Do you get your forks serviced - Even if they are running OK ?

Rat

Likes Dirt
I have a Giant XtC2 2005 with Scareb comp forks.

I have done almost 2000km - including probably about 800km on rough singletrack over six months.

My forks are still working perfectly without ever being serviced. I'm getting a new chain, gear cables and tyres soon as I have a couple of big enduro races coming up.

My question is, should I (would you) get the forks serviced even though I'm happy with them, or would you leave them alone for fear of stuffing up a good thing ?

scblack

Leucocholic
Do you service your car, even though it is still running?

Your question should be - do I service my forks, or shall I wait until they fail, then spend loads fixing them?

Especially the first service is important, because you will surely get filings, and other tiny bits and pieces of crap floating around, from wearing in.

Yes you should service them.

Last edited:

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^ what he said.

especialy on a manitou, they have seperate oil for dampening and for lube (semi bath), so the volume of oil used in a semi bath is smaller meaning it get's contaminated faster, I'd suggest that once you are out of your warranty period you learn to change the semi bath oil yourself (it really quite easy) and do it every 3 months.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do I get my forks serviced?

Well to be totally honest, no I dont get my forks serviced if they are running ok, I do it myself every 3 months or so- If I have done some big enduros or alot of bad weather riding or even really dust conditions I do it sooner;)

Speaking of which, they are about due for a service :)

Have your forks serviced by a pro if you dont know what you doing- it's quiet basic, but can get reall messy really quickly if you something unexpected happens. There is nothing like the feeling of nice fresh, plush forks... Awesome!

...jim

skanky media ho
Go to the Manitou website (google is your friend).

You'll find very detailed instructions there. While you're googling, have a squizz at the Enduro Seals site - they have even better idiot-proof step-by-step insturctions for SOME (not all) forks.

Baby steps for starters - I'd suggest just servicing the outers - don't stress the damping oil or spring inside the inners at this stage, they probably only need attention once or twice a year given they're better sealed. (Mind, you'll likely have to let the air outa your sping anyway - see directions)

The object is basically to take the sliders off the stantions, clean 'em, lube 'em and whack 'em back on. As said, it's pretty easy when you've got it sussed, but can be hella hard if you're lacking the important bit for the vital step.

Make sure you've got the right tools and oil/lube before you dive it - and DON'T do it the night before the big race!!

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Read the manual - most quality forks will have 2 or 3 manuals, a setup manual, a user guide and a service manual. Generally all the info you need will be in the service manual.

In a small service, I change all fluids, particularly oil bath fluids as they tend to get the shittest the quickest. Occasionally I will change damper fluid- all my forks always have had a sealed damper which is less suseptable to the elements. I do this say every 6months. I will also change any seals, O-Rings / foam rings and crush washers every service.

Full service, I will change all fluids, and clean everything. This means taking absolutely everything apart, until you are left with a big layout of peices (remeber where it goes). I may tinker with verious washers and the like during doing this. I pissed around with the Pure Damper in my Dukes and Psylos to yeild some great results (and not so great) during this phase.

I will later put the forks back together- and change all the seals including external seals and all the fluids. Put them back on the bike once I am satisfied, and do a quick 2km loop to test them. Make changes in adjustments and oil levels etc.. If needed.

I'd recommend if you are doing a full service- buy the service kit, appropriate oils and greases and get some Enduro Seals from Chris atwww.enduroforkseals.com for the externals. The Enduros are a bastage to put in but well worth it in my opinion. Also use only quality fluids, some say there is no difference- but I think there is; not so much in preformance / protection- but the smoothness / plushness of the fork.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...jim said:
Make sure you've got the right tools and oil/lube before you dive it - and DON'T do it the night before the big race!!
Beat me to it Jim :p I do agree though- use the right tools. Right measurements, and best quality you can. Do not use imperial spanners on metric bolts if they "fit good enough" this is your first step to disaster. Some are odd sizes (i.e 26mm 6point socket).- so go out and get the right fitting; it helps.

Also agree with Jim on this other point- dont do it the night before. IF it's your first time, expect to be at it a while and look at the manual regularly. I had a not so cool experience where my forks would not travel more than 37mm I raced 12hrs like this on a very rocky course... It was a simple problem that could have been avoided doing the service a few days before- the bolt on the damper wasn't done up enough.