Drawer slides

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm kitting out the van and want to put a set of 1m drawer slides into it so I can make a platform/rack to slide the bikes in and out of the van. So at full extension they'll hold about 30kg. I'm going to fix the slides in place using aluminium angle bolted to the floor but am not sure how thick to use in the angle. Any engineers know if 3mm alu would be enough? These are the slides
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125kg-L...972622be7840d1b7d1f47e73332d5c&frcectupt=true

Jpez

Down on the left!
Why not steel? No engineer but I’ve fitted a lot of drawer slides.
I would imagine ally could flex. Could be wrong though if it’s an accepted method.

DMan

I would imagine ally could flex. Could be wrong though if it’s an accepted method.
Because I hadn't thought of steel for some reason.

DMan

What thickness steel were you using by the way?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve not u
What thickness steel were you using by the way?
Ive not used them in the same application as you but have played around with various steel and aluminium angle.
The 3mm al angle might well be fine but personally I’d want some steel in there.
3-5 mm steel would be fine. Go to you local steel yard and get your hands on some to have a feel.

DMan

Bunnings has cheaper heavy duty drawer slides rated for 90kg. Are they suitable?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/goliath-heavy-duty-drawer-slide-pair-500mm_p4020990
Thanks for that. I did see those but I really need lockable and at 90kg I wasn't sure what weight they'd take at full extension. Even the 125kg ones I bought are only rated to 50KG at full extension.
I’ve not u

Ive not used them in the same application as you but have played around with various steel and aluminium angle.
The 3mm al angle might well be fine but personally I’d want some steel in there.
3-5 mm steel would be fine. Go to you local steel yard and get your hands on some to have a feel.
I'm going to grab some 5mm from Bunnings