DJ around Sydney. Should I get a 2nd hand DJ bike?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Need to make friends with pump track as I'm crap at jumping and need to improve. I know 3 places to go in Sydney, Barden Ridge, Bare Creek, and Campbelltown. The first is too busy with kids - can't get a decent ride in without a close shave and an ensuing encounter with the parents. The other 2 are miles away from where I am and pain to get to. Anywhere else? Somewhere close to eastern suburbs for a quick brap during lunch?

I have Commencal Meta AM which is a tank for pump tracks with 27.5+ tyre and 170mm fork. Should I get a 2nd hand DJ bike?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Yes get a DJ. They're fun. I use mine all the time.

Barden ridge is not going to help with jumps (well, not much). But it's a decent sized asphalt pump track.
Proximity to Mill Creek is good though, which has a nice easy jump line called Hit the Turps. That would be good to build confidence. It's built for mtbs though, not DJs.

(Sorry if I'm totally mansplaining the Ridge/Mill ck situation.)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yes get a DJ. They're fun. I use mine all the time.

Barden ridge is not going to help with jumps (well, not much). But it's a decent sized asphalt pump track.
Proximity to Mill Creek is good though, which has a nice easy jump line called Hit the Turps. That would be good to build confidence. It's built for mtbs though, not DJs.

(Sorry if I'm totally mansplaining the Ridge/Mill ck situation.)
Hit the turps is fine on a dj bike. I just run a little less psi in the tyres than I normally would when I’m riding there (50psi down from 65)
The jumps are abit low but it’s much easier than sending bmx trails if you’re starting. And the b-line is a pretry good place to start out on.
It’s the only mtbing I’ve done while waiting for my cotic to get built haha!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Old man's valley can provide a bit of fun as well, but may be on your too far and too crowded lists.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Thanks folks. HTT is also my go to for practice, but never thought of taking a DJ there! I struggle clearing the A lines without pedalling my guts out. Got to learn to pop rather than reliant on speed.

how much would u pay for a 2nd hand DJ? Prices seems nuts 2nd hand, averaging $800 or more while I can get a norco from 99 bikes for $1100 or thereabouts.

Ultra Lord

Thanks folks. HTT is also my go to for practice, but never thought of taking a DJ there! I struggle clearing the A lines without pedalling my guts out. Got to learn to pop rather than reliant on speed.

how much would u pay for a 2nd hand DJ? Prices seems nuts 2nd hand, averaging $800 or more while I can get a norco from 99 bikes for $1100 or thereabouts.
Gotta pump the corners and those rollers, you can clear the whole line without pedalling after the first corner.
Maybe a few pedals into the last step up depending on how loose that bottom berm is.
Add some more pressure in the tyres and firm up your suspension. Keep practicing, you’ll get there.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was recently looking around myself, apparently the Norco's are absolute garbage - info came from someone who would know and I trust his word.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Maybe you need to use the trains and throw in a bit of a street ride as well.
Street ride as in skate park? Trains are good, but will still take me 1.5 hours one way.

I was recently looking around myself, apparently the Norco's are absolute garbage - info came from someone who would know and I trust his word.
Wops. Thanks for the info. I’ll avoid them. So tempted to get the banshee amp, but don’t have the parts to build the frame up - hubs, cranks, cogs, etc. whole bike is >2k!

Ultra Lord

Wops. Thanks for the info. I’ll avoid them. So tempted to get the banshee amp, but don’t have the parts to build the frame up - hubs, cranks, cogs, etc. whole bike is >2k!

I’d be going the commy if it was me.

But really I’d be grabbing a PBJ…… because that’s what I’m running atm

Don’t be suckered into cheap dj bikes, they just break and ride bad. Crappy, flexy wheels that bend as soon as you look at them, cranks that break and creak….

Vote 1 adjust your meta and ride that more and think more about how badly you want to ride dj’s.
Grab a cheap BMX for pumptrack duties?

Don’t be suckered into cheap dj bikes, they just break and ride bad. Crappy, flexy wheels that bend as soon as you look at them, cranks that break and creak….

Vote 1 adjust your meta and ride that more and think more about how badly you want to ride dj’s.
I'm too old for a dj however I own all of these bikes

in my spankbank

gippyz

Likes Dirt

skinnier tyres and add more air to the fork?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I disagree on cheap DJs
Just get one. Not a total POS. But no need to spend 2-3k
If it breaks, fix it.
Throw some second hand forks on if you need to...

My need was something I could throw around without caring about it. Cheap and cheerful. A $150 Giant STP with a new set of Manitou forks thrown on it was perfect.

A 3k tranny pbj is lovely!! But not what I wanted in a DJ.