Dream Bike for the wife - Juliana Maverick - GOT IT!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I have built up several bikes for my wife and apart from the colours I cant see what is so special about women's specific bikes.
I just carefully assessed the frame geometry , put on the correct stem and everything is a bit lighter component wise.
Its not a dream bike if its a nightmare to buy it.
BTW I have bought 5 frames OS , used Shipito for one , Aust is mad I think the reps here get complacent.
I think the dream bike element is just that this is a vast improvement over her old 120mm travel alloy frame, fairly cheap component spec she had previously. It’s was a fun bike but not confidence inspiring. The Roubion is for all intents and purposes a Bronson. The spec was going to be a cream of the crop build but second hand. Now she is getting a Hightower/maverick with mid level but good quality build with all new parts.
With Juliana it’s the tune of the suspension that’s different, plus the colors are unique to the brand but not girly. The sage Roubion she loved. Plus there is also the feel good sisterhood feel to the brand. It’s kind of silly but it also works for some to feel included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
A lot of women don't want to be seen riding girlie colours these days either.
She hated the blandness of the new Roubion, loved the old one and also loved the previous gen pink Bronson which was anything but girly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
Went through similar story with a Santa Cruz frame set couple of months ago.
Told 4 week wait paid deposit to local bike shop waited...... 4 weeks later told another 2 weeks waited..... told another couple of weeks........ then told I was second in line when the next batch arrived with no firm timeframe WTF.
Poor LBS was getting screwed by lusty BS.
Had enough by now ordered one from the states had it 5 days later.
Funnily enough also looking for frameset for the mrs at the moment thought about the Bronson but not willing to put myself through that crap again trying to by local, if I do it I’ll def by direct fro the boys in the states.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
A Superlite on US ebay, the seller was most obliging and separated the rear from the rest of the frame making a smaller package so the postage wasnt much. Was in the days of < $1K.
Other was a 5010 new on super special from Competitive Cyclist who had to send it via Shipito due to restrictive trade practices and wouldnt separate the 2 parts so postage + import duties added up but only about 65% of Aus price all up.
You can get Shipito to repack stuff.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
How do you reckon you’ll go with warranty claims on those frames? Contact SC directly or go back to place of purchase?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Neither have broken or failed after 3-5 yrs cant remember how long. the superlite was v cheap due to a dent in the rear triangle. Seems OK I have thrashed it on rocky limestone descents in Spain + Morocco.
i would take it on the cheek and accept it as a risk. My wife and most women are careful.
In fact I havent seen too many broken SC frames , i think their design + quality control is very good.
Whereas virtually half the local Giants at one stage had to go back.
I realize that is the business model for some manufacturers .
Maybe I am gentle but in 30yrs only broke 2 duallie rear triangles.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Good feedback rowdy. I’m a bit of a SC fan myself, the killer warranty is very compelling considering the life your average mountain bike has to endure. I was just wondering whether they have the same geo-protectionist attitudes like the big S’s and would wipe you like a dirty arse to make more profit, or if their brand is more important and they don’t really mind where you bought their bike/frame when it comes to warranty. I had thought about buying frames from O/S, particularly when they’re on sale, but didn’t think it would be worth the hassle if I got a dud (which would be rare as you say).

Carbon Anthems... get used to disappointment I guess.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I suppose you could email SC and ask them.
Like I said I think SC are really well designed and the reports on the internet are positive about warranty claims.
Also I dont buy carbon because it is ecologically unsound as it is not recycled and much harder to repair.
Most breaks other than catastrophic hits are fatigue in crystallized welds esp rear triangles.
Always thought I would take the chance and get it properly repaired.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen 3 knock backs for SC frames here in Brisbane from well known shops, two of them were absolutely ridiculous. Two cracked rear triangles and worn pivot pins within a year of a brand new bike.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
That doesnt give you much faith in the local businesses or the distributor .
May as well import?
Depending on the age of the bike I would be very assertive.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
As much as we have to accept it, Giant really seems to be the gold standard for warranty.

Carving through local distributors is always going to be a headache. The SC support folks I've spoke have been very helpful though and top marks for them while I pestered them about their old stuff. They didn't flinch and seemed happy if anyone has an SC to ride.

I have my head in lions mouth having a used CF SC but that is the risk. Ride it till you can't ride it anymore and worry about it then :)

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
My issue with warranty is availability of a replacement. If you buy anything interesting chances of the distributor having a replacement in the country are pretty low.

I also prefer to deal with the manufacturer direct when it comes to warranty claims as the last thing I need is some kid in a bike shop with no skin in the game and generally a poor understanding of consumer, law acting on my behalf.

Of course there are the great outcomes from the lbs too.

Reactions: T.3

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My issue with warranty is availability of a replacement. If you buy anything interesting chances of the distributor having a replacement in the country are pretty low.
Had the same experience. I'm still awaiting to hear back from Lusty for contact I made a few months ago.

Regarding SC's, I did have success with Stu and Jonathon at Jungle Products in the UK. They were always keen to help and shipped bits n' pieces here quickly enough. The pricing wasn't too rude but I was after older unloved bits anyhow.
https://www.jungleproducts.co.uk/shop/cat/spare-parts-and-tools/9

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Fox did you end up local on the build?
Yeah localish, Drift bikes came through with the new 29” bike. Full build purchased with a few minor tweaks rather than frame only and full custom.

Got a buyer for all the 27.5 kit I had purchased ahead of the original frame arriving with a clean exchange of what I paid.

If the original plan had worked out we were going to end up with a full bike with new CC frame and second hand parts to an 11spd XTR spec (RRP 13.5k new) for around 8k.

Now it’s a complete build GX spec for around 8.5k at RRP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk