Do I need more dropper travel?

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
If, for example, it was inserted as far as possible, with 125mm, and the seat was the right height lifted...150mm will add 50mm to minimum seat height. 25mm of extra mast, and 25 of lift height.
This only applies if post is slammed in as far as possible, but something like frame kink or shock bolt stops full insertion.
I have this exact issue on my Suppressor.
A 150mm is longer in mast and can’t fully insert. So that 25mm of exposed post, and 25mm more lift, makes its minimum height 50mm taller than I can run a 125. View attachment 355439
New frame or bike needed for 25mm more seat travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Looking forward to impressions on the Manic. Looking at one for a future build in 170mm flavor. $40 for a new cartridge and $25 for a seal kit and super easy to break down and service too. Only downsides from reviews I have read are they are a bit heavy and a bit of movement in the post from new.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Are you referring to the v1 composite plastic OneUp remote or the v2 alloy one? I’ve got a 170mm OneUp on my hardtail, but opted for a Bikeyoke remote because I wasn’t a fan of the plastic OneUp remote.
The V1 plastic remote. Always felt flimsy

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That was more hassle to install than it should have been... First I forgot to shorten the out cable, then it kept jamming...

Eventually realised Giant had routed the cable behind the suspension rocker pivot that goes through the seat tube and the X-Fusion wants the cable at the front. So had to push the cable way down and then slowly and fiddly fish it back up the front of the seat tube. Eventually got there.

It’s nice. Much better than the Giant OE unit. Only concern is when I gave the seat post clamp a probably over enthusiastic tighten the post has a tight spot - just a gentle nip of the clamp and smooth again. Hmm - bit prone to being squashed...

But even just coming down the main front trail at stromlo the extra drop is noticeable.

Haakon

All the posts I've used are sensitive to a tight clamp... You need to find the right balance of the action and the post slipping down. Can take some time.
Yes indeed. Got the torque wrench out, and 3 Nm was about the magic number.

Haakon

Ok peeps - be super careful with seat post clamps with this one... I was still getting a sticky part and it wouldn't return to the top on its own.

I got it out and even filled in the cycling deal return form. But after an hour out of the bike i was playing with it again and it was behaving again. Hmmm. Put it back int eh bike and only did the two seat post clamp bolts to 2nm this time and I think its ok now.

The OE Giant dropper didnt care about clamp tightness, this one is sensitive though.

I do like it though. Its lighter to push down, and the lever is fantastic. And was more finesse controlling the rise and setting a height. Nice bit of kit so long as you're very gentle with the clamp.