Do I need a bleed block for bleeding Avid Elixir 5?

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at buying a bleed kit for Avid and have noticed that the ones on Ebay are less than half the price of what CRC charges for the official kit.

The only obvious difference is the lack of a bleed block. All the instructions I've found on the web say to use a bleed block but I was wondering if anyone out there can comment on whether its necessary? Are there any work arounds, etc?

CalamityMTB

Likes Bikes
Short answer: Yes.

Its required as an essential part of the bleed process, i suppose you could manufacture something yourself but i suggest you get the avid kit, your LBS should be able to hook you up with one for around $60 and it will come with bleed blocks for most avid brakes including elixirs:D

safire

Likes Dirt
You can also go into your lbs and ask them nicely if they have any spare bleed blocks lying around that you can have. Worked for me!

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the official kit comes with a couple of line shortening kits too which may come in real handy down the track.

Still I'd say go the cheaper route.
You could always go into a store asking for some blocks (my LBS had a couple spare for me when I needed to post some Elixirs) or if that fails, post up a WTB as I'm sure someone might have one they don't need hanging around.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies - I'd guessed as much. Someone has offered me their spare block via PM, so I'll give it a go with the cheap kit I think.