Don't give us a bad name

HeezaGeeza

Likes Dirt
A short story relayed to me as witnessed by my Wife on Friday:

Walking from the Galleries Victoria to QVB on George St at lunchtime, the pedestrian lights turn red. There wasn't much traffic and 15 or so people bgan crossing.

Out of nowhere a cyclist (courier) flys through the lights and hits a young woman full on, knocking her 5 - 6 meters down the road. The poor girl is obviously in shock but luckily only has a few grazes.

Now, this is the bit that got me - the guy gets up, goes over to the girl and starts abusing her - asking her who is going to pay for the damage to his bike, why didn't she look where she was going etc. He was standing over her as she lay on the floor, shouting.

At this point people gathered round the girl to help out and someone called the police. Someone informed him that the lights were red to which he replied "I'm on a bike, I don't have to stop at red lights" IDIOT!!

The police arrived but by this time the guy had gone. It makes you wonder how lucky the girl was to come away pretty uninjured. Could have been far worse. If he'd have killed her, what recourse would the family have had against a cyclist really apart from criminal proceedings?

Anyway, I know this guy is in a minority but it makes you understand why some drivers don't like cyclists. 14 other people will have told this story too over the weekend!

So to anyone who does it jump lights to save a few extra minutes a day, don't. It could have been my Wife you hit!!

Nathan_

Likes Dirt
talk about aggression :(

Surprised the 14 witnesses didnt hold the rider down to the police arrived

Bacca

Likes Dirt
She's very lucky.

Had a girl at Uni get hit by a cyclist. She didn't use a crossing, he was pinned and neither saw each other until it was too late. Resulted in the girl spilling cerebral fluid from her head and dying twice on the way to RPA. Fortunately the cyclist didn't do the Harry and despite being exposed to great shock did what he could to help.

Bikes can do a lot of damage.

HeezaGeeza

Likes Dirt
Any idea if he was wearing a company jersey?
Unfortunately no. She did say he looked a bit odd, like he wasn't quite right in the head.

Problem is most couriers don't have uniform which makes it harder to track. I should stress I'm not trying to have a go at couriers and it wasn't definite he was a courier, just that he looked like one from the bike / bag / clothes.

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's very rare to see a cyclist stop at a red light as a car would, especially in town, i know i do it all the time, but i know im in the wrong. But the fact that he abused the pedestrian after ramming her is unbelievable, i would ve certainly held the guy till the cops arrived or at least tried , ok maybe not but i would ve thought about it.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
this is what realy peaves me off, not that fact that he hit the girl but that fact the some people think OMG he was on a bike that means everyone on a bike acts this way, all bikers are stupied. Its the same with motobike riders and pritty much every sport /activity. i dont think all bikers are dumb because i see one person being dumb, i think hes dumb but thats about it. i have never understood (2 words or 1?) why people do this. can anyone help me out? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was of the understanding that we could only legally run red lights if they went through a whole cycle (no pun intended) and didn't register us (ie when you wait on the sensor areas). In any case, I don't believe that if/when there was a law that said we could that it gave cyclists full rights to proceed through the red light without slowing or looking - as this would quickly get rid of many cyclists when they went through lights with cars around!

I saw a case a few weeks ago when people were crossing against the lights and a cyclist came flying around the corner and yelled and swore at everying - you fwits, get out of the fing way - kind of thing. The cyclist was completely in the right as the lights were green and the people shouldn't have been crossing. There were about 5 people who might look a bit better when they cross now, but at least 20 others who only saw a bike going at great speed swearing at people....

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
this is what realy peaves me off.
not that fact that he hit the girl but that fact the some people think OMG he was on a bike that means everyone on a bike acts this way, all bikers are stupied. its that same with motobike riders and pritty much every sport /activity. i dont think all bikers are dumb because i see one person being dumb i think hes dumb but thats about it. i have never understood (2 words or 1?) why people do this. can anyone help me out? :rolleyes:
You have completely missed the point. Please read, this isn't a "poor cyclists thread", it's a "don't be an idiot on your bike" thread, from a fellow cyclist.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
this is what realy peaves me off.
not that fact that he hit the girl but that fact the some people think OMG he was on a bike that means everyone on a bike acts this way, all bikers are stupied. its that same with motobike riders and pritty much every sport /activity. i dont think all bikers are dumb because i see one person being dumb i think hes dumb but thats about it. i have never understood (2 words or 1?) why people do this. can anyone help me out? :rolleyes:
I can help you out,re-write your post in english so as to be understood,what's your point?

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He saying he does not understand why people who see one person being a tool on a bike and assume that everyone who rides a bike acts like a tool based on the actions of one guy.

setonz

Likes Dirt
KARMA.... Karma is going to catch up with that fuckwit at some stage. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
You have completely missed the point. Please read, this isn't a "poor cyclists thread", it's a "don't be an idiot on your bike" thread, from a fellow cyclist.
i wasnt standing up for the cyclist. i was saying how dumb people are to think that since this cyclist is a nob all cyclist are nobs

Last edited:

tom_burford_orr

Likes Dirt
Don't you understand the world is made for couriers we just have to move around them and let them do what they have to. At least he is probably rather depressed after scratching his paint and a slight buckle in his Velocity Deep-V rims.
What a dick. At least every one helped the girl out.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Agreed, if he was going to have a go at her.. at LEAST help her off the ground first, then have a go.