Dream Bike Shop - HELP

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I would take the opinions from RB with a grain of salt. We are online because we are passionate about researching bikes/parts. The only things I buy from shops are brake cables, kids bikes/parts. The people that I believe would spend more money in store are those that can't be bothered spending the time online.

For me, range of parts is not important, just have the most popular/value items for each category. Just look at CRCs most popular items. Have some narrow wide rings, 661 protection, Maxxis tyres, tubeless goop, cables/chains, 5ten shoes, a few derailleurs and hangers, helmets, gloves, shorts. The stuff that people want to try on for size, or are likely to need in a hurry. Everything else they will probably buy online anyway. I would love a shop that only sold frames and build them up as required. STOCK BANSHEE bikes! I'm biased, but this brand is very hot at the moment and are great value. Experts at suspension tuning and servicing would be attractive.

Passionate staff are the key. And make it really cool, a place that is fun to visit and is near the trails would be great. Thinking COG Bike Cafe in Warburton, The Corner Store in Forrest, Vertigo Bikes in Queenstown. Oh and VicMtb was amazing back in the day, if you ever got to go there.

markgab

Likes Dirt
If a bikeshops too posh, i personally wouldnt want to enter lol
Feels inferior! Even though ive got $ to spend.
Just what i feel =x
Moderation is best!

Prefers a more homely/friendly LBS.

Be reasonable with servicing :)
Once i saw a guy who brought in a piece of s##t to an LBS bought from ebay (1990's bike)
He walked out with a $180 service bill LOL way more than what the bike is worth.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
30 months in and I think we are doing ok!

Theres lots of cool ideas in this thread. I insert Random Chaos below.

Service is everything- but I would be lying if I said it doesn't drain you.
Sales are next- the till has got to cha ching
Staff will do your head in
Work/Life balance is impossible
Make your money on the low end. High end brings the low end in.
BE CREATIVE
Give all reps a hard time
You can never have too much 'cheap shit' said one of my old bosses. He was right.
Location is more important than you think. Road works cut one end of our street, business dropped the day the road closed
Don't be a business owner wanker running around to business owner mates all day being a player livin it up
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE including parts on bikes on the floor
Rent sucks - TAX sucks. Find a good bookkeeper.
It does consume you. Have fun with it.
Yes Yes and yes
Make your money on the low end. High end brings the low end in.

This one is right but I think of it differently The lower end people are your life line bread and butter, you don't want to loose these people they give you turn over even though you may not make a lot of $ from them but they give your pull with buying stock and parts from suppliers. If you establish good relations with these clients they bring in Aunties or Uncles or what ever that have a bit cash to burn where you can sell them anything and everything they need. They reckon you only make good profit from 30% of your clients but you have to look after the others to get a well established name. The high end stuff is everyone's dream but unfortunately a lot of people can only look at. Everything you have said is right even about the tax man My saying is " where money is to be found the GOLDEN EAGLE swoops."

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Prefers a more homely/friendly LBS.

Be reasonable with servicing :)
Once i saw a guy who brought in a piece of s##t to an LBS bought from ebay (1990's bike)
He walked out with a $180 service bill LOL way more than what the bike is worth.....
yes to first! should have added that to my dream list. As to the second, servicing costs what it costs... place I work sees a lot of junkers, and we make them roll again. But parts are not cheaper because the bike is cheap. We have a flat rate basic service fee, which is about right in terms of time to do a proper service for a bike which is reasonably looked after. On old junkers we lose money because it takes a lot more time to do the work - but it would be unjustified to charge more.

Also, everything j5ive said.

And Joel - any clues? :)