Dirt Jump Etiquette

would the development of DJ etiquette be helpful - provided people followed it?

• Total voters
jump destruction

This is very true. Wen uve finally finished building ur dream set of kickers and gap jumps, it really pisses u off wen u get there and they r trashed by little kids or angry old retired folk who think it should b a walking track. This is wen a set of rules and regulations should b implemented on the site near the jumps!!!

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stuntman said:
This is very true. Wen uve finally finished building ur dream set of kickers and gap jumps, it really pisses u off wen u get there and they r trashed by little kids or angry old retired folk who think it should b a walking track. This is wen a set of rules and regulations should b implemented on the site near the jumps!!!

they wont be respected though, as you cant take action AND it aint your land.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good points made by all;
i just have a few to add:
- don't badmouth little kids for wanting to see people jump the trails
- don't create huts and shelter's etc. unless you have the owners permission

if everyone followed these basic guides then more trails would be kept and would be a l0ot more fun for everyone involved

blt2ride

Likes Dirt
Thanks!

Thanks for that! I couldn't agree more. We spent hours building new trails and jumps at our local downhill shuttle spot. We did everything we could to keep it low-key, but Mountain Bike Action decided to use one of our drops for the cover of their magazine (May 2003).

Once that happned, a bunch of fools came up to our spot, took pictures and posted them all over the internet. Some people just don't get it...

trekasaurus

Likes Bikes
let people who arnt from the area ride local jumps dont say your not from our subberb so you cant ride here the more people the more shvvels

nicho

Sacré bleu!
trekasaurus said:
let people who arnt from the area ride local jumps dont say your not from our subberb so you cant ride here the more people the more shvvels
i m sorry that would be right in an ideal world. that s hardly ever true...
but those who dig have a place my esteem for them..

nicho

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no, trekasaurus, that is completely counterproductive.

if you live further away, youll care less, and you probably wont dig. in an ideal world you would, but it aint, so no.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
don't badmouth little kids for wanting to see people jump the trails
i remember being one of those kids. it was awesome seeing people really good ride the trails. made me want to be able to do it and gave me inspiration so year dont blow off those kids.

Kona stuff

Likes Bikes
i agree with all u guys heaps a guys lately have been recking my jumpscoz they are to big for them and it pisses me of with the amount of time i spend building

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also make sure you don't get complacent, and don't even think about trying to show up the locals.

dig, dig, dig, keep digging, and then dig some more. then jump :D

mint2u

Squid
It's all good so long as you're willing to get in there and lend a hand when it comes time to get in and make it all happen.

try to meet up with the other builders and be logical about it.

old folk won't take kindly to having the walking track hogged up..
nor will horse riders..

sometimes best to cut a path and go your own way..

just comes back to respect..
perhaps some education to the little kids who trash the jumps too.

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jezza1006 said:
must say
NO DIG
NO JUMP
is definetly the most important of em all
agreed me and my friends builts some jumps the other day and within a day they were recked within a day

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pete_10 said:
agreed me and my friends builts some jumps the other day and within a day they were recked within a day
thats happened to me before dude. It hurts. :(
Its always better to start building jumps in a secretive place. That way, when they get bigger and better, locals will start to come. This is good for support. I know this from my jumps when all of these randoms started showing up. Except for some of the guys that helped out they were all pricks and eventually left (they were outnumbered :D).
Good luck with it, and im with you Jeremy - dig,dig,dig,dig,jump,jump,dig,dig,dig,dig,jump,jump,etc,etc,etc:)

edlevy

Squid
would it be to much to have a thread to explain how to fix/make dirt jumps so the people who have no idea can have an idea, so when they bust a lip, they know how to fix it. or is this one of those things best left to experience and practise?

bmgal666

Likes Dirt
we really need an etiquette code because at the jumps i made in manly dam people just cut you off as you get ready to go :mad: . it works for surfers shourly it would work for us :confused: .

bomber1

Banned
edlevy said:
would it be to much to have a thread to explain how to fix/make dirt jumps so the people who have no idea can have an idea, so when they bust a lip, they know how to fix it. or is this one of those things best left to experience and practise?

yeh a how to dig thread would be alright...

ibmx

Banned
WHY DID BOMBER GET BANNED.. THATS DOG WASH.. if u read the thread just above here.. i dont see the harm in that.. but wat needs to be dnoe has to be done i guess