Does anyone have any tips about building step-downs?

Damon1

Squid
Im going to build a step down and i was just wondering if anyone who's had experience building one, could give me some pointers on what is the best and easiest way.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a huge number of different types of step down, so without knowing what you've got in mind it's hard to say. But some general pointers:

1. Make the lander big. Tall, long, wide. And tune the angle in with the trajectroy/speed of the rider.

2. Landers need a lot of dirt, unless the terrain naturally works. So make sure you've got a good local source of dirt before starting.

3. If you're going to use a lip, remember to keep a constant radius so you don't get bucked.

4. Don't huck to flat.

Damon1

Squid
There's a huge number of different types of step down, so without knowing what you've got in mind it's hard to say. But some general pointers:

1. Make the lander big. Tall, long, wide. And tune the angle in with the trajectroy/speed of the rider.

2. Landers need a lot of dirt, unless the terrain naturally works. So make sure you've got a good local source of dirt before starting.

3. If you're going to use a lip, remember to keep a constant radius so you don't get bucked.

4. Don't huck to flat.
Thanks mate! its on a down slope and i was thinking of just building up a little sender that has between a 1 and 2 metre drop, sound alright?

driftking

Wheel size expert
so its a down slope, I'm thinking about building up a flat sender, the lip of which will have a one to two metre drop back down to the natural down slope, little more understandable?
a flat sender like this.
my 10 second drawing. its art.
Untitled.jpg

Is this technically a drop though because there is no jumping portion rather than sending?
sender vs drop vs step down

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Make sure the platform of the sender is long enough (at least 2metres) and make sure the transition from the ground to sender is smooth.
Also if you might want put in some system to change the angle of the sender this will make the jump more versatile with steeper angles giving you more air.

Otherwise your setup (as per your drawing) will work fine and you will have some good hangtime.

attached some drawings of similar jumps we constructed on our place last year, might give you some ideas.

Attachments

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a flat sender like this.
my 10 second drawing. its art.
View attachment 293725

Is this technically a drop though because there is no jumping portion rather than sending?
sender vs drop vs step down

Although there's no "lip" on a flat sender, you still need to be aware about the effects of a radius. Basically, you have a sudden change of direction at the junction between the hill and the sender. In order to account for the effect of that (possibly sharp) change of direction, you'll want to make sure the flat portion is long enough to allow suspension to unload and reload before dropping.

Damon1

Squid
The first drawing was exactly what i was thinking, so yes it would be more of a drop than a step down.
Thanks everyone else for your advice, will keep it in mind!