Dropper post - Thoughts on KS Lev,? Any better options?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bike Yoke is a non IFP design, which is claimed to handle the dreaded Aeration of oil and randomly percolating air into the wrong chamber of death ... coupled with their air bleed valve the combination should be solid. Note, I haven't spent any time on one.
Touch wood no problems here yet with my E-Ten or KS Lev DX's. One thing that I never do is release a compressed dropper on it's side.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone hates on the Reverb but noone will give me one a broken one, or even one that needs a service for <$200. Maybe consider one of them :noidea:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Everyone hates on the Reverb but noone will give me one a broken one, or even one that needs a service for <$200. Maybe consider one of them :noidea:
Maybe that's cause they are stockpiling, hoping to cobble together one that will function for a month from four dead ones they have sitting around.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm about to send the sons 30.9, 125mm drop stealth in for a service/rebuild..... It's starting to drop 15-20mm under load..... Otherwise excellent condition. I could be tempted to part with said reverb that I have no love for, to put money towards a ks....

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have one with a scratched stanchion and needs a seal head oring and/or service that I would be tempted to part with pretty cheaply.
Send a PM if interested.

If you go KS, get the cheaper "SI" version which is only $350 and basically the same apart from being ~50g heavier and having a plastic rather than alloy remote (you'd want to use a Spesh or Wolf Tooth lever anyway). Can't beat that sort of quality for the price.
Isn't the SI version internal routing only?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Isn't the SI version internal routing only?
Not sure, I've not had a need for external.

Giant make a post that's $270 and can be converted from internal to external (is set up as external when you buy them). Good concept, I wasn't too fond of mine, but perhaps it was an isolated incident. Might work OK with a decent remote lever.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been using a KS LEV since late 2013. It was serviced once after 2 years of solid, daily use.
Been going strong since.
Buy it!
The ir950 which i sent to Al for service was full of crap. cartridge pretty stuffed and bushings swollen to the point of a hammer was required to remove them.. It had not been properly serviced in 7 years... Still 'just" continued to function. It has just been returned with new cart and all replaced and I expect another 7 years between services..

sorry about the size of the pic

20170717_144220_resized.jpg

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike Yoke Revive. I have 2 and so far they have been great. The fact you can release air which over time enters the damper made the choice for me over the Lev.

KS are good and their backup service in Oz is fantastic so if you get a Lev, buy it locally. My Mrs and I have had 4 KS posts (3 x dropzones and a Cruxi) 1 dropzone was spongy out of the box and the Cruxi needed a new cartridge after 2 months. The other 2 have been faultless. As I purchased these from O/S I had no local warranty; however Link Sports sorted me out quickly.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
How much of an upgrade is the dropzone over the eten? And how is dropzone different to super natural?

Want an external dropper for the hardtail

moorey

call me Mia
How much of an upgrade is the dropzone over the eten? And how is dropzone different to super natural?

Want an external dropper for the hardtail
Externally....Supernatural is non offset and 2 bolt clamp. Dropzone and ETen are setback and single bolt...and ETen is 100mm (with a different cartridge from memory)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ah right, well I think I want the 20 mm offset.

You can also get the Dropzone in 100mm (which is fine for this bike), so its more a case of if its worth spending the extra $s for the dropzone over the eten.

moorey

call me Mia
Ah right, well I think I want the 20 mm offset.

You can also get the Dropzone in 100mm (which is fine for this bike), so its more a case of if its worth spending the extra $s for the dropzone over the eten.
I believe that the dropzone and supernatural cartridge are same, and meant to be better quality than ETen cartridge......which are still meant to be really good. Only got the one ETen, and it's been faultless.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Never had a KS but have had my Reverb (Black collar) on my bike for over four years now without issue. Never been serviced, never needed bleeding.....just works.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike Yoke Revive. I have 2 and so far they have been great. The fact you can release air which over time enters the damper made the choice for me over the Lev.

KS are good and their backup service in Oz is fantastic so if you get a Lev, buy it locally. My Mrs and I have had 4 KS posts (3 x dropzones and a Cruxi) 1 dropzone was spongy out of the box and the Cruxi needed a new cartridge after 2 months. The other 2 have been faultless. As I purchased these from O/S I had no local warranty; however Link Sports sorted me out quickly.
The bike yoke looks great and well priced. Quick question in regards to the saddle clamp design/construction. Does it look fairly robust/built strong?
Reason for asking is the I have a ks lev integra, the slender saddle clamp design and my 96kgs don't get along at all.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Another option is the brandx ascend on chain reaction. I just got one and am happy with the quality and weight. Reports on longevity are good so far and with a 2 year warranty you can't really go wrong. You could even get one for $160 with the voucher code that's doing the rounds...