Down-Single-Gravel-Country build.. yea you heard me..

fastrider gus

super huck
So about 8 months ago I walked into a bike shop 3500km away from my home and asked for a cool new bike, I wasn't sure what that new bike was ment to be but I had a heap of cool parts in mind that I wanted. In the end I couldn't actually buy any of those parts, then the parts that I chose instead of the original parts were all sold out, the cool parts I saw on pinkbike were all sold out 2 months before their release date, then I changed from a Surly to a Curtis, and then to a Starling and it all sort of ended up like this...
I spent way too many moneys.. Moorey, it's too big for you..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fastrider gus

super huck
Frame - Starling B.B.E. custom XL geo based on a Roost, 65deg head angle specific for 120mm SID fork.
Rear shock - Rockshox deluxe thingy, wouldn't mind a TTX air...
Front shock/fork - 120mm SID Ultimate (gold SLIK treatment happening)
Handlebars - Thomson Ti trimmed to 780mm
Stem - Profile Racing Helm MTB 50mm
Headset - King Inset 7, matte black/gold, Tune carbon spacer kit
Grips - Supacaz Supalite Foamies
Saddle - Bjorn Setka * Will be Selle Italia SLR tanned leather
Seatpost - AXS * until Litespeed Ti rocks up
Front brake - Formula Cura4 Gold - RG CNC lever blades, Hope 180 rotors.
Rear brake - ditto..
Cranks - Profile Race 177mm, Ti bolts + spindle, 33t Imperial - the greatest ring ever milled..
Chainguide - no need bro
Chain - Izumi or Connex depending on ratio setup (reverse SS cogs, 13-17t depending on the time of day)
Pedals - Hope flats but keen to try some method of foot-pedal attachment in future
Front derailleur - gross
Rear derailleur - ewww
Front shifter - not since 2001
Rear shifter - how dare you...
Cassette - TLC - Waterfalls
Wheels - I.9 Trail 280 Carbon 32s, 12x142 SS rear, Rockshox extra torque thingos on the front.
Tyres - Panaracer Gravelking SK 700-50c for maximum "oh shit" moments
Tubes - Muc-Off jizz
Total weight - no super weeny, but not too bad. Changed every bolt to Ti with a J.A.B. black bolt kit, my favorite upgrade for fun tinkering..

Last edited:

fastrider gus

super huck
Ooh and I also bung'd on a king cage with some lush stainless Prototipo bolts, by far the nicest little touch you can put on your bike, check em out..
Lezyne 1300 headlight, Lizardskinz micro saddle bag, Dakine endurBro strap thingo too.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Frame - Starling B.B.E. custom XL geo based on a Roost, 65deg head angle specific for 120mm SID fork.
Rear shock - Rockshox deluxe thingy, wouldn't mind a TTX air...
Front shock/fork - 120mm SID Ultimate (gold SLIK treatment happening)
Handlebars - Thomson Ti trimmed to 780mm
Stem - Profile Racing Helm MTB 50mm
Headset - King Inset 7, matte black/gold, Tune carbon spacer kit
Grips - Supacaz Supalite Foamies
Saddle - Bjorn Setka * Will be Selle Italia SLR tanned leather
Seatpost - AXS * until Litespeed Ti rocks up
Front brake - Formula Cura4 Gold - RG CNC lever blades, Hope 180 rotors.
Rear brake - ditto..
Cranks - Profile Race 177mm, Ti bolts + spindle, 33t Imperial - the greatest ring ever milled..
Chainguide - no need bro
Chain - Izumi or Connex depending on ratio setup (reverse SS cogs, 13-17t depending on the time of day)
Pedals - Hope flats but keen to try some method of foot-pedal attachment in future
Front derailleur - gross
Rear derailleur - ewww
Front shifter - not since 2001
Rear shifter - how dare you...
Cassette - TLC - Waterfalls
Wheels - I.9 Trail 280 Carbon 32s, 12x142 SS rear, Rockshox extra torque thingos on the front.
Tyres - Panaracer Gravelking SK 700-50c for maximum "oh shit" moments
Tubes - Muc-Off jizz
Total weight - no super weeny, but not too bad. Changed every bolt to Ti with a J.A.B. black bolt kit, my favorite upgrade for fun tinkering..

I have no fucking idea what's going on with that bike. But I respect your commitment.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interesting build concept @fastrider gus

I'll be interested to hear how front cornering traction is on such a long & slack bike with so little tread. It will be phenomenally quick on straighter trails though!

fastrider gus

super huck
Interesting build concept @fastrider gus

I'll be interested to hear how front cornering traction is on such a long & slack bike with so little tread. It will be phenomenally quick on straighter trails though!
It's guaranteed to be very minimal
The tyres are temporary, got a box of different Michelins and Pirellis to switch between when I want to venture into the rough stuff.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
With a bit of a beefier fork up front it looks like a fun way to get to the shops, work, cafe, bar...

I like the not ridiculous angles on the seat and head tubes.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeeeeaa ok the gravelkings were a bit small..
I really liked the tread and the colour of the gumwall but they needed to be at least 2.3" to fit the bike properly.
Nice !

FWIW I have the Vittoria Syerra DWNCuNTY tyres, pretty impressive so far, good side grip and fast rolling centre.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Yeeeeaa ok the gravelkings were a bit small..
I really liked the tread and the colour of the gumwall but they needed to be at least 2.3" to fit the bike properly.

How do you account for chain growth given the location of the pivot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastrider gus

super huck
How do you account for chain growth given the location of the pivot?

It uses the profile crank spindle as the pivot. Super simple, super sturdy, zero chain growth. The dropouts run a rotating cam to tension the chain and you can take the wheel out without mucking around with the chain tension.

goobags

Likes Dirt
It uses the profile crank spindle as the pivot. Super simple, super sturdy, zero chain growth. The dropouts run a rotating cam to tension the chain and you can take the wheel out without mucking around with the chain tension.

Need a photo of that! Looks like the pivot is slightly higher and rearward of the BB.