more important than head angle. just a thought
very good point, the rear wheel is way lighter on steep sections and most of you braking should be done on the front wheel thus putting a bit more load onto it. suspension set up is definitely pretty important

and Gee Atherton was running 62* of sag from memory? you wouldn't really need to go 63 unless your racing WC level at ridiculous speeds. even then, most of the world cup riders don't go below that.

mikedh

Likes Bikes
62 degrees. It's probably a bit slack, but it's a five year old bike and I don't see myself riding it in Australia much.