Don't like e-bike... Or do I ?

BT180

Max Pfaff
THis is a specific tech question, just like the many threads started for non-motorbikes. There's no reason why a new thread can't be posted for this question.
Yeah, I get that, but it just turns into the same debate time and time again. Same thing happens in all the MTB Facebook groups.

Thanks for reminding everyone to keep on topic....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Would there be an e-bike that this did not happen with, Or the effects would see it feel normal once the power cut out ?
I have torque sensing mid drive and the power loss is progressive. It's not so much that it cuts out power, but more that the motor cannot produce power at higher rpm (it's geared for climbing).

So what it feels like is your initial stroke is a bit of a power boost and then when you are building speed it helps you along nicely. But get to about 70+ rpm and the power fades a bit. At 90rpm you are doing it by yourself.

FYI my mid drive is TSDZ2.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden e-bikes on a number of occasions and have found the 25kph cut out annoying. Mostly when coming down hill, it does feel like hitting a brick wall, but im not sure if it's the drag in the system or just the free boost tapering off and I'm left alone with my shitting legs and cardio.

Either way, they just awesome fun!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So... bought one of these today. Giant Full-E+1 Pro https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes-full-eplus-pro

Not for me though, for the missus. She usually shuttles us everywhere, goes on riding trips and doesn't ride... she was so happy to be riding with us and smashing us on the hills today that it was a done deal.
We tested a few of them and they were all quite similar apart from the look of the bikes, the battery capacity, the type of motor and the price. Most ranging from 6k to 11k in price and not a lot of difference in what you get. Motors... Shimano, Bosch, Brose or Yamaha. The Giant has Yamaha SyncDrive Pro motor which is based on the PWX, which was very impressive.

Interesting article here http://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-best-emtb-motor/

Deal closed by the 20% off price on the bike, bringing it from $6499 down to $5199... Sold !

The one in the pic was the demo bike, very surprising the cockpit is tiny and the demo bike was a large... which is supposedly the same geo and setup as the Giant Trance. My missus is approx 170cm and needed the Large.

I pick the bike up tomorrow and have ordered a wider set of bars, a DHF 2.6 Minion for the front as its currently got 2.6 Rekons which are basically fat Maxxis Ikons, wheels will be setup tubeless and the bike is 2x on the front... not sure that's necessary so will monitor how shes going and possibly go 1x.

20180417_150034.jpg

safreek

So... bought one of these today. Giant Full-E+1 Pro https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes-full-eplus-pro

Not for me though, for the missus. She usually shuttles us everywhere, goes on riding trips and doesn't ride... she was so happy to be riding with us and smashing us on the hills today that it was a done deal.
We tested a few of them and they were all quite similar apart from the look of the bikes, the battery capacity, the type of motor and the price. Most ranging from 6k to 11k in price and not a lot of difference in what you get. Motors... Shimano, Bosch, Brose or Yamaha. The Giant has Yamaha SyncDrive Pro motor which is based on the PWX, which was very impressive.

Interesting article here http://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-best-emtb-motor/

Deal closed by the 20% off price on the bike, bringing it from $6499 down to $5199... Sold !

The one in the pic was the demo bike, very surprising the cockpit is tiny and the demo bike was a large... which is supposedly the same geo and setup as the Giant Trance. My missus is approx 170cm and needed the Large.

I pick the bike up tomorrow and have ordered a wider set of bars, a DHF 2.6 Minion for the front as its currently got 2.6 Rekons which are basically fat Maxxis Ikons, wheels will be setup tubeless and the bike is 2x on the front... not sure that's necessary so will monitor how shes going and possibly go 1x.

View attachment 344297
Good stuff mate, I'm not an ebike advocate but if she has tolerated all your MTB antics for a long time she deserves a bit of easy biking fun.
Sorry, forgot to rant. Bloody e bikes, produced by Satan, god and Allah combinedo_O

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A good mate with health issues, who could never keep up with us, went and dropped a significant sum on a Specialized Lovo Turbo expert. An awesome ebike. Wrong side of $10k!

Owner has gone from struggling to enjoy MTB, to having an absolute ball.

I've had a 10 minute fang on it. Strikes me as the smooth delivery of power via 2.8" tyres actually does less trail damage then me grinding away on 2.25" tyres. And the ohlns forks, orgasmic stuff.

Other benefit, on turbo mode @ 250watts, I'm going to bust my guts keeping up, the climbing speeds are insane.

Pedal assist isn't the enemy. Ebikes delivering over 250watts with a throttle are.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm going to bust my guts keeping up, the climbing speeds are insane.
Its crazy, no effort to do 20kph+ uphill, she buzzed past us 3, laughed, gave a fistpump and yelled YEOOOOWWW. There is no possible way that any of us could keep up with an ebike on a hill over 5%, you can easily spin it up to 25kph with minimal effort and enjoy the first 250w for free.

She has issues with her knees under stress, which comes out the worst when pedalling a bike uphill... not anymore.