Drivetrain noise - what to check first

Scotty675

Cable thief
I can have a look at it tomorrow if you like, I'm in berriedale. I'm no mechanic but I have a selection of hammers.

I have a bloke coming to look at a set of wheels I put on Gumtree so I no I'm going to waste a day. Flick me a message if keen. Might be able to get a pedal in at talosa street to test.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I can have a look at it tomorrow if you like, I'm in berriedale. I'm no mechanic but I have a selection of hammers.

I have a bloke coming to look at a set of wheels I put on Gumtree so I no I'm going to waste a day. Flick me a message if keen. Might be able to get a pedal in at talosa street to test.
Cheers mate that's a really generous offer and much appreciated.

Will be getting dragged around by the kids tomorrow so unfortunately won't have a chance to get out.

Will be sticking a spare wheel in it tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Will at least narrow the noise down.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I'm daddy day care for half a day tomorrow myself. If you get stuck let me know. I can take the bike one night and have a tinker if it gets the better of you. I don't mind a bit of tinker time from time to time for a break ha ha

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@nathanm does the cassette / freehub have any lateral play ie. can you wobble it on the axle? Shagged bearings in the hub could be a source of noise under load and make it feel sluggish. Swapping in that spare wheel will help in any case.

nathanm

Eats Squid
@nathanm does the cassette / freehub have any lateral play ie. can you wobble it on the axle? Shagged bearings in the hub could be a source of noise under load and make it feel sluggish. Swapping in that spare wheel will help in any case.
Nope everything is tight. Have just cleaned and greased jockey wheel. One has a small crack but otherwise running smooth. Greased axle as well and that's made a big difference to smoothness

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Nope everything is tight. Have just cleaned and greased jockey wheel. One has a small crack but otherwise running smooth. Greased axle as well and that's made a big difference to smoothness
where’s the goddamn photo of the RD chain routing ... we live in hope