disk brake problems..

norco_one25

Likes Dirt
my hayes mechs are screeching like hell now and slip as well. anyone know how i can fix this?
today i tried cleaning with metho and i did, and i must have used the brakes before the rotors have dried so now my pads are rooted?

anyways.. thanks for any help.

juzza

Likes Dirt
chuck your pads in a pot of boiling water for a bit- they may have iol and greasy shit on them then give them another go. If they still squeek, chuck mud and sand and stuff on the rotor.

norco_one25

Likes Dirt
I had my pads 3 cm over a flame today, is that enough? also with the water bit.. do i leave it in the water then boil, or should i chuck it in after the water is boiling and for how long?

S.

ex offender
How old are the brakes? Mine started doing that when I'd had them for a couple of months...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Burn, boil, bake, fry or stew your pads at your own risk. It is really not a sound procedure and I would advise dishing out for some new pads; that's if they actually are contaminated, some just squeak, live with it.

PS: Bring on the "I stewed all the pads I've ever owned!" responses, we know you can get away with it but IMO it just isn't worth the risk.

bazza

look at me
yup i have the exact same problem! just baught new pads and they are still slipping (i have gone through the bedding procedure. however i should just buy a new brake cable. put some oil on her and she should be apples.....should be....if that fails its time to throw them in the bin or sell them to a little posser kid and get an amour hydro for the rear as well!

BagofSkill

Likes Dirt
To clean your disks you can used brake cleaner (available from servo's) or carburettor cleaner. using some rubber gloves isn't wimpy with these things, esp the carburettor cleaner. The disks may alsoo like a light sanding, just to get the shine off, say P120 paper. But disks go for ages.
What is more common is the pads become glazed. Pull them out of the the caliper, and rub them against some concreate (it's gotta be rough, not the polished kind). This is like sanding the pads, but it has to be against a firm, flat suface, you can't do it with paper in your hand. Bike pads are relitivley hard, so it'll take a bit of force, but you'll see as soon as the pads are clean.

Quick way, as Rik said, put some water on your disks, throw some building sand on them, and ride for a bit. I think that worked well for him last week.

Good luck.

wombat

Lives in a hole
BagofSkill said:
To clean your disks you can used brake cleaner (available from servo's) or carburettor cleaner. using some rubber gloves isn't wimpy with these things, esp the carburettor cleaner.
Be careful using auto dick cleaner. Bicycle disks don't get anywhere near as hot as car ones, so there can sometimes be a residue left from the car cleaner on the rotors which is not cool. Isopropyl is always a safe bet.

BagofSkill

Likes Dirt
Yeah, if you buy car products, don't skimp. Use a brand like Wurth, otherwise yoiu may get an oily residue, which won't help you at all!