Dream Bike Shop - HELP

stirk

Burner
Good luck will be required as people tend to hire similar personalities and attitudes to themselves.

You'd walk into the shop, browse around then get flamed for daring to walk in the door even after being invited inside in the first place!!

Relax ando, people are being both helpful and funny cause that's what this place is about.

Flow-Rider

Burner
As someone who used to be in the retail management game I can tell you only one thing......employ staff that have PEOPLE SKILLS and who PUT THE CUSTOMER FIRST. I couldn't care less how knowledgable you are about a certain product - anyone can learn that, it takes bugger all effort to know what the spec list is or what is compatible etc.....The average LBS fucks this up constantly. They fill their shops with people who love riding and hate people. The end result is that your customers feel intimidated or stupid and if they don't feel stupid they think the shop is full of douchebags and never go back in. Online shopping for most people is easy and cheap - your LBS must have exceptional customer service to counter this. Nothing else can. You can't offer the range, the prices, the opening hours etc. so you must offer the service, to every customer, every time. You're only as good as your weakest employee so make sure you train them! Good luck - you'll most likely need it.
How can they put the customer first if they have no idea on what they are selling? I see this everyday you get the money off the customer in the initial part and they will never come back or recommend the business. Knowing about the specs of an item and knowing how well it works are two different things. I agree that you can't have any aggressive personalities in sales but you need to have people that know their products. I would never own a business that is structured quantity over quality you will get more headaches than you need.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
I love all the comments about 10%-15% dearer than online - ffs that's the GST they have to charge.

To be fair to the LBS you'd have to be willing to pay 20-25% more at a minimum to level the playing field.

Wiggle/CRC/PricePoint etc are effectively the distributors - so their prices are essentially wholesale direct to the public.

beardi

Likes Dirt
How can they put the customer first if they have no idea on what they are selling? I see this everyday you get the money off the customer in the initial part and they will never come back or recommend the business. Knowing about the specs of an item and knowing how well it works are two different things. I agree that you can't have any aggressive personalities in sales but you need to have people that know their products. I would never own a business that is structured quantity over quality you will get more headaches than you need.
I agree it is very important BUT the average customer is bamboozled by people who know too much. My point is that you need to know your stuff but it's not as critical as customer service. Highly knowledgable people off rotorburn are probably 1% of the customer base and are hardly keeping LBS's afloat.

My main point was that you can teach and learn technical knowhow and the like - knowing how to deal with people is 1000% harder to teach and you're buggered if you don't have it

DJR

Likes Dirt
I have to say that in Hobart it will be a little hard as the disposable income of the average joe is not the same as the mainland and there is already a few bike shops.

How about something like

Do proper bike demos - if you don't want to hand them out for a day or two then run a hire scheme or run demo days
Have a good backing of consumables and parts
Be happy when a customer just wants you to fit particular part they bought online and don't enter into self defeating brinkmanship about it
If you advertise a price online then do it in the store also
Pick a couple of bike brands and stick with them
Have a good range of accessories
Club discounts
Get involved and tell your clientele about trail build days, give back to the community that supports you
Make good coffee
Do good workshop work
Don't alienate the beginner riders who will provide your sales volume base

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have to say that in Hobart it will be a little hard as the disposable income of the average joe is not the same as the mainland and there is already a few bike shops.

How about something like

Be happy when a customer just wants you to fit particular part they bought online and don't enter into self defeating brinkmanship about it
If you advertise a price online then do it in the store also
These two points.

Abbotsford cycles in Richmond, VIC does a lot of fitting of parts bought online. I have walked in there on occasion and seen whole bikes bought in parts from online (eg TIME frame and sram red etc - they don't sell those at the shop) put together. It's easy money. don't whinge about it. if they like the job you did they will use your mechanics for their next assembly job and tell their mates as well.

