Downhill world championships: Pick the winning time and win a prize

Flow-Rider

Burner
I made my way down the track from the rock garden during the men's , I thought there was a camera man at Mick's drop & another at the whoops section, both mobile not fixed. My eye's could have deceived me as there were quite a few guys about wearing 'uci' bibs.
I got down to the finish for the last 10 riders & the coverage on the big screen showed most of the run but both the above spots were not shown.
I was surprised when I saw the highlights footage of how crap the coverage was,No wonder the pinkbike forum has their panties in a twist if that's the coverage they saw.
I will say the camera doesn't show how steep most of the track is & how much commitment is required to hit the bigger gaps & faster lines at race pace.
I've ridden a few DH trails in my days and cameras never do justice for showing steepness. You can normally tell how steep trails are by how long and fast riders slide down when the come off the bike. Also the angles of the trees can give a good indication.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
i thought the coverage was piss weak.

Why no cameras at the whoops? I'd hazard a guess and say the mistakes crashes we didn't see were around the whoops section

No one wants to watch 30 seconds or so of pedaling, unghh. At least slap a go pro in the whoops section.

moorey

call me Mia
i thought the coverage was piss weak.

Why no cameras at the whoops? I'd hazard a guess and say the mistakes crashes we didn't see were around the whoops section

No one wants to watch 30 seconds or so of pedaling, unghh. At least slap a go pro in the whoops section.
I hate watching 60 seconds of a previous replay, while missing a run in progress :rant:

Beej1

Yeah the SBS coverage was godawful. I think there were about 5 or 6 sections of track shown for most riders, and all bar two were completely boring sections.

So gutted for Mick. So damn close.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Um, the coverage was pretty damn good I reckon. It would be a nightmare to set up any sort of coverage in areas like those trails where it's so think with trees and on a ridge. Count yourself lucky you got anything I say.

For what it's worth; Greg Minaar lost the world cup series and the world champs because of wheel failures. Let that be a lesson to your kids, don't put carbon wheels on your downhill bike!

As for the winning time, it was close between Ultra Lord and Odissius but Odissius was closer! He picked a time of 3.26.79 and the winning time was 3.26.56. I'll arrange some loot to send your way. ;)

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Um, the coverage was pretty damn good I reckon. It would be a nightmare to set up any sort of coverage in areas like those trails where it's so think with trees and on a ridge. Count yourself lucky you got anything I say.

For what it's worth; Greg Minaar lost the world cup series and the world champs because of wheel failures. Let that be a lesson to your kids, don't put carbon wheels on your downhill bike!

As for the winning time, it was close between Ultra Lord and Odissius but Odissius was closer! He picked a time of 3.26.79 and the winning time was 3.26.56. I'll arrange some loot to send your way. ;)
It was far from pretty damn good.

We only got to see like two, three good sections, rest of it was just the pedally bits.

Why can't they place gopros at the whoops or areas where filming is hard like they have been doing in the WC?

SBS are just lazy.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
For what it's worth; Greg Minaar lost the world cup series and the world champs because of wheel failures. Let that be a lesson to your kids, don't put carbon wheels on your downhill bike)
Was it a rim failure each time?

Just to stir shit, up until he when 29'er his rim/tyre reliability seemed pretty good, have they made the larger 29 tyres side walls or something to make them lighter?

Beej1

It would be a nightmare to set up any sort of coverage in areas like those trails where it's so think with trees and on a ridge. Count yourself lucky you got anything I say.
I agree, compared to the bike parks or more open tracks on the rest of the circuit ... it'd be a tough slog. No messing.

But still ... how long have they had to prepare for this one event? Wasn't it like 2013 they announced the 2014 and 2016 cup rounds and 2017 champs?... In 3 or 4 years they couldn't have done some reconnaissance to achieve some better coverage points? How long does it take to run a cable down a hill and clear a few spots to build some scaffolding stands for cameras?

I think i saw him state on social media that a spoke broke and went through his rim tape. My knowledge of wheel building is pretty poor - would wheel material have made a difference in this situation?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think i saw him state on social media that a spoke broke and went through his rim tape. My knowledge of wheel building is pretty poor - would wheel material have made a difference in this situation?
I read that too. He must be totally gutted.
I've not known a downhiller who runs carbon wheels to have them work flawlessly. I know a few EWS riders who run them and have smashed them, cracked them, even busted them in places that totally separates it from the adjoining material. This stuff isn't as common on alloy wheels and I can't see why you'd go for carbon if you aren't riding smooth trails just for fun.

Beej1

... I can't see why you'd go for carbon if you aren't riding smooth trails just for fun.
Stiffness, and a greater resistance to going out of true or something. That's what some owners tell me.

But if Enve are the benchmark (are they?), and what you could only assume is a brand new one suffers this kind of failure in what is its most important 3 and a half minutes of existence ... yeah, I don't see the point either.

If an alloy rim wouldn't have broken through into the air cavity, then surely at Enve HQ sometime around now a bunch of folk are sitting around a table discussing the fact that their product potentially cost a Worlds gold medal.

moorey

call me Mia
Stiffness, and a greater resistance to going out of true or something. That's what some owners tell me.

But if Enve are the benchmark (are they?), and what you could only assume is a brand new one suffers this kind of failure in what is its most important 3 and a half minutes of existence ... yeah, I don't see the point either.

If an alloy rim wouldn't have broken through into the air cavity, then surely at Enve HQ sometime around now a bunch of folk are sitting around a table discussing the fact that their product potentially cost a Worlds gold medal.
Both cup and champs. I'm nitpicking.