Drug kid in Bali.....

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
If people want drug use cleaned up, heavy penalties on users won't help too much. Instead, put the heavy penalties on the dealers/suppliers/mules.

Jailing a 14 year old kid for something like this is ridiculous. This guy would have been 8 when the schapelle corby event occurred, so hardly old enough to actually take notice of fairly minor international news. He was dumb and definitely a kid with problems, but that doesn't warrant jail term.

Finally, what will jailing him achieve? He will be out in 6 years, a messed up 20 year old with no idea how to exist in normal society. Parents/teachers/sports coaches etc were just about enough to keep me on track sensibly as a teenager. Prison wardens and criminals won't provide any useful moral guidance to this kid. All he will learn is how to not be noticed by people stronger than him and how to take from people weaker than him. Indonesian prisons are violent places. He'll then come back to Australia, uneducated and basically screwed for a large portion of his life.

But I guess he'll have learnt not to buy weed...

dcrofty

Eats Squid
fark just decriminalise, put about a tenth of what is currently spent on the "war on drugs" into a mega comprehensive education and awareness program for schools and then realise that a certain small percentage of humans will always wreck themselves on substances and spend another tenth on a safety net for them and then profit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok its not actually that simple but I've had a few beers and it seems easy enough right now

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
If people want drug use cleaned up, heavy penalties on users won't help too much. Instead, put the heavy penalties on the dealers/suppliers/mules.

Jailing a 14 year old kid for something like this is ridiculous. This guy would have been 8 when the schapelle corby event occurred, so hardly old enough to actually take notice of fairly minor international news. He was dumb and definitely a kid with problems, but that doesn't warrant jail term.

Finally, what will jailing him achieve? He will be out in 6 years, a messed up 20 year old with no idea how to exist in normal society. Parents/teachers/sports coaches etc were just about enough to keep me on track sensibly as a teenager. Prison wardens and criminals won't provide any useful moral guidance to this kid. All he will learn is how to not be noticed by people stronger than him and how to take from people weaker than him. Indonesian prisons are violent places. He'll then come back to Australia, uneducated and basically screwed for a large portion of his life.
well Said.
This kid will most likely come home as a drug addicted Criminal. We then have to support him and his victims with tax dollars.
14 YO know nothing.
This kid needs a serious kick in the arse. Then some solid Direction. Not a Jail term.
The parents need a serious kick in the arse as well But geez I feel mostly for them.

buzzsaw

Squid
Agree with the parents need a kick in the arse. Some parents let their kids take too many liberties. Most intelligent people who travel also know certain countries treat druggies - users or suppliers with the harshest penalties. Never go near the crap in a foreign country unless you want to spent time in a dead end flea pit jail, robbed, scammed or get your brains scrambled.

Last edited:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You guys are aware the prosecution only asked for 3 months jail time? He wont come home as a 20 year old hardened criminal, he will come home as a 14 year old who will probably have been scared shitless by the whole ordeal.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
You guys are aware the prosecution only asked for 3 months jail time? He wont come home as a 20 year old hardened criminal, he will come home as a 14 year old who will probably have been scared shitless by the whole ordeal.
---->
If we're going to start jailing people for general stupidity, we're gonna need a lot more jails.
Enough said, really.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Bugger. My bad. Last I read prosecution was trying for six years. In that case the uneducated 20year old bit is no longer a problem, but the rest still stands. And even three months in an Indonesian corrective facility would be enough to fuck with his head.

indica

Serial flasher
Bugger... fuck with his head.
Amongst other things.
A bit of weed? FFS it is ridiculous.

Governments should grow up and decriminalise EVERYTHING or make it all illegal.
How can cigarettes be okay? All they do is provide tax revenue and cause cancer.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He will come home as a 14 year old who will probably have been scared shitless by the whole ordeal.
He will come home with the biggest fucking head thinking he is on top of the world and will boast to all his mates how much of a legend he is... Have you taken a look at a 14 year old lately?

Yes I realize im generalising and making a huge judgement, try and prove me wrong

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Can anyone explain why Corby and the stupid 14 year old can get money from book and media deals and yet David Hicks is seen to be receiving the profits of crime? (after all, he was captured by mercenaries who were selling anyone, guilty or not, for a bounty, and was picked up departing the opposite side of a country in which a war was taking place, totally unarmed and in a taxi)

Double standard much?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone explain why Corby and the stupid 14 year old can get money from book and media deals and yet David Hicks is seen to be receiving the profits of crime? (after all, he was captured by mercenaries who were selling anyone, guilty or not, for a bounty, and was picked up departing the opposite side of a country in which a war was taking place, totally unarmed and in a taxi)

Double standard much?
Crimes were not committed in Australia.......Hicks was a special case. I think he was tied somehow to the Aust legal system.

Last edited:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought Id throw this out there.......

Anyone else check out this kids Facebook, social media links and reports from school friends?

Seems hes not really a drug user......Thats just a ploy to get a lesser sentence.......

And Id add to my original post.....

Never said I was against use of drugs. Im more or less not sympathetic due to the stupidity of the kid for buying drugs in a country that is known to dish the death penalty...and for the stupidity of the parents for lack of control/supervision and educating him on the rules.

And.......if he ever travels international again.... - Any convictions?....Yeah, convicted of drugs in Bali....... And the infamy here in Aus.....Applying for a new job? Werent you that kid convicted in Bali for drugs?

His choice certainly is going to have implications.....

Last edited:

tc2233

Likes Dirt
From what i read in the newspaper he was supposedly "showing off" the drugs that he bought to the locals being an absolute dick of himself. What else do you expect. This kid absolutely deserves to be in jail.
Sometimes i think Australia needs be more harsh on drug users no matter how old they are or the circumstances.
I agree, that putting him in jail isnt necessarily going to prevent him from doing drugs but you need to have scare tactics to prevent other dickheads from taking up drugs.
I have several mates that are regular marijuana and LSD users at school and they are absolutely messed up in the head. They literally have no future, no life goals, no motivation. I asked them do you ever worry about being caught? And they go, "ready have been caught once and got a $300, not enough to scare me from doing drugs".

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Amongst other things.
A bit of weed? FFS it is ridiculous.

Governments should grow up and decriminalise EVERYTHING or make it all illegal.
How can cigarettes be okay? All they do is provide tax revenue and cause cancer.
this is exactly my stance, grow a set of gonads and either make it all illegal or decriminalise it all. how much of a mixed message does it send when we are practically told to go out drinking every weekend to wind down but dont you dare touch a joint, THAT will screw your life up. re-classify ALL substances and then see about making a call on what kind of restrictions are placed on them, if current social acceptance wasn't a factor, the result would be pretty suprising to a lot of people...

and yeah, jailing a 14 year old for a little weed? regardless of how much of a douchebag he might be, this is stupid. FFS, the biggest life decision he's probably had to make till now was whether to get an xbox360 or a PS3 (in my day it was N64 or PS). he wouldn't have seen this as anything more than a small rebellion, akin to pinching a few of dads ciggies to smoke behind the bushes at the other end of the footy field in yr7...