Drifting it properly

Doggy

Inconceivable!
As the title suggests, how does one drift through a corner without losing too much speed and maintaining control.
I can drift through corners alright at the moment but I always feel like Im about to just slide out completely and lose it. I starting to get the hang of it more now as in Im not putting my foot out to save it as often but I cant help but feel Im missing something. I come around corner, lock the back wheel to get it into a slide then let the brake off and kept it sliding through the corner....or at least thats what I think I do.
Any hints or is that about right??:confused:

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
are you trying to drift out or are you trying to get through the corner with the most speed??

cause for the most spee you shouldn't be touchging your breaks... if you go in with enough speed and hammer your bike around strioongly enough without your breaks the back will come out... much fastwr than skidding around it :p

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I come around corner, lock the back wheel to get it into a slide then let the brake off and kept it sliding through the corner....or at least thats what I think I do.
Any hints or is that about right??:confused:

Don't lock the back brake. Get it sliding without touching the brake.

Drifting is not skidding

Last edited:

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drifting is when you have so much speed and there is a tightish cornor that you would have to brake for unless you knew how to drift. It just means you dont use the brake on a cornor. Speed is the key to it IMO
Weight forward
putting your foot out often helps get your weight forward as well as is a good way of keeping you stable if you slip to far.
stay off the brakes

Doggy

Inconceivable!
rightio then....stay off brakes, go careering into corner, slide out, hold on, foot out...hope for best.
crash...try again till I stick it:D

Sounds easy enough then. I have only really used the brake just to start the slide, as soon as it starts to hook out Im off the brake. No brake next time huh, sounds simple enough......I could be in a world of hurt next time I try this, if I f**k up that is as our DH track is full of lantana:eek:

Stone67

Likes Dirt
I would be practicing somewhere nice and open with nothing to hit if you stuff it up, then when you gain confidence you can try it somewhere more challanging

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
find some nice flat corners that maybe have a little bit of berm backup and practice hitting them over and over, blast in and figure it out, it's the best way...

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The two posts abore are great ideas
I find carparks or alike are the best for practising...
If your really desperate to drift when you start turning crash ur hips to the outside of the cornor like your doing a whip except on the ground.
Thats not proper technique though

Archi

Likes Dirt
Foot out, flat out.
you dont necessarily need your foot out to drift, nor going flat out.

its mainly about entering the corner correctly, adjusting your weight and maintaining control. also, there should be no need to lock up the rear wheel

i reckon just practice on a corner you feel comfortable with first, so you know how it feels to have the wheels sliding, then find other corners to practice your skills on... youll be the next sam hill :)

Plow King

Little bit.
you dont necessarily need your foot out to drift, nor going flat out.
True. But your not going to get a drift going if your not going fast (terrain pending)

And having a foot out does help with your confidence, just dont hit rocks. :rolleyes:

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
find some nice flat corners that maybe have a little bit of berm backup and practice hitting them over and over, blast in and figure it out, it's the best way...
Flat corners are the best practice for drifting. I have been practicing them heaps lately. Just keep hitting it faster, and faster each time. Start with your foot right out there, and go from there.

lockstock

Likes Bikes
The foot out flat out approach is what you're after, by taking your foot off and putting it out slightly forward of the BB takes the weight off the back wheel making it easier to get drifting, especially if you try and turn your body aswell. But really drifting isn't something you should try and do it just happens when you're pushing the limits of grip.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
All points are appreciated guys. I dont think Sam will have to worry, Im probably older then him anyways:D.
I'd always managed to do it when Im not expecting it...hence either slowing or pulling up, one of our downhillish tracks has a wide open gravel/sand firetrail which has quite a few driftable corners to practice on so that shouldnt be a problem

Just go as fast as you can..... dont touch the breaks and just throw your bike into the corner...... IT helps if you try an avoid the tree's aswell.....

While drifitng does look cool it is not the fastest way round a corner.....
if your looking for speed just stay as upright as possible and try an keep both wheels in line for as long as possible.....

Cheers....