DH Hubs?? help needed!!

FatYZ0

Likes Dirt
Hey guys. I am looking at building up a new DH wheel set and yes the rear hub needs to be a 150mm x 12mm.
What sort of options do you think i should consider.
Please give me some thought and ideas.

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You cant beat 721/729 on Hope pro 2 hubs.

I run a 721 set and a 729 set on both my bikes and swear by them.

I highly recommend Hope pro 2's

Plus you can pick them up from crc for dirt cheap

7point3

Likes Dirt
If your looking for strength and dont mind having a heavy hub try getting a tuffneck hub i just got one and it is really good. They are also reasonbly cheap. Then just add mavic 721 and its a perfect wheel:D

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run a dt swiss 340, holy shit is it nice. Just can't get it to stop spinning ;). Nice and light to, main thing though is its strong as heck!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hadley Hubs.

They look bling and sound even better. The best hub there is on the market.

Unsure about the sizing of them, but if you have the cash (you didn't specify in your original post), look into them.

They'd match your bike paintjob as well ;)

Hadley Hubs - From Dirt Works

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get hope Pro II.
I have a hope pro II laced to mavic 721 wheelset on the way, should be here in a few days.
Yeah, what transition pete said.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
I dont rate my Hadley hubes. Had to have new bearings in the rear after a year. Then again 6 months after that. I done it my self the second time and found that to much load was put on the bearings. The design of holding the bearings in is not a great one I think. Has been running fine for the past year but now the front is getting a little bit of play in it. But it has done a lot of work. There like king head sets over priced.

udi

swiss cheese
Yeah I reckon hadley/king hubs are a lot of hassle, especially for their cost. Compared to simpler designs, they flat out just need more maintenance, more looking after, and cost more (initially as well as to maintain). Preload adjustable cartridge bearings are a copout IMO; and as hadley and king both clearly prove, it's nothing but a hassle that leads to them coming loose. If you want to be a showpony then by all means, but you're gonna have to put in some time from the get go to make sure they stay running smooth.

Once they're bedded in and setup right, they'll go for a while (and the fast engagement is novel for a while) - but seriously, I just want to ride my bike. If you're that kinda guy, then get the hope pro II's. You can bolt them up and go, and go, and go... and as a bonus, they are WAY cheaper, WAY lighter, and come in every configuration under the sun.