Dice SMO's

DJK

Likes Dirt
Are SMO's decent rims? I've heard good and bad things about them, so tell us what you think.

Adi

It's my birthday!
I run a SMO as my rear rim and its indestructable so far, I have done quite a few stupid going-to-slow + uncontrolled stairgaps and the Rim always comes out good. I love mine 8)

Wonder what Dan has to say about them :lol:

AirDog

Likes Dirt
my smo has taken a beating and is still as straight as the day i took it out of the box... jus make sure ya have a good build

fastrider gus

super huck
i ran one on the front for quite a while.. im prety smooth on front rimns though, so i dunno if it was the rim being INDESTRUCTABLE!!
but they look prety good.. especially if you have them front and rear.. and the 48-spokers!!! *drool*

Rik

logged out
I've run a pair of them on my hardtail, and man they copped a flogging... combined with the chunky forks, I'd ride into anything and everything and they'd just take the impact and keep on rolling. They were run with very little spoke tension yet stayed true, I was amazed at how strong they are. The down side is weight, and lots of it, so I'd reccomend only getting an SMO on the rear and something decent on the front, just to make the bike more rideable. Oh, and another cool thing is using massive bmx brake pads on them, plenty of power with that ;)

Dan

Likes Dirt
yeh like adin said i do run em :)

their a pretty good rim. mine have stayed heeeps true thru all the punnishment i have put em thru, and thats quite alot on my HT.

i dont rele like the machined sidewalls. look a bit ugly, but its alrite i spose. when i first got mine on the bak i dented it a few times, pretty badly too. but thats coz i ran 18psi in my rear doin rocky tracks. so now i run about 26 and its fine.

all up good rim. im probably gonna be gettin duel 24inch 48spoke SMO rims (all black they are) once i get my Le Toy 3 in a few months time. OR some 24inch trailpimps.

stooge

Likes Dirt
Adin wrote:
I have done quite a few stupid going-to-slow + uncontrolled stairgaps
Yeh that time I wasnt sure if you where going to go over the bars or what, the way your rear wheel hit, lol, yet strangley u flated on the front, must of slaped th front down when the rear hit :shock:

And yes they look rather chunky, if your looking at an alternative, im running a Big Mammath Fat Sun Rim(they look similar to the SMO's), not sure about weight comparisin, but it isnt tooo hefty, but its alright, ive done some silly things on it and its holding up to general heavy hardtail abuse very well, but as others have said make sure it gets built well.

Stoooooge
"Ride on"