Don't like e-bike... Or do I ?

Rode an e-bike at a demo day and loved it mostly, but one thing let it down. Once at 25km the assist cut out and it was like riding through wet cement, so on trails that you could get the flow and speed up but still had to pedal, the e-bike ruined them.
Would there be an e-bike that this did not happen with, Or the effects would see it feel normal once the power cut out ?

Don't care for those who want to debate the whole E-bike thing, so save those comments for another thread.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
More info needed. What was the ebike you rode... and more specifically, what motor/system does it use?

Some ebikes disengage the motor/system when above the speed limit (Levo) for a more natural feel...some others stay engaged (Bosch) for the effect you described.

More info needed. What was the ebike you rode... and more specifically, what motor/system does it use?

Some ebikes disengage the motor/system when above the speed limit (Levo) for a more natural feel...some others stay engaged (Bosch) for the effect you described.
Thanks,

Merida, and was a Bosch system I think. So a Levo completely disengages the motor ? What system (brand) is used in them ? Are there any others like them ?

aanon

Likes Dirt
I have spent time on a Levo Stumpy and a Focus Thron and both of those assisted to way over 25kph, more like 50kph I reckon. The Thron had a different module , not sure how the Levo did it.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
Merida uses the Shimano Steps system, which I thought (via reading) that this was the best motor system. Also thought that It cuts out altogether when over speed ? I've only had a quick carpark ride on one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If there is another thread with the same question then please point me to it and i'll end this one.

If you want me to start another thread for e-bike hate, then let us know.
I just figure that one massive ebike festival of hate may have this covered and did seem to be mellowing out last time I peaked. But I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to read through it and try to find any useful information. It is filled with a lot of ranting and raging, plus my really insightful and wise posts...

I just figure that one massive ebike festival of hate may have this covered and did seem to be mellowing out last time I peaked. But I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to read through it and try to find any useful information. It is filled with a lot of ranting and raging, plus my really insightful and wise posts...
Oh ok, yeah, that much dribble in that post I thought I would drown so just left it alone.

Probs should start an ebike hate thread so those who wish can rage against the machine.

Really thinking of getting one if I can get around their shortcomings. IMO they have their place, but i’m Not giving up pure riding pleasure, which the one I test rode did.

Ideate

... save those comments for another thread.
You can't create an ebike related thread without some old harping codgers like Dozer and Poodle having a go. It's fun. Embrace it.

Merida, and was a Bosch system I think. So a Levo completely disengages the motor ? What system (brand) is used in them ? Are there any others like them ?
Merida use Shimano Steps. All the cool kids are using Shimano because their system is smaller, allows shorter chain stays and feels more seamless (compared to the competition).

Would there be an e-bike that this did not happen with, Or the effects would see it feel normal once the power cut out ?
No. There's no off the shelf eBike that will allow speeds of 25km+. Unless you buy one of those pre-made Bafang setups off eBay. Having said that, it's fairly easy to get around on popular ebike systems like the Shimano Steps.

1. Buy a SpeedBox or similar which is basically a hack to remove the speed limit.
  2. Build a custom eBike using a Bafang, or Tangent system (like the pictures below).

SpeedBox:

[video=youtube;PeaOvGxbd4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaOvGxbd4I[/video]

Custom:

IMG_20170604_192351.jpg

spit-e.jpg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
25kph average on trails is massive, an XC race will only have about 20pkh ave for fast riders and as said all unmodified Pedal-assist bikes will have a 25kph cut out... sounds like the bike you need is a dirtbike :thumb:

25kph average on trails is massive, an XC race will only have about 20pkh ave for fast riders and as said all unmodified Pedal-assist bikes will have a 25kph cut out... sounds like the bike you need is a dirtbike :thumb:
winner of the 2017 full fling averaged 22.3 Km/h over 104 kms with a buttload of climbing.

Farkin mighty effort !

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not trying to hack on e-bikes but I do agree with this ^^^ the speeds you want to go seem to transcend what is normally considered MTBing.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of sense being spoken right here...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I had two XR 250s and a Harley.

I was a much great threat to myself on those XRs and gave them up before I gave up breathing.