Point two. if you offer the price online, offer it in store. Easy. Again, don't bitch about it. I have had shops hum and har about giving me THEIR OWN online price instore, and it gives me the absolute shits. These are not Wiggle/CRC prices either, they already have Australia tax built in.

Also - Run a Shop ride on local trails. If you run a good enjoyable shop ride - there is a potential loyal customer base for you.

Beej1

My main point was that you can teach and learn technical knowhow and the like - knowing how to deal with people is 1000% harder to teach and you're buggered if you don't have it

Absolutely. I would almost go so far as to say it can't be taught at all: you're either a people person or you're pretending to be a people person.

Personally, I rarely find someone who has the combination beardi speaks of these days. I've certainly never seen it in a bike shop in Australia. Saw it in most bike shops in the US though (but there were still a few tools, funnily - the biggest was in Whistler, and he was an Aussie).

I'd love to work in a bike shop. I feel like I've got literally thousands of specs in my head and I can pretty much remember everything I read, and I read a shitload about bikes.

But people suck .... why would I want to talk to them.

(^ not a people person)

Flow-Rider

Burner
In business you will find that you will come across lots of different types of people or personas one model of selling will not suit every client. Its up to the sales person to be able to read the client with out offending them. Some clients want to know everything about the product some couldn't care less. A lot of problems arise from the wrong product being sold initially and some sales people are that focussed on selling that they don't care. I see it all the time sales isn't for everyone. Bike shops are cut throat businesses there is almost one on every corner these days and you need some type of leading edge to do well in one.

Last edited:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I work in retail in a moto shop.... Have done for 20 years.

Customer walks in and asks for product X.

I don't have product X in stock but I call supplier while customer is in store and confirm availability, price, shipping cost and lead time. A total of a 60second conversation.

Me : Mr/Ms customer, I can have that in an airbag for $75 or you can wait for a stock order which comes in a week for $60. It's $15 for the airbag but you would probably have the part in 48hours or so.

Customer makes decision. I enact customers request. Call customer when part arrives.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH BICYCLE STORES AUSTRALIA WIDE THAT THIS IS UNACHIEVABLE FOR 99% OF THEM

The difference between online stores and brick'n'motor stores.... Online stores give you the product you pay for.

In answer to the OP's original request. Employ staff that enact on customer orders or sack them and move on. Any money in your till is better than no money in your till.

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH BICYCLE STORES AUSTRALIA WIDE THAT THIS IS UNACHIEVABLE FOR 99% OF THEM
I'd hazard a guess that a fair chunk of that is the distro in aus. A lot are sideline enterprises at best, some just a hobby...

ando120

Likes Dirt
Haha wasn't being arrogant or having a go people, just don't want to look down the path of if things are possible or not. I know that you have to look at your market to see if an idea would work but most times its a risk. But all seriousness, i just wanted some ideas and that's it and i congratulate you all on doing so well, thank you.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Just give a shit about the sport and the people walking in your door and you'll make return business off every one of them.

I would also advise having some sort of reliable system for you to keep track of orders. The biggest failing of my local bike stores is when I've ordered something and they have completely forgotten about it, I've had to chase them up repeatedly, even after the product has arrived they haven't thought to ring and let me know. I'm not real crash hot with computers, but if you don't have the memory of an elephant I'd advise something in place to keep track of orders.

Ideally would be:
Ring or walk into store, ask for part.
You ring, order part, inform customer of eta.
Several days out from eta, find product and figure out if the eta still holds true.
Ring customer and tell them if the product will be late or on time.
Ring when product arrives.
Happy customer, I'll be back.

