DJ Stack height

The_Taurean

Likes Bikes
I recently bought a Norco 250 with the intention of getting into dirt jumping but I have no background in this sort of riding so I'm struggling to work out bike fit.

I'm 6 ft and I've got a medium (largest size) frame. When I got the bike I was expecting the bars to have a fair bit of rise but they're actually quite flat.

When I'm riding it feels like I'm quite bent over, and when the pedals are level my hands are about the same height as my knees. Is this normal for a dirt jumper or do I need a higher rise bar?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The wide flat bar trend is everywhere...my recommendation is to go with what is comfortable fo you. I've never really followed conventions, I just set up how i like it. If you're comfortable you'll probably ride more and riding more is good for skill development.

If you're feeling cramped up and hunched down (well that is kind of how dj bikes roll) higher and possibly wider bars may help with this. The idea of the DJ bike is for it to be low and compact for manoeuvrability.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I've seen many a DJ rolling around with stupid high (4"+) rise. Put some high bars on and see if it feels good.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think they are meant that way, I bought a med. GT Ruckus from a bloke that was over 6 foot and I'm 5.4. I still look like a hunchback on it. I made it worse by changing the Marz over to a short steerer by 20mm to have dual air dirt jumpers as I couldn't stand the coil spring no longer. It's a dedicated dirt jumper and pump track bike because it's terrible as a trail bike.

Djprac1 (2)_Moment2.jpg

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Dirt jump bikes have gone to shit (these days). I think they are made for 12 year olds. You would be better of, on a 26inch bmx bike (if you like big wheels).

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
250s originally came with 3" riser bars on them. I ride 3" bars on my 24. The a-c of the fork is quite low and they have a bit less height in the wheel. I run 4" bars on my street bike. It has a very small rake on the fork and again its a-c is very short. On my 26 dj i run 30mm rise. Fork is taller and it's got a few spacers too.
There is no right or wrong, only what you prefer. Wide flat bars are very good for high speed stability and big air. Higher rise and narrow bars can allow for better slower moving technical tricks.
Don't discount that the width may be too much. Because you do stand hunched over on dj bikes, wide bars will pull you lower. I run all mine at 710mm, but I'm 5'2". Plenty of taller dudes run "narrow" bars. Keeps you more upright and allows for better arm movement.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I ran 685mm bars on my old P3 with a 40mm stem. I moved that setup over to my new NS Clash which I got in large. It isn't a dedicated dirt jump bike, but it does bunnyhop quite nicely. You may like narrower bars. I just switched to 750mm bars with a 50mm stem onto my Heckler and don't like it. The 60mm stem with 685mm (yep both are the same width) bars are going back onto it. The bike may feel better with narrower bars.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
So i had the opportunity to get a side on shot of myself riding my 24 today. I would say this is fairly standard for how people look, with 26 they are a little bit more upright. While riding I'd usually have legs more bent tho, this posture is slow moving on flat. But if you're knees and hands are level, I'd definitely get risers. The top of my knee is where the knee goes from black to red.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So i had the opportunity to get a side on shot of myself riding my 24 today. I would say this is fairly standard for how people look, with 26 they are a little bit more upright. While riding I'd usually have legs more bent tho, this posture is slow moving on flat. But if you're knees and hands are level, I'd definitely get risers. The top of my knee is where the knee goes from black to red.

Good point about knee-hand level. I would use bars or stem rather than spacers to get the height.

* you may be taller than flow rider!