Do I need more dropper travel?

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I strongly recommend jamming your post as far in possible to cross check how far it will drop into the frame.

My carbon frame stopped really early, but after inspecting with a tape measure and torch came to the conclusion it must have just been some carbon or something stopping it. Gave it a good wack and yep it went much lower than the 125 was on first timid attempt.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I strongly recommend jamming your post as far in possible to cross check how far it will drop into the frame.

My carbon frame stopped really early, but after inspecting with a tape measure and torch came to the conclusion it must have just been some carbon or something stopping it. Gave it a good wack and yep it went much lower than the 125 was on first timid attempt.
Yep, checked that it’ll go into the dropper collar - I have the couple of inches in the seat tube to play with.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Just remember, you need potentially 2” of currently exposed mast to get another 1” of drop if you can’t insert it all the way down.
Yeah, I just went out with the tape measure and I think a 170mm is out - they're 400mm long and thats at best jammed up against the rocker pivot kink in the seat tube.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
X-Fusion all the way. I’ve had two of those cycling deal posts and they are an absolute steal for the money. The stock X-Fusion remote is pretty decent as well, better than a Southpaw and miles ahead of the standard OneUp remote

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Already have a Vecnum Nivo 212mm, and I still want more travel - I want dirt-jumper to XC seat height travel! Haha. :) And tbh the Vecnums are stupidly expensive for such a mechanically basic post, and actuation is a little inconsistent too. Sometimes the post doesn't extend for a second or two after hitting the lever (you can hear the mechanical actuator decouple). I really need to pop it open and give it lube as it seems a fairly common grumble.

I was wishing BikeYoke would do a longer one as I love the light, smooth and consistent actuation of the Revive I still have - but I e-mailed them a while back asking if they planned to do a 200mm+ dropper and they said no plans in 30.9 or 31.6, possibly, maybe but unlikely in 34.9 in some undetermined future timeline...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
X-Fusion all the way. I’ve had two of those cycling deal posts and they are an absolute steal for the money. The stock X-Fusion remote is pretty decent as well, better than a Southpaw and miles ahead of the standard OneUp remote
Are you referring to the v1 composite plastic OneUp remote or the v2 alloy one? I’ve got a 170mm OneUp on my hardtail, but opted for a Bikeyoke remote because I wasn’t a fan of the plastic OneUp remote.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Capitalism's answer to everything is bigger, more , further but , I can hear the howling already but i actually went for less drop recently ie 75mm was adequate.
riding at 125 mm hurt my knees .
Yes i know, you stand , but one has to pedal sometimes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm sure this is the only component thats been holding me back from enduro greatness all this time
You’ve been an inch from greatness all this time. 150mm is a good minimum I reckon, unless you are frame/body restricted of course.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Manic ordered. Will try it with the Giant lever (its the newer under bar one, I didn't like their older one...). I'm sure this is the only component thats been holding me back from enduro greatness all this time ;)
If it's not then the only solution I can see would be a new bike. Hopefully the new dropper will transfer over to it.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Manic ordered. Will try it with the Giant lever (its the newer under bar one, I didn't like their older one...). I'm sure this is the only component thats been holding me back from enduro greatness all this time ;)
The new one is certainly streets ahead of the old one! But I still rate the feel of the OneUp lever better than the new Giant one.

I don't get what all the hate is about for the OneUp lever.... Ah well.

moorey

call me Mia
I can’t quite picture this. Any chance of a photo showing your 2” exposed mast at 1” insertion?
If, for example, it was inserted as far as possible, with 125mm, and the seat was the right height lifted...150mm will add 50mm to minimum seat height. 25mm of extra mast, and 25 of lift height.
This only applies if post is slammed in as far as possible, but something like frame kink or shock bolt stops full insertion.
I have this exact issue on my Suppressor.
A 150mm is longer in mast and can’t fully insert. So that 25mm of exposed post, and 25mm more lift, makes its minimum height 50mm taller than I can run a 125.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, I just went out with the tape measure and I think a 170mm is out - they're 400mm long and thats at best jammed up against the rocker pivot kink in the seat tube.
And having it jammed down hard can effect actuation unseen...but can muck it up over time.
150 is ample for me. 125 is too. But I’m only 5’7”

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If, for example, it was inserted as far as possible, with 125mm, and the seat was the right height lifted...150mm will add 50mm to minimum seat height. 25mm of extra mast, and 25 of lift height.
This only applies if post is slammed in as far as possible, but something like frame kink or shock bolt stops full insertion.
I have this exact issue on my Suppressor.
A 150mm is longer in mast and can’t fully insert. So that 25mm of exposed post, and 25mm more lift, makes its minimum height 50mm taller than I can run a 125. View attachment 355439
96946403-52B6-426B-96B2-7FDF0D7572F8.gif

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Already have a Vecnum Nivo 212mm, and I still want more travel - I want dirt-jumper to XC seat height travel! Haha. :) And tbh the Vecnums are stupidly expensive for such a mechanically basic post, and actuation is a little inconsistent too. Sometimes the post doesn't extend for a second or two after hitting the lever (you can hear the mechanical actuator decouple). I really need to pop it open and give it lube as it seems a fairly common grumble.
Might have to check back in with you on this in a bit. I’d like more than the 150 I’ve currently got when i (probably) go gen 4 Ripley.

I’d read some good feedback on the Vecnum.