Dream Bike for the wife - Juliana Maverick - GOT IT!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Had a quote for a frame/fork.
Paid a deposit.
Was told it would be 2 weeks.
One month later I'm told there's no stock available for another month and that the quote was 50% under (based on old pricing), plus the exchange rate had dropped and I could no longer get the original price....
comical but true, niner? to be honest even had problems with giant, have one of their computers, needed extra mount...local shop told me the one i was looking at might be jan/feb.....well then why the F did you not use the garmin standard, but widen yours by 1.5mm to just F with end users

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Bronson??
Edit: doesn't the Roubion come in two colours: Gray/Mint and Sage/Orange?
It did, but there are only aluminum frames left and the wrong size.

New colour production line is under way but AU stock not available until late September.
She really hates the colour. With the level of build happening this will be a one off buy and last her for 10+ years so it has to be right.

Bronson is also out of stock here in frame only. Same wait for new bikes.

Maverick is a great option but the issue is wheels and fork.
Have a set of reserve 30’s and a fox 36 factory but both are 27.5”

UK shop can get it but I’m facing £3299 (not sure if VAT is deducted) plus £215 to ship it out. Import duty will likely apply. Then there are issues regarding warranty I suppose.

Frame was supposed to be $5250 landed here through LBS.
UK option comes to $6250 if VAT applies and excludes any import duty.

I could get her the Maverick as a full mid level build for $8200 (mid August delivery) and then sell the 27.5 fork and wheel set I had gotten and recoup some costs. But she won’t have the Top level build I sold her on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Have you looked at the SC dealers in NZ? Some of the Juliana team riders/ambassadors are based there and every time I go over I see heaps of them.

If you find one, fly over have a weekend riding and bring it back.
Yeah apparently Lusty already put in the request but no dice. That frame colour was very popular.... the new one not so much.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sucks so much.

I basically ruled out Juliana due to the service. Was also happy to wait but essentially it was all to hard. This is why we shop online and not locally most of the time. The service is shithouse... Its not just the price gouge...

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you try a shipto from competitive cyclist or the like in the us? US pricing seems to be a lot sharper than anywhere else...

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Have you looked at the SC dealers in NZ? Some of the Juliana team riders/ambassadors are based there and every time I go over I see heaps of them.

If you find one, fly over have a weekend riding and bring it back.
Thanks, I just had a email convo with the guy who runs Juliana/SC in NZ. They are also out, but he reckons going for the Maverick is the best move. The majority of the team riders are moving to it and the feedback is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Sucks so much.

I basically ruled out Juliana due to the service. Was also happy to wait but essentially it was all to hard. This is why we shop online and not locally most of the time. The service is shithouse... Its not just the price gouge...
I think Lusty has gotten the message, it appears they are bringing the entire women’s line in this season and will have them in stock instead of ordering in per customer.

Did you try a shipto from competitive cyclist or the like in the us? US pricing seems to be a lot sharper than anywhere else...
I had a look, no medium sizes. Competitive have a medium c but it’s a full build not frame only. SC UK have what we want but still waiting to hear full damage.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Well, In a good turn of events. I listed all the groupset, wheels and fork on Various FB trading groups and got heaps of hits for individual items. Was looking like I could have done a Chops and flipped it all for a bit extra. However I got contacted by a local guy who’s mate needed it all. So it’s a clean exchange, I’ve gotten back what I paid which will go into purchasing a complete GX Build C frame Juliana Maverick.

I still have a few leftovers though. A bikeyoke Revive post to swap over with the reverb that comes with the complete.

Also contemplating keeping the Lyric 150mm fork for a bit. I was going to spec a 160 but I don’t think she will need it just yet. Get used to the standard spec and then go from there.

The dream may have changed but at least it hasn’t become my nightmare.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nice work dumping the parts without penalty. Are you still on the LT @foxpuppet? Going to be tempted to ride the wife’s HT2 or will it be a bit on the small side for you to take out for sneaky liaisons?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Nice work dumping the parts without penalty. Are you still on the LT @foxpuppet? Going to be tempted to ride the wife’s HT2 or will it be a bit on the small side for you to take out for sneaky liaisons?
Yeah, I was looking forward to the Roubion for occasional smaller wheel blasts. I set a few PRs on her 26” Safire with 120mm travel
But the new Hightower also looks pretty cool. I never rode the OG Hightower, only my LT so interested to see what the new one is like. I ride a large and hers will be medium. So might be fun for jumps and bike park type stuff.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have built up several bikes for my wife and apart from the colours I cant see what is so special about women's specific bikes.
I just carefully assessed the frame geometry , put on the correct stem and everything is a bit lighter component wise.
Its not a dream bike if its a nightmare to buy it.
BTW I have bought 5 frames OS , used Shipito for one , Aust is mad I think the reps here get complacent.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have built up several bikes for my wife and apart from the colours I cant see what is so special about women's specific bikes.
I just carefully assessed the frame geometry , put on the correct stem and everything is a bit lighter component wise.
Its not a dream bike if its a nightmare to buy it.
BTW I have bought 5 frames OS , used Shipito for one , Aust is mad I think the reps here get complacent.
A lot of women don't want to be seen riding girlie colours these days either.

Last edited: