Dirt Jump trainning for Freeriding

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
OK stupid question time? I do a bit of freeriding and have noticed that there are a few different opinions on training to get the skills for this. So i am wondering is dirt jumping good to do to build up the skills for freeriding? or are they too different? If it is good then do you use the same bike (so that you can get that dialled?)?? or do you have different bikes?

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ride! unless your hitting up Crankworx and going for the win, there's really no need to "train" any riding is good practice, so just do as much of it as possible

B1KR BOI

Likes Dirt
Keep in mind that most freeriders out there at the moment dirt jumped before. They are just throwing they're tricks off bigger obstacles so i think they help each other out. If you freeride you'll be confident with the big hits and then with DJing you'll be confident with throwing tricks off of jumps and drops etc. But just have fun on your bike dont worry about all that, you'll progress naturally.

Greg

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Thanks

Yeah cool good advice. In other words just do it! I guess where i am at.. is i am comfortable with taking air on most FR hucks, however doing it with style tricking it is a different story. More time on the dirt jumps is required to get it sorted before tricking it on stuff that has rocky landings.

Do you think that there is a different feeling for tricking it on dirt & freeride. I mean i am thinking that my position on the bike dirt jumping is more upright & FR i think i am futher back??? also with dirt jumping you tend to pump the up and down ramps, where as freeride is more going with the flow of the terrain??? aaaaaaaaahh...thinking about it tooo much....going back to original words "just do it"!!!!

Yes chuck me and ya mum love to dirt jump on the Atomik

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
I think that it comes down to practice. You may find that when doing FR drops you have the same kind of pump down - especially when you are going to face stunts that follow after each other relatively quickly (like step ups or doubles)

In my opinion the DJ practice will improve your jumps, as opposed to your drops.

Other than that, any amount of riding cant hurt :)

Yeah cool good advice. In other words just do it! I guess where i am at.. is i am comfortable with taking air on most FR hucks, however doing it with style tricking it is a different story. More time on the dirt jumps is required to get it sorted before tricking it on stuff that has rocky landings.

Do you think that there is a different feeling for tricking it on dirt & freeride. I mean i am thinking that my position on the bike dirt jumping is more upright & FR i think i am futher back??? also with dirt jumping you tend to pump the up and down ramps, where as freeride is more going with the flow of the terrain??? aaaaaaaaahh...thinking about it tooo much....going back to original words "just do it"!!!!

Yes chuck me and ya mum love to dirt jump on the Atomik

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt

yeah so far so good!!. I have been going dirt jumping regularly now and find that it is pretty good. I mean for a start it helped me with pumping the takeoff and then spotting the landing. Which i think has helped FRing when i am dropping on to a steep slope ie lining it up on the landing better or even just jumping.

Assuming that FR is not just about going hard and is also about style i have been trying to get some tricks. I have been working on doing a superman which on the dirt jumps is pretty sweet! i mean learning it think i was using the wrong form (just kicking my feet out) however it wasnt too bad as you land in sand if fck it up. So i was able to work out to push the bike out infront which helped me heaps (if that is the correct way to do it??).

Away big shout out to ya dirt jumpers and freeriders it aint easy making it look easy!!!!

KonaManDan

Likes Bikes
Hay Derka going large I read. When are you coming back to racing. Disco does'nt race any more and its just me and pual we miss you.:(