Dirt Jump Etiquette

would the development of DJ etiquette be helpful - provided people followed it?

• Total voters

JC stp2

Squid
all my jumps are on private property so i dont have to worry about people trashing them but good riders should no how much work is put into them so it pretty much just vandals that would be trashing them and not even the cops can stop them

Batey

Likes Dirt
Ive been DJ for about 9 months now and in that time ive seen and met a few diferent people. The main thing i have noticed is exactly what everyone is saying. people wrecking things or people riding their jumps. Ide like to go to the other end of the scale and say congrats to those people (which i like to think myself as) who ask the builders if they can ride there and will pick up a shovel and fix things even if there not good at it theres no need to bag them for having a go. The other thing that gets me is the so called ownership of jumps and trails. Ive read through a few pas threads and find people fixing up jumps that were in realy bad nik so they are ridable and to say they have fixed them only to be bagged out by some kid or bloke who built there years ago. I would have to say if you have built it and neglected it you dont deserve to call it your own where as the guys who fix them up should.

anyway thats just my 2 cents on the matter.

cheers

yeah, the whole "haha, fuck , how pissed will those mtb fags be if we trash their shit" thjng just doesn't work for me. ive got a mate in woombie who had some jumps on the nature strip that some skegs trashed. Most people in Woombie are really intolerant of Mtber's, cause they think we all act like vandals and hoons.

cessle

Likes Dirt
i think the no dig no ride rule is abit harsh as theres new guys to dj like me who arent exactly pro jump builders but like to have a go
but if i stuff up a lip i would try to my best capabilities to fix it up

also no rubbish dumping it really shits me when people leave powerade bottles and the such about at jumps if you bring it take it with you !!!

and then all the djers lived happily ever after :D

cheers Tom

kyleman

Likes Dirt
Smashing jumps? Thats like us MTBers nuking a skatepark..SAME DEAL PEOPLE! Dam punk teenagers..they dont know what they want...oh shit..im a teenager:rolleyes:

Ryan

Radministrator
i think the no dig no ride rule is abit harsh as theres new guys to dj like me who arent exactly pro jump builders but like to have a go
That's the only way you'll learn and all that most people would expect. You don't have to be a pro digger, but you should at least make an effort to fix any damage you create.

xander1

Likes Bikes
there are so many people who have the exact same attitude of this in the mtb community. people who are starting out and i believe if you start out the wrong way then you're never gonna change. if you are new to something such as dirtjumping and aren't all that confident with yourself then why not build your own trails that you can practise on. then you will find you progress and build your trails bigger and more of them. this is how many dirt jump spots progress. you don't find a site and then plan every single jump out and build them all at once. you might build a small set then rebuild them bigger or make a larger set next to them. then begin adding. its a long process to build a respectable set of trails but its alot more rewarding building your own. and then when you have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours building these jumps see how you feel when others ride them. I'm not at all having a go at you personally i just think too many people have this mindset in the mtb community. let someone else do the hard work and then ill reap the rewards. as a young lad me and my mates had little 1 foot doubles in a local park. that's where i believe things have to start. people knew to the sport building their own tracks and jumps then you may find you have as many fond memories of building tracks with your mates as you do of riding them. just a crazy rant from me. I'm not trying to be a bully just expressing my opinion

mrsquashed

Likes Bikes
That's the only way you'll learn and all that most people would expect. You don't have to be a pro digger, but you should at least make an effort to fix any damage you create.
cant agree more, although it is slightly more difficult for those who do want to have a go, but have to travel up to an hour or more just to get to the jumps.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so true

i agree with all ten rules of the dirt jump etiquette that were posted, i ride regularly down at my local jumps and am one of about 5 major contributors to the building of the jumps, we build plenty of jumps for BMX rookies and stuff but they insist on wrecking all the jumps that we have built and turning them into something smaller for themselves, any solutions would be great.

