Dirt jump versus Street bike?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Just curious, whats the difference between these bikes, style and geometry?

26" wheel's?

What would be used at the skate park?

My 6yo is enjoying the local skate park so through I would join her and try to add some skills.

Thanks

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Get a dirt jumper and switch between slicks and knobies, you'll get more use that way, and without knowing your skill level, I doubt any geo difference will hold you back. I got a dirt jump, some travel adjustable forks and I'm equally proficient at falling off it on street, jump trails and single track.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I had some old uturn domains kicking around that I used, 100mm for street/Park to 130 for trail riding (they go to 160mm). For the amount of jump/Street I'll be doing, I needed to make the bike a bit more value added. Really mainly use it for pump tracks to work on my general skills a bit. But it's ace fun for arsing about with the kids and getting us away from the handbrake for a couple of hours.

If you're really only going to use it for dirt jumps or street, 80-100mm will be plenty.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Seen his stuff before, look great. In fact there is someone on RB with an AM bike from there.

I was lucky, the frame I have has interchangeable sliding dropouts, so horizontal and vertical with a hanger is an easy swap. There's always these:

Bloody good price too, I'd grab a set regardless at 1/3 of the regular price.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just curious, whats the difference between these bikes, style and geometry?

26" wheel's?

What would be used at the skate park?

My 6yo is enjoying the local skate park so through I would join her and try to add some skills.

Thanks
The difference is mainly in components. Street tends to be pretty abusive (think various slides and grinds on partscof the bike and heavy landings from stairs and in the park on concrete). Knuckles offers solid advice, get a dirt jumper. You should he able to pick up a sweet ride second hand for $500-800. I do note your desire to go all out, sweet as. Forks 80-110mm is the usual window, but unless your very hardcore a little more won't hurt. Marzocchi now have a 55cr slope something or other in 120mm. I like the look of them a fair bit. Rock shock make a pike for DJ and there is the manipoo circus. It comes in a few different lengths and weighs as much as a set of purple anno pedals.

Tyres are a big part of loving the bike. If you will only ever ridecon a sealed surface try the schwalbe crazy bob. I used them for a few years and still get a little precum thinking about the awesomeness. They make a mad sound when you skid too. Currently run the schwalbe table top for dirt and tar. Very happycin both, but you need to drop the psi on dirt to hook up. Lots of other good options too but listing them all is too much effort.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Would you bring a knife to a gun fight?

I have an old pair of mavic MTB wheels on Hope hubs. Should be OK?
And rocshox revelation forks
It all depends on what you expect to get out of your bike. Are you smooth, agile, heavy, rough, stylish, fast, slow..? Going big? Or just cruising? Those forks aren't designed for surviving long term abuse, but they would last some riders years. Which mavic rims are they? The hubs will probably be good, but may not he compatible to your frame or fork...you'll struggle to use a 135x10mm qr hub in a horizontal drop out designed for a bolt up single speed wheel. Some frames won't mount a rear mech. Fork axle and steerer also come into play.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

It all depends on what you expect to get out of your bike. Are you smooth, agile, heavy, rough, stylish, fast, slow..? Going big? Or just cruising? Those forks aren't designed for surviving long term abuse, but they would last some riders years. Which mavic rims are they? The hubs will probably be good, but may not he compatible to your frame or fork...you'll struggle to use a 135x10mm qr hub in a horizontal drop out designed for a bolt up single speed wheel. Some frames won't mount a rear mech. Fork axle and steerer also come into play.
If you'd bothered to look at the frame he linked to, 135x10 hozzy drop outs, hope can accommodate both 135x10 bolt up and bolt thru axles. Sliding dropouts incorporating a hanger, can be had for $18 at the moment. Headtube is intergrated tapered, so any fork, other than a 1.5" steerer will work, and although it's not ideal, you can get a 15mm to 9mm adapter axle if the revs are QR, if 15mm dropouts on the forks even better. I doubt he'll be hucking off big stairs or doing 10' drops while riding with his daughter, and 2nd hand Argyles can be had for the $100-150 mark and are pretty much bomb proof and have a 20mm axle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you'd bothered to look at the frame he linked to, 135x10 hozzy drop outs, hope can accommodate both 135x10 bolt up and bolt thru axles. Sliding dropouts incorporating a hanger, can be had for $18 at the moment. Headtube is intergrated tapered, so any fork, other than a 1.5" steerer will work, and although it's not ideal, you can get a 15mm to 9mm adapter axle if the revs are QR, if 15mm dropouts on the forks even better. I doubt he'll be hucking off big stairs or doing 10' drops while riding with his daughter, and 2nd hand Argyles can be had for the $100-150 mark and are pretty much bomb proof and have a 20mm axle.
I fail to see your point...flex much? Or just lift?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

Those forks aren't designed for surviving long term abuse, but they would last some riders years...
our good ol mate Moorey loves his Revs, he will get years out of a set - but the main reason for this is he spends most of his hours on internet forums casting judgement to the less enlightened!:behindsofa:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an old pair of mavic MTB wheels on Hope hubs. Should be OK?
Should be sweet. The hope hubs allow conversion to bolt up on the back. Which is important if you're running horizontal drop outs.
And rocshox revelation forks
Yeah, they're perfect. All the 'dirt jump specific' forks on the market (fox 831, manitou circus, rs pike, marzocchi slope) are based on similar chassis. I ran the same set of revelations for years without issue... They survived a few big crashes.

The difference between Street and dirt jump bikes is becoming a bit more pronounced. Dedicated street bikes can be 24", might no have brake mounts, or will have u-brake mounts, they're 110x10mm spaced for bmx hubs, short chainstays (<370mm), steep head angles (72+) and positive bb rise.

Dirt jump specific will be the opposite. Built for 26", 69ish degree head angle, 380-400mm chainstays. Usually these are built with mtb parts rather than bmx.

I'd recommend picking up a second hand complete customer built dirt jumper for around a grand and seeing how that feels. There's lots of brands out there (ns, last, leaf, blk mrkt, dartmoor), most are reputable. Make sure the bike hasn't been totally trashed, but be prepared to replace a few parts. Custom built is cool, but might be too hard for someone without experience in what they like to ride.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Should be sweet. The hope hubs allow conversion to bolt up on the back. Which is important if you're running horizontal drop outs.

Yeah, they're perfect. All the 'dirt jump specific' forks on the market (fox 831, manitou circus, rs pike, marzocchi slope) are based on similar chassis. I ran the same set of revelations for years without issue... They survived a few big crashes.

The difference between Street and dirt jump bikes is becoming a bit more pronounced. Dedicated street bikes can be 24", might no have brake mounts, or will have u-brake mounts, they're 110x10mm spaced for bmx hubs, short chainstays (<370mm), steep head angles (72+) and positive bb rise.

Dirt jump specific will be the opposite. Built for 26", 69ish degree head angle, 380-400mm chainstays. Usually these are built with mtb parts rather than bmx.

I'd recommend picking up a second hand complete customer built dirt jumper for around a grand and seeing how that feels. There's lots of brands out there (ns, last, leaf, blk mrkt, dartmoor), most are reputable. Make sure the bike hasn't been totally trashed, but be prepared to replace a few parts. Custom built is cool, but might be too hard for someone without experience in what they like to ride.
+1 and remember, steel is reel.