Does this work?

ed the frog

Likes Dirt
hey all, not being a smart arse here, just generally interested but does this stolen bike forum work? has anyone spotten someones bike, taken them out with their own bike and returnd it to the owner? many sitings? or close encounters?

cheers

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't know how successful it's been in the past, but It definately has the potential. I found my bike 8 months after it had been stolen while I was out riding myself. So it's completely possible.

Also, when dealing with bikes like the Peeler that Daver had flogged, they are very specific and easily spotted bikes. Being that a bike as serious as a Peeler (or any other niche sport bike) would only interest some one who's keen on riding the same places and styles as the rest of the community, there's a high chance that some one will come in contact with the bike on a trail or race meet. Alternatively, if you're diriving down the street and see a 13 year old or commuter riding something like a Peeler or such, it's going to grab your attention, even more so if you're aware of one recently being stolen.

I for one always check this forum and would gladly stop some one on the street and ask to check their bike and grab some ID.

Additionally, if thieves or their buyers (pawn shops are the bigguns here) are regularly confronted by people checking their stuff, they may be more reluctant to make a habbit of stealing/buying them.

Last edited:

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Trev the Wonderllama's Vario was found by a LBS dude who read the post. As it was a highly recognisable bike, it was recognised. I doubt you would have much luck with say an STP, unless it was pink and brown, or checkers...but dont all go painting your bikes those colours cos ya'll will be back to square one.

cub

Squid
It does help, same as with the stolen sections on car forums. Atlast people can be on the lookout for you...the more eyes the better

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cub said:
It does help, same as with the stolen sections on car forums. Atlast people can be on the lookout for you...the more eyes the better
Calm down dude thats like 10 posts in 8 minutes.