Does anyone around Sydney have a Small Intense M3?

Camby88

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, was just wondering if i could try a Small size for a 1 min ride, to check for size if anyone can help me out?

I've done all the research and at 5'8" I'm on the limit of a small frame.

Thanks in advance,
Campbell.

MB

Intense Australia
Get a medium buddy, unless you prefer a top tube that's too short. If you have a small that you are considering buying you'll get away with it as long as you have very wide bars.

Camby88

Likes Dirt
Get a medium buddy, unless you prefer a top tube that's too short. If you have a small that you are considering buying you'll get away with it as long as you have very wide bars.
Thanks yeah didn't think of the bar width aspect, would be just raceface atlas riser so 785mm. I had a feel of a friends large M3, but he had clips and the TT is two inches longer than a small.

I'd be doing the occasional freeride along with DH stuff.

Thanks

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
I'm 6 foot and used to ride a small with no problems. I liked the smaller frame. If you are getting a good deal on a small, go for i.t

driftking

Wheel size expert
Im. A commencal similar height the TT is 584 and fits perfect. Not sure if that will give some sort of guide or not. If you are on the upper limit of small most frames have some cross over so your probbly better on a Medium. But Anyway on the V2 commencal a 584 fits well I wouldn't go Any smaller.
The next size up with commencal is a TT of 603 and was way way too Big

Last edited:

Camby88

Likes Dirt
Im. A commencal similar height the TT is 584 and fits perfect. Not sure if that will give some sort of guide or not. If you are on the upper limit of small most frames have some cross over so your probbly better on a Medium. But Anyway on the V2 commencal a 584 fits well I wouldn't go Any smaller.
The next size up with commencal is a TT of 603 and was way way too Big
Yeah thanks, I'm on a small commencal supreme DH 2007 atm, and from what I can tell it is 565mm tt for small and 584mm for the larger. The small intense is 558mm tt or 22 inches.

I do have the 2009 listed as you say with 585mm for small tt, a little confusing.
I'll give it a go, thanks!

driftking

Wheel size expert
The 09 - 2012 commencal's are really a m size. They only have the two sizes for these years sonthey run a s/m and a l/XL frame.
I personally came off a small Frame from giant with a TT of around 22 and it felt too cramped. It was good fun to ride and awesome for freeride stuff as it was designed for and super nimble but for dh it was too cramped.
Obviously each bike has its own characteristics but a 22 TT I'd expect will be way too short for your height.
But have a test ride and see how it feels.
I will suggest that even if you feel happy on a small still try find a medium to test so you can tell which one really does feel right.

Last edited:

Camby88

Likes Dirt
ok, thanks. I guess in sydney it ends up being a lot more freeride than downhill riding.

I'll have a ride of the Supreme again locally and measure it well and make a decision.

Campbell

driftking

Wheel size expert
ok, thanks. I guess in sydney it ends up being a lot more freeride than downhill riding.

I'll have a ride of the Supreme again locally and measure it well and make a decision.

Campbell
Depends where you ride I am near Sydney and we have a good 6 - 8 downhill tracks locally. They are let's say secret and not on private property. Just need to find the right group of riders near you.
Also if your idea of freeride is just drops jumps and north shore stuff a dh bike can do all that easily you only need to see the redbull rampage and watch some of those boys on dh bikes smashing it up. Don't get me wrong fr bikes are better but dh bikes are easily as capable if your bar rotation isn't a concern.

Camby88

Likes Dirt
Depends where you ride I am near Sydney and we have a good 6 - 8 downhill tracks locally. They are let's say secret and not on private property. Just need to find the right group of riders near you.
Also if your idea of freeride is just drops jumps and north shore stuff a dh bike can do all that easily you only need to see the redbull rampage and watch some of those boys on dh bikes smashing it up. Don't get me wrong fr bikes are better but dh bikes are easily as capable if your bar rotation isn't a concern.
Yes I was just referring to the size issue how you said it would be more bareable having a small frame when freeriding as opposed to racing/ downhilling. There aren't that many DH tracks you can do runs with a car at, afaik.

Finding riders is another issue :)

MARKL

Eats Squid
IMO when measuring up a downhill bike TT length is far less important than with an XC or road bike. You want the bike to work when you are standing, not sitting and pedalling, a way of doing this is to look at the 'reach' and 'stack'. This is all based on an article I read years ago - I think Turner bikes were pushing this system.

Reach being - Imagine two vertical lines running through the centre lines of cranks and bar - measure horizontal distance between these two lines.

Stack - Imagine two horizontal lines running through the centre lines of cranks and bar - measure verticle distance between these two lines.

The comparison between these two measurements may assist more in comparing how down hill bikes will fit when you are out of the saddle than a simple TT measurement.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
IMO when measuring up a downhill bike TT length is far less important than with an XC or road bike. You want the bike to work when you are standing, not sitting and pedalling, a way of doing this is to look at the 'reach' and 'stack'. This is all based on an article I read years ago - I think Turner bikes were pushing this system.

Reach being - Imagine two vertical lines running through the centre lines of cranks and bar - measure horizontal distance between these two lines.

Stack - Imagine two horizontal lines running through the centre lines of cranks and bar - measure verticle distance between these two lines.

The comparison between these two measurements may assist more in comparing how down hill bikes will fit when you are out of the saddle than a simple TT measurement.
That's what I found when I built Up my V10. When I first sat on it, I thought OMG, I've got the wrong size, but when I rode it standing up if felt perfect. The seating was just designed more forward n higher, it's like 2 bikes, sitting feel very XC, standing like a DH goobler. Also, you have a different body position when riding slow standing than at speed. The latter you squat/sit in the bike more, this is where that bit of length comes in. FEEL is such a huge factor as there are so many variables at play in my opinion. If it was me n I had to choose, I think I'd rather a bit too big than a bit too small,,,,

Camby88

Likes Dirt

I know, I can't really get the downtube length, from which I can get the reach, which is really why I was hoping someone Sydney way had one. I know the vtt is the horizontal length from the middle of the headset to the middle of the seat post, parallel to the ground, and I know it really is only strictly relevant for xc, and gives a rough indication for DH. The stack height would be with the 08 boxxer wc's and no spacers probably, and atlas 785mm bars with a funn 40mm dm stem I'd say. I believe the intense chart below is for virtual tt as they have a large bend in the middle.
Sizing intense M3.jpeg

Last edited:

Camby88

Likes Dirt
Oh also when I mention TT I am refering to the virtual TT not actual. VTT is a better measure.
Yeah I figured, thanks. I'll have to try and get out for a ride with you some time, seems I'd find some good trails and good info !

Hey mate, I've got a small Intense SS2 if you wanted to have a sit on for size.
I think I'll pm you if that's ok

That's what I found when I built Up my V10. When I first sat on it, I thought OMG, I've got the wrong size, but when I rode it standing up if felt perfect. The seating was just designed more forward n higher, it's like 2 bikes, sitting feel very XC, standing like a DH goobler. Also, you have a different body position when riding slow standing than at speed. The latter you squat/sit in the bike more, this is where that bit of length comes in. FEEL is such a huge factor as there are so many variables at play in my opinion. If it was me n I had to choose, I think I'd rather a bit too big than a bit too small,,,,
Yeah, I know a med is ideal. But beggars can't be choosers, at least at the moment.