disc mount facing tool?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my local bike shop doesn't have one, so i'm looking for a recomendation from someone.
brisbane, centralish, not cowboys.
any suggestions?

Ty

Eats Squid
lupine128 said:
my local bike shop doesn't have one, so i'm looking for a recomendation from someone.
brisbane, centralish, not cowboys.
any suggestions?
no shop around brissy has one yet i don't think.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hey lupine... hate to burst your bubble because it really isn't as rough as it sounds, but many of the shops (I know) that actually have a tool prefer to use a file... especially the older more experienced guys. I remember when I was doing my apprenticeship that we were actually TAUGHT to use a file over a LONG period of time and it was and still is an accepted part of engineering/toolmaking with very very accurate and flat results possible if you take your time and hold it flat against a well-held surface (clamp that bike down well). We machine the surfaces of disc mounts BEFORE fitting them and hopefully we shouldn't have to touch them after that, but most of the mounts I've seen (both factory and custom) have ALWAYS needed shimming if you want them perfect and it doesn't seem to matter whether the magic tool, a file or a laser guided stealth grinder has been run over the top of them or not.

Cheers

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, i could file them, but i kinda suck at some stuff, and i wanted to make sure they were perfectly parralel before i started screaming abuse at the hydros i'm trying to set up :)

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Yep... I understand about sucking at stuff (my own list is way too long for my liking). Still you might not have the option if Brissy can't provide the tool. I know it's probably a pain but if you could firmly clamp the frame down lying on its side and use a pretty smooth file and take your time you should be fine. I'm not trying to be a smartarse either (because I certainly don't have your frame in front of me to look at) but are you certain this needs facing? Is it an alignment problem (that you might be able to fix easier with shims) or a problem with the surface of the disc mount itself? Sorry I couldn't help any more than that.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm getting a little flex in the rotor. trying to explain it with out pics so bear with me.it's not flexing in line with rotor so the two mount points are parralel. it's not flexing the disc over to one side or the other so it's not spacing. it seems to be trying to twist the caliper as if the mounting points had been bent out of true.
think that explains it. will try again when i have had some sleep.