Did I get played like a fiddle? (bikeshop)

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's not professionalism, it's pandering to a shit "client" (who isn't even really a client) running his mouth.
It's a case of a big company twisting the arm of the LBS to get a good name at the cost of the LBS. Don't quite understand the whole point of the online site advertising the tyres at a MSRP, at an AUD price and listing its' retail outlets. It comes across as very deceiving to me for both the consumer and LBS.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
End result
Trek Australia has offered sending me a pair of tyres for free.
Professionalism at its finest!
What? That is fucking absurd. So act like an arsehat over some dogshit wirebead cyclepath tyres and get rewarded? No wonder we're going to hell in a handbasket.

Here's what I think would be reasonable.
See odd MSRP from GLOBAL website, go into dealer and see what the actual price is, since MSRPs aren't binding or really of any force whatsoever. Too expensive? Take dollars elsewhere.

It's trek, not The Buy'N'Low Corporation.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Im with MarkL on this. Sure it isn't a big deal, and it isn't an expesive item, and its not the end of the world...but it is the price the item was advertised for and this retailer was part of that retail agreement. The guys in the shop sound like a bunch of smart arsed cunts. I'd have fed a solution of shit and water through their mail slot in the middle of the night.

Really? I wasn't aware of that (your link only takes me to the final page of the trivia thread, which has nothing relevant on it). I banned Bermshot for posting pics of child-gore but I personally wouldn't have banned him if he'd posted clearly labelled links instead.

But, it is what it is, so I'm removing the offending links and going to sit in the naughty corner for half an hour.
If you need a gentle, but firm, spanking I'm only a call away. Reach out...

I've never seen a decent tyre listed for $30 online or LBS.
I have purchased MANY excellent tyres for under $30. Even in Australia.

Yeah, I'm sorry but that's just myth.

This forum is chocka-fucking-block full of stories about bike shops where cats have laid down thousands over thousands and they still get the jib. I'm definitely one of those thanks to a shop in Parramatta (holy shit, my parents even bought all of our kid bikes in this shop and the owner knew that when he penny pinched with me) and a shop in Sydney.

There are good shops out there, for sure - Bike Culture in Canberra are one of those shops. However to think that it's an automatic absolute that if you chat nice and buy heaps of shit from one place that you're always going to be treated favourably is just naive and patently incorrect.
Damn straight that relationship is a myth! We all just come down to numbers in the end.

Jesus dude, if you get this out of joint over a pretty innocuous comment like that I struggle to see how you get through a normal day without boiling over.

Dr. J prescribes two doses of desensitivity daily and a reduction of your extra virgin sense of injustice.
Perhaps cutting back on the daily sand intake as well. Be careful though...Chops (attorney at law) will be all over you for malpractice soon enough!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Hmmms ermmm yeahhhh hmmms no. Stop hitting that fucking enter key mid sentence or I'll stick smth smwr unpleasant.

(jk.. but, in all seriousness.... WTF? I reckon you've blown this WAY out of proportion.. sounds like a minor screw-up or miscommunication in store and nothing more)
:lol:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who was irked by that...

mountains out of molehills. if you think the LBS was taking revenge, then you over think your importance in the world. ol' mate on the phone would have stopped caring the moment the phone hit the desk.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
...then you over think your importance in the world...
BOOM! There it is! My thoughts all along.
I get that they've advertised an online price, you've been given a smart arse reply so your dirty. But really, tell them to fuck off and buy from Pushys or MTBD and be done. Far bigger things to be this distressed over.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
BOOM! There it is! My thoughts all along.
I get that they've advertised an online price, you've been given a smart arse reply so your dirty. But really, tell them to fuck off and buy from Pushys or MTBD and be done. Far bigger things to be this distressed over.
and whilst it may have come across as smartarsed; the guy on the phone obviously had $70 come up on his screen (or on the item), so you could somewhat understand his remark that he'd buy 10 if they are supposedly well under the retail price he saw. he should have however said he'd investigate the discrepancy...

still a non-issue though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
:lol:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who was irked by that...

mountains out of molehills. if you think the LBS was taking revenge, then you over think your importance in the world. ol' mate on the phone would have stopped caring the moment the phone hit the desk.
Nope...If that was the case there wouldn't have been the great tyre revenge of 2015. There was definitely a Dutch rudder session and plans for vengeance made.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Nope...If that was the case there wouldn't have been the great tyre revenge of 2015. There was definitely a Dutch rudder session and plans for vengeance made.
i wouldn't be so sure, i'm usually pretty sleepy after a good ruddering.

markgab

Likes Dirt
What? That is fucking absurd. So act like an arsehat over some dogshit wirebead cyclepath tyres and get rewarded? No wonder we're going to hell in a handbasket.

