Disk Brake for trials - Whats so bad about it?

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
i have a couple of questions, if u're leet enough to answer :lol:

1. would my disk brake tabs on my forks rip off if the front disk is applied in the opposite direction? how much force usually?
2. would that happen to the tabs on my frame aswell? i'm paranoid of doing back wheel hops because isn't that applying presure in the wrong direction on the tabs?
3. would you buy me a new bike if my tabs broke?
4. is it hard/possilbe to rip the tabs off u're frame?

thanks guys, i think too much and at the moment this has been on my mind for a while.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
from what i know (which isnt much)

1. i dont think it will happen to ur forks, only because ive never heard of it happening
2. hopin on yer back wheel or doing drops with ur back brakes on will most like snap the chainstays or break off the tabs (what frame r u using?)
3. no i wont
4. i dont know

belly_up

Likes Dirt
i was thinking about it (which is dangerous) and i reckon if you were worried about it, you could get someone with some machining ability to drill out the caliper mounting bolts, so that they are the weakest part of the mouning equation. Drill out a few sets with different size holes in them, and start with the ones with the biggest holes in them. if they break too easy, then move up to the next smallest hole. etc, until you have a set that don't brake too easily, but will still break before the tabs. this means all you break is a coupla dollars worth of bolts, with the added advantage that they're pre-drilled for when you need to use the ezy-outs on them :D

Ryan

Radministrator
Alright, Ty or nodabs would be the guys to ask about this, but from my very general knowledge on this issue the answer is Yes, disk brakes are generally not used for trials because the extreme forces good trials riders put on the tabs in the wrong direction can snap the mounts off the frame. Also, disk brake rotors are vulnerable in urban / trials riding situations when you tend to crash on unyielding, square-edged concrete surfaces.
I don't think tabs ripping off is that much of an issue doing general-stuffing-about type things like just hopping on your back wheel, more an issue for the hardcore trials boys out there.
I've never heard of someone ripping the tabs off a set of forks, I don't know of any moves that would put that much force through them anyway. So;
1. Probably not.
2. Just hopping on your back wheel, Probably not.
3. Probably not.
4. Yes its hard, yes it's possible if you're doing serious trials moves

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What fork and what frame ??

I did this to a 00 Jr.T(with a 6" magura louise) but it could happen to any 00 model Marz fork.

Here is another

And a planet X that had been used for trials, looks pretty beat up though.

None of this really means your gonna have a problem though, just thought i'd share what CAN happen in certain situations.

Ty

Eats Squid
well theres a a few pretty easy answers, i don't see the point of running discs on the front, they are just adding weight and you don't really need that kind of power on the front wheel, alot of trails riders even drop theres maguras in favor of V's on the front just because they weigh less.
running disc on the back for trials is pretty much a big no-no, i think brisa is the only company that has a reliable disc setup for trails bikes, theres just too much force in the wrong direction and it's been proven time and time again that i's just not a good idea, find some maguras, they are cheaper and as ryan said you wont damage them as easily as discs.

so i reckon you should just buy my Planet X and i'll throw in some ridge forks and you'll be hopping around like a mad man.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
ok well i'm not doing FULL HARDCORE 1000ft drop trials and hoping on cars etc. i'm talking like newb trials, like back wheel hops and front wheel hops. doing small things like that won't rip the tabs off will they?
i've gor a marzocchi z4 and a trek bruiser frame

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
peachy said:
ok well i'm not doing FULL HARDCORE 1000ft drop trials and hoping on cars etc. i'm talking like newb trials, like back wheel hops and front wheel hops. doing small things like that won't rip the tabs off will they?
i've gor a marzocchi z4 and a trek bruiser frame
I believe it's generally the hoping around on a locked up back wheel that does the damage, there just isn't any give so the mounts go snaaap. I guess if your not a big guy and don't go too hard you should be fine. If your really concerned maybe look at getting a second pair of brake pads that are either lesser quality or contaminated, that way you will put a whole lot less stress on ya frame/fork. Not ideal for trials but if your really worried.......