I'm not bothered if the item is late or if there is problems because we live in the real world, but a lack of communication sends me off the deep end.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
My dream bike shop to work in/visit/buy from:
- is small
- has one or maybe two workers who both have a cash interest in the business (ie no 'employees'), and most importantly both ride the shit out of bikes because they love to!
- doesn't sell bikes that the workers have not ridden.
- has a great barista on one side and a great bar on the other side.
- is next to awesome trails/road rides.
- doesn't insist on having every.single.bike.in.the.world.on.the.floor.right.now, just well targeted ones (see point on customer data below)
- ditto for clothes and accessories. Can't compete with the Pushy's (in Canberra) of the world, so don't bother.
- has a decked out workshop.
- is open four days a week, uses the fifth to go ride, and makes demo bikes available on the ride day.
- is not wedded to a single supplier, and works closely with suppliers it does use
- develops a great relationship with a physio/yoga teacher/wellness coach, for fitting bikes/helping riders ride better.
- gives zero fucks about where parts come from if customers turn up wanting them fitted, and helps customers get a hold of things if local importers are out of stock or can't give a lead time estimate.
- keeps customer purchasing and servicing data so that needs can be anticipated.
- is happy!!

MARKL

Eats Squid
Simply a shop that acknowledges that the retail world is changing, sets up a business to suit and doesn't cry that I should be treating his business as a charity.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'm beginning to think that Ando might have something to do with a Financial War...

If not then I'd suggest that you don't lose sight of the fact that most LBS customers are not the people that one finds here on Rotorburn and any effort that forgets that is totally doomed.

stirk

Burner
I'm beginning to think that Ando might have something to do with a Financial War...

If not then I'd suggest that you don't lose sight of the fact that most LBS customers are not the people that one finds here on Rotorburn and any effort that forgets that is totally doomed.
Put the tin foil back on mate.

I think the original question asked of this forum is perfectly directed at people who can provide very good input into what would make a successful LBS due to the fact most of us don't frequent a LBS because of their failings.

financialwar, intense1 only wanted to amuse themselves.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
10703598_571796892927022_2650037021265445575_n.jpg
30 months in and I think we are doing ok!

Theres lots of cool ideas in this thread. I insert Random Chaos below.

Service is everything- but I would be lying if I said it doesn't drain you.
Sales are next- the till has got to cha ching
Staff will do your head in
Work/Life balance is impossible
Make your money on the low end. High end brings the low end in.
BE CREATIVE
Give all reps a hard time
You can never have too much 'cheap shit' said one of my old bosses. He was right.
Location is more important than you think. Road works cut one end of our street, business dropped the day the road closed
Don't be a business owner wanker running around to business owner mates all day being a player livin it up
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE including parts on bikes on the floor
Rent sucks - TAX sucks. Find a good bookkeeper.
It does consume you. Have fun with it.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=597267000380011&set=vb.232707073502674&type=3&theater

Last edited:

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
J5ive, does that wicker basket come in carbon..........:behindsofa:
Do you work 7 days a week or do you have a day off to go riding, or
just get away from bikes?
a lot of people turn their hobbies/pastimes into a business, only to
have it totally do their head in. ......
Good to see you make a go of it. .......
and still have your head intact

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
My dream bike shop to work in/visit/buy from:
- is small
- has one or maybe two workers who both have a cash interest in the business (ie no 'employees'), and most importantly both ride the shit out of bikes because they love to!
- doesn't sell bikes that the workers have not ridden.
- has a great barista on one side and a great bar on the other side.
- is next to awesome trails/road rides.
- doesn't insist on having every.single.bike.in.the.world.on.the.floor.right.now, just well targeted ones (see point on customer data below)
- ditto for clothes and accessories. Can't compete with the Pushy's (in Canberra) of the world, so don't bother.
- has a decked out workshop.
- is open four days a week, uses the fifth to go ride, and makes demo bikes available on the ride day.
- is not wedded to a single supplier, and works closely with suppliers it does use
- develops a great relationship with a physio/yoga teacher/wellness coach, for fitting bikes/helping riders ride better.
- gives zero fucks about where parts come from if customers turn up wanting them fitted, and helps customers get a hold of things if local importers are out of stock or can't give a lead time estimate.
- keeps customer purchasing and servicing data so that needs can be anticipated.
- is happy!!
There is something very much like that in Canberra, fortunately for you.

- Joel