Drivetrain noise - what to check first

nathanm

Eats Squid
Short ride with the stepson today and the old stumpy had a mechanical drivetrain noise from the get go.
Thought initially the frame had cracked but no evidence of such and the "creaking" is only evident when pedalling across all the years and is shifting and riding perfectly.
The Freehub thread is dodgy so I don't want to pull the cassette off unnecessarily.

What would be the checklist to investigate?

moorey

call me Mia
Jebus, where to start? Could be as simple as chain routed through Derailleur wrong, worn chain, cassette or ring, Check those first.

Has it just come? Or is it a new build with old parts?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If there is no creak when coasting I check the cranks are secured properly then chain rings, then the i give the Bottom bracket some attention by cleaning and re greasing.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Jebus, where to start? Could be as simple as chain routed through Derailleur wrong, worn chain, cassette or ring, Check those first.

Has it just come? Or is it a new build with old parts?
Has just come out of the blue, was just riding along when

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All the spots where aluminium and steel meet, starting with the pedal threads, BB/crank interface, BB cups, seatpost/seat rails. Try to narrow it down by loading up drivetrain without hands on bars.
Stuff like that should unearth the noise gremlin.

nathanm

Eats Squid
You said ‘from the get go’. Nothing at all changed?
Nope put the bike away last ride, get it out for this one and she's all creaky in, what sounds like, the cassette region.

Just didn't want to do a full strip down when I may be missing something simple.

T-Rex

Template denier
It’s a process of elimination to track down the noise. EG is it the same noise sitting vs standing? You might think the noise is coming from the cassette but it could be the seat post. Then try putting power down through only one pedal, then the other. It could be a pedal spindle. Chainring bolts, pivot bearings, free hub, like @moorey said it’s a long list you need to work through

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pedal axles first! Get the pedal body off and it's almost a guarantee that the problem is on there.

Or

Pedal stubs, pedal axles end cap, seat post, seat clamp, seat collar, (if dual suspension stumpy) suspension pivots + shock bolts, derailer hanger etc, wheel axles, crank arms, stem + hesdset, bottom bracket, and then you come to the cassette...then the servicing. That's roughly in order of easy check to messy check. Could be the du bushings in your shock. Even spoke tension. The real answer is it's time for a new bike. Have you considered a 32 inch supreme boost option?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Poodle’s answer is rather limited I feel.

One new bike? Really? This economy isn’t going to correct itself I’ll have you know poodlemeister. Two new ones bikes is always the answer, so when the first one makes noise, you move onto the second and rebuild the first

Back on topic, what’s wrong with the cassette? This needs further investigation and explanation.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
last ride wet? my chain is fine while wet if i ride it in the rain but if it needed a bit of a lube it can surface rust so much between rides the next one sounds like i've snapped a rim and all my spokes are detensioning... godawful, but highly effective, chain lube reminder.

all the things like creaky pedals, bbs etc often (not always mind) show up at least a bit without pedalling, just shifting your weight while standing up. chain/cassette only under power (or sometimes backpedalling)

but

The Freehub thread is dodgy so I don't want to pull the cassette off unnecessarily.
strongly suggests your cassette lockring is loose and your sprockets are wandering on the freehub body.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Poodle’s answer is rather limited I feel.

One new bike? Really? This economy isn’t going to correct itself I’ll have you know poodlemeister. Two new ones bikes is always the answer, so when the first one makes noise, you move onto the second and rebuild the first

Back on topic, what’s wrong with the cassette? This needs further investigation and explanation.

Rebuild? Fuck me you are too lazy to even go out an buy a new bike. #shame

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope put the bike away last ride, get it out for this one and she's all creaky in, what sounds like, the cassette region.

Just didn't want to do a full strip down when I may be missing something simple.
To avoid full strip down just buy headphones and ride with heavy metal shred music until new bike is purchased:p

moorey

call me Mia
What drivertrain? If SRAM Derailleur with NW jockeys, and you’ve removed wheel, you could have put it back in with the chain on the wrong tooth profile.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thru-axle, cassette/freehub interface are what I would be checking for rear creaks. Mate had what sounds like a similar noise that ended up just being the thruaxle not being tight enough.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
surely this is number 1 on the list, spray cassette from back end with white lithium grease (or mr sheen ..my new do it all super boost 145mm SS wonder magic spray) & see if noises is still there