Belle

Eats Squid
well heres my story.
once apon a time i had around 25 perfect jumps to hit which took me and mates 4 months almost everyday to build they where great fun and did not get boring,
they where always alive.
the jumps where located on my property.
anyway some bastards came in broke into our second house (where the jumps where located) and got all the mattresses of our beds and put them on one of the big jumps down ramps, they also cut hoses into little bits all over the paddock , smoked weed and left cigarettes in my fathers old van , made ruts in most of the up ramps, disturbed a bees nest nearby so there was always bees trying to attack us, a mate brang in a pretty big shelter because it was so hot.
the week after that it was completely smashed up and all the rails where bent and lodged into some of our jumps, it was pretty farked up.
so we left the jumps alone for a while and came back a couple months later only to see two very young aboriginals swimming in a huge graveyard full of water saying that it was a part of there property and telling us to get out of it. but luckily we have some secret trails up at a mates house.
i am thinking of rebuilding the jumps soonish because most of the dickheads dont live in that area anymore.

technoboy

Dirty Imports
there are so many people who have the exact same attitude of this in the mtb community. people who are starting out and i believe if you start out the wrong way then you're never gonna change. if you are new to something such as dirtjumping and aren't all that confident with yourself then why not build your own trails that you can practise on. then you will find you progress and build your trails bigger and more of them. this is how many dirt jump spots progress. you don't find a site and then plan every single jump out and build them all at once. you might build a small set then rebuild them bigger or make a larger set next to them. then begin adding. its a long process to build a respectable set of trails but its alot more rewarding building your own. and then when you have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours building these jumps see how you feel when others ride them. I'm not at all having a go at you personally i just think too many people have this mindset in the mtb community. let someone else do the hard work and then ill reap the rewards. as a young lad me and my mates had little 1 foot doubles in a local park. that's where i believe things have to start. people knew to the sport building their own tracks and jumps then you may find you have as many fond memories of building tracks with your mates as you do of riding them. just a crazy rant from me. I'm not trying to be a bully just expressing my opinion
Mate you can ride my trails anytime! :)

I have been building for about 6yrs now most of the crew sorry all of the crew has all moved on.
Unfortunate for them!!!! As I have been building by my self now for around 4-6 months because I know people would kill to have trails like I have.

If you build at a trail put in extra effort to make what you have unique and you will find that your riding will improve quicker than spending time at the local skate park.
"cough" Manly sucks ass!
People don’t realize that when your digging trails your learning what kind of jump your building therefore your confidence will grow when you ride into hit it!

If you build trails just remember give the trail love and it will love you back every time!!!!!!!!
Neglect it and you shall eat shit till the point of no return just ask the red hill boyz.. :)

Techno

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
^ dale. i know we see photos of you riding your trails quite often, but would you be able to post up a pic of just the trails themselves? they really are exquisite from what photos i've seen

xander1

Likes Bikes
yeah i seen ur trails man and have to congratulate u. and we definately put love into our trails which is even worse wen ppl come and stuff em up. i also respect that u willfully let ppl ride ur trails and i bet u still have to put in most of the effort. i suppose wat it comes down to is im alot more stubborn and selfish than u. haha. all i have to say is to people instead of looking for other trails to ride why not dig ur own. if u have to drive 15 minutes to sum1 elses trails every time u wanna ride spend that 15 minutes building some near ur place. start small and if they go unnoticed for long enuf u can find urself with having something like technoboys trails that u can call ur own. it wont happen overnite but it will happen.

Big_Chief

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah i seen ur trails man and have to congratulate u. and we definately put love into our trails which is even worse wen ppl come and stuff em up. i also respect that u willfully let ppl ride ur trails and i bet u still have to put in most of the effort. i suppose wat it comes down to is im alot more stubborn and selfish than u. haha. all i have to say is to people instead of looking for other trails to ride why not dig ur own. if u have to drive 15 minutes to sum1 elses trails every time u wanna ride spend that 15 minutes building some near ur place. start small and if they go unnoticed for long enuf u can find urself with having something like technoboys trails that u can call ur own. it wont happen overnite but it will happen.
Its great that your expressing your opinion, but for crying out loud use proper english!!! oh and buy the way. Welcome to Farkin.:)

Dale your trails are sick! I cant waite to see some recent pics of them.

Last edited:

xander1

Likes Bikes
Sorry. I just think it was a little hypocritical that you had a go at me for using incorrect english when you did too. Let's not turn this into a b*tch fight. Laters

xtreme88

Likes Bikes
jumps

tell u what i dont like, i havnt ever fixed jumps before but im about to start doing it, because there are no good jumps anymore. But i hate ppl who say those jumps r crap, when they cant be bothered fixing them up. Theres some places i liked to ride before ppl kept ridin them without fixing, so i want to put in a few months of hard building and plz ppl fix them up.

cheers

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I Like The Idea Of Rules
Me ANd My Mate Build This Little Gap Jump Just To Have Fun On Over The Hollies And We Built It Had Fun On It For About A Hour We Went Home Came Back The Next Day Somebody had distroyed it (in the space of like 8 hours)
Annoyed Me Quite A Bit