Here's what I think would be reasonable.
See odd MSRP from GLOBAL website, go into dealer and see what the actual price is, since MSRPs aren't binding or really of any force whatsoever. Too expensive? Take dollars elsewhere.

It's trek, not The Buy'N'Low Corporation.
Im sorry Mr Righteous :behindsofa:
All I did was accept the proposed challenge from the retailer (know anywhere that sells for $30AUD and inform them). Australia's department confirmed that their pricng was incorrect, what else can I say?
Too expensive? Lol price in no way doesnt concern me :x I just wanna use the same stock tires for my bike.
Pinkpoodle has a solid point, retailers agreement.
To me $ aint an issue, its the ethics which is questionable and needs a change.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
The price indicated is false advertising as far as I can see. The initial price shown is $30.00AUD, then you click on the tyre for more details and you get this below, after you click on the exclamation mark beside the advertised price.

' See product details for individual item number and MSRP. Actual pricing is set by XCompany retailers and does not include freight, import duties or taxes for retailers outside of the US '.

The MSRP is a manufacturer's suggested retail price, does not necessarily correspond to the price retailers actually use.

Last edited:
Maybe they need to perform more regular stock takes. Levels that low of an item should be phisically checked. I've done it in the past. Customer rings and asks for 2 of item x, system says 2 in stock, I then check if in fact they are both present and ready for sale. Sometimes one could be on a job awaiting collection which has not yet been booked out.

rone

Eats Squid
Ten pages of shit over the bicycle equivalent of Bob Jane All-Rounders:

Bike shop makes mistake over price/you act like petulant child/get given free shit to make you go away/leave thinking this is how to behave when you don't get your way.

Attachments

Minlak

custom titis
Oh lol!!!!! It's amazing how this "ethics" was resolved with free shit.
I have been in retail in various positions including upper management for 30 years I know who to deal with and how when I have been "ethically" wronged and on all occasions refused placations in the form of free shit as it wasn't about the product. "Ethically" I refused to deal with the company again period. Fucking ethics bull shit argument

stirk

Burner
Ten pages of funnyshit over the bicycle equivalent of Bob Jane All-Rounders:

Bike shop makes mistake over price/you act like petulant child/get given free shit to make you go away/leave thinking this is how to behave when you don't get your way.
Corrected :)

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

And not once did chops get a look in..... Lookout suddenly a new contender enters the arena!

markgab

Likes Dirt

Hmmms I acted like a petulant child LOL get my way?
Accepts a proposition (if it cost $30 inform him), showed them it does cost $30.

In all honesty, I did jack shit?!
If i did act like a petulant child I would have named and shamed and formal complaint to ACCC.

Go back to my opening question
Asking was I played? What should I do? Call headoffice

People replying have added weight/extra content that I wanted free stuff huh? I stired up shit? Huh Said I compared prices to online shops? huh
Its Trek FFS whatever shows on their site is that amount, bought my Fuel Ex that way $5500AUD and called shop was told $5500AUD and went down to buy.

Erms all I did was emailed headoffice about price and informed them about my terrible encounter as they told be to go back and purchase from them and I couldn't as they didnt have two.

I really dont give a fk about price.
A week ago JensonUSA overcharged me $25 for an item and I cbf getting it refunded even though they wanted to solve the issue.

So let me ask this question, say youve bought smth from woolies and was charged wrong?
Would you ask why?
Ive never encountered such a situation with a bikeshop, hence i ask on the forums.
What should I do?

ffs only a handful have actually read the OQ and given input on what should I do, rest all asume and post irrelevant content and others have followed? All I did was correspond with the regional office.

Last edited: