Difference between WolfCage and Goatlink.

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
As per the thread title, how do the WolfCage and Goatlink differ?
They are both designed to increase derailleur capacity, but by slightly different methods.
Why would you choose one over the other?
I'm looking at getting a Sunrace 11-50 cassette to use with my XT GS mech, which of the above would be the best solution?

moorey

call me Mia
Wolf tooth easier to install. 2 minutes v ages and fiddley.
Cheaper.
Works better.

(Yes, running both, albeit oneup rad cage)

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good question. I have only tried the RAD cage to run a 42 tooth expander on a 10 speed set up and it works well.
I want to go up to a 46t and am not sure if this will work. Has anyone had an experience running the 46t 10 speed cassette on a goat link or cage thing?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't speak for the cage adaptor but the goat link is super easy to install and doesn't require a longer b limit screw. Only requires some finicky adjustment of the b-limit to get clean shifting with the sunrace 11-50 cassette. I found these to be good but the best option for me was to just use a long cage derailleur.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Goat Link simply increases big sprocket clearance/capacity by lowering the whole derailleur. Downside is that because the derailleur moves vertically a particular amount as it travels laterally to match the designed cassette gradient, you increase the gap below the smaller sprockets, which can affect shifting, especially as the chain gets worn.

Cage mods change the offset of the upper jockey wheel against the cage pivot (Shimano Shadow derailleurs are concentric; the jockey wheel bolts into the cage pivot so they're on the same axis), so they can increase the maximum sprocket capacity while still maintaining correct clearance under the smaller sprockets; in the high gear (small sprocket) position, the jockey wheel sits above the cage pivot, as the derailleur is shifted in, as well as the body extending downward, the jockey wheel rotates down and behind the cage pivot effectively steepening its path to match the cassette gradient.

stirk

Burner
Goat Link simply increases big sprocket clearance/capacity by lowering the whole derailleur. Downside is that because the derailleur moves vertically a particular amount as it travels laterally to match the designed cassette gradient, you increase the gap below the smaller sprockets, which can affect shifting, especially as the chain gets worn.

Cage mods change the offset of the upper jockey wheel against the cage pivot (Shimano Shadow derailleurs are concentric; the jockey wheel bolts into the cage pivot so they're on the same axis), so they can increase the maximum sprocket capacity while still maintaining correct clearance under the smaller sprockets; in the high gear (small sprocket) position, the jockey wheel sits above the cage pivot, as the derailleur is shifted in, as well as the body extending downward, the jockey wheel rotates down and behind the cage pivot effectively steepening path to match the cassette gradient.
My old RAD cage by OneUp was faultless in a medium XT 10 speed with their 42 big cog extender. Much respect to OneUp for making the big manufacturers play catch up after they got OneUpped.

moorey

call me Mia

Cage mods change the offset of the upper jockey wheel against the cage pivot (Shimano Shadow derailleurs are concentric; the jockey wheel bolts into the cage pivot so they're on the same axis), so they can increase the maximum sprocket capacity while still maintaining correct clearance under the smaller sprockets; in the high gear (small sprocket) position, the jockey wheel sits above the cage pivot, as the derailleur is shifted in, as well as the body extending downward, the jockey wheel rotates down and behind the cage pivot effectively steepening its path to match the cassette gradient.
You may be correct...but goat gave me better shifting and easier setup that cage.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Maybe. To be fair and honest, I haven't tried either, so only working on theory, but I have done jobs that pushed a standard Shimano 10-sp. derailleur beyond its official maximum to both 40 and 42T without additional links or cage swaps. It handled 40T acceptably OK, but began to get loose and sloppy at the other eand as the sprocket gap opened from the B-screw being cranked in to lower the pulley to fit the 40. 42 just got messy at both ends, but OK in the middle. with those factors coupled to theory in mind, if I really had the inclination to do it, I'd go the cage option rather than simply hanging the derailleur lower; less of a compromise across the range (as if blowing massive holes in the gear progression isn't enough of a compromise....).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Duckmeister. Any suggestions for running a 40t expander on a 10 speed roadie? I can run a 36t with my Ultegra long cage but have maxed out the b screw.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
@Duckmeister. Any suggestions for running a 40t expander on a 10 speed roadie? I can run a 36t with my Ultegra long cage but have maxed out the b screw.
9-sp. XT Shadow derailleur works on the same cable pull ratio as 10-sp. road. Although officially rated to 36T max, they can be coaxed acceptably to play with 40T.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Grave dig . Will a goat link only work with a direct mount derailleur ?
so for example my non shadow plus non direct link 10 speed XT M 780 runs 11-40 Ok w bigger B screw but still a bit clunky on the 40 tooth.

stirk

Burner

@The Duckmeister always the guru with well written explanations. Burner legend status! Give the legend a befitting title. Not that he'd give a shit but damn he's laid down the tech over the years.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep thanks read that .
There are various hacks to deal with Shimano stupidity and planned obsolescence.
Just wondered whether there is a way to help the derailleur.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If mtbike 9 speed derailleurs are the same pull as road 10 speed derailleurs + road links are for 10 speed road derailleurs ?