"Dirt Jumps" Proposal HELP!!!

tomysu

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone. Well my first thread...haha. anyway,

I am wanting to build a set of "Dirt Jumps" in my backyard but seen I am new to this I am wanting your help!

My idea is to have around 7 jumps ranging from 3-6ft high. I will be digging pits and half the up ramp will be underground and also the downramp. Berms will also be half underground. The only problem I can come across is that the proposed area has a slight downwards slope. A wall ride is an idea I came up with which would be pretty cool but thats only once I build the DJ's.

I have a 4 and a half tonne excavator which is available for me to use which will help me out and get the job done a lot quicker. I will be building on my own land, private property.

So I am putting it out to you all to see if you can help me out or give me some advice. If you dont understand I can post up some more information...but for now give me a comment or two!
Cheers!

P.S Oh and by the way check out the sketch and pictures of the location to give you an idea!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dirt n Street

Likes Dirt
well if it is only a small slope then it wont bother the jump building too much but you would probably want to dig some drainiage ditches to divert runoff water away.

Last edited:

Dirt n Street

Likes Dirt
are you planning on just digging ditches for the water to travel in? or you could go all fany and use pvc pipe and stuff. and i just thought you might want to have drainiage on the higher side of each jump because when the water runs down the hill it might erode (sp?) the bottom of the jumps.

THISISTC

Likes Dirt
What you can use instead of PVC pipe is argy(sp?) pipe which is alot cheaper than PVC. OR you can buy 5.4m lengths of pvc and cut it to size yourself

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use the downward slope to get speed so you dont have to pedal so much and if you use the track just slighty across the gradient so it will naturally drain and you only have to stop it building up at the base of the jumps

ajm1726

Squid
if your going to be building pits you would need to think about drainage. also that wallride you were talking bout would be great.

tomysu

Likes Bikes
Hi guys! Well its been a while since Ive last Logged in and since then "I HAVENT" been able to Start on these DJ's I had planned a while back as I was busy with other things like riding Motos, school etc :)

Anyways, Bumping this up with some more Advice as "I WILL" be starting on this within the next 2 Weekends with a few mates!

Any more Advice would be MUCH Appreciated...AND what is a DECENT gap I should make the DJs, I will be riding it on a BMX??? 4FT is pretty small and so is 6FT Im thinking...what gaps do you guys usually hit? Is 8FT alright?

Thanks again ;)

Last edited:

sickdogmadrash

Likes Dirt
sizing of the gap depends on 1) your skill as a rider 2) the amount of speed you have for it and 3) what bike you have.

ok, if you are riding bmx, you want more of "superkicker" style set of jumps that are real kicky and wil send you really high but not that far, usually these are like 2m gap for a decent size ramp, be sure to make pits before the ramp and to make your downramp the same size if not bigger than the upramp, when im building i usually make the downramp like 1.5 times the upramp. makes the trails more smooth cause you cant case as much.

your lucky to have a excavator(sp) handy. for most people it is long days spent swinging a shovel in the heat wanting to ride.