DSLR's

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Xplor & Kirby, I think the 550D is an awesome camera to start out with. Same sensor as the more expensive 7D, the kit lenses are great to start with, and there is no need to break the bank on glass just yet. Photography is addictive, and befoe too long you'll be saving $$$$ to buy new kit.
Tamron & Sigma make excellent glass. No where as goo as Canon L, but still excellent. Just get yor camera and get out there.
As for video, remember these camera's don't film in FULL HD at 60fps. If youTHINK you're getting one for that, think again. They do rock when filming in 720i @ 60fps.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Emphesis on 'real' why is d-d photgraphics warrenty fake'? And what "real" about Digital Camera Warehouse.
They're grey stock, so it's just local vs OS distributor support/service centre; or alternatively, Canon Aus service vs third party service centre.
Is it a big deal? Dunno, haven't had to compare them myself.

Kirby.

Squid
Xplor & Kirby, I think the 550D is an awesome camera to start out with. Same sensor as the more expensive 7D, the kit lenses are great to start with, and there is no need to break the bank on glass just yet. Photography is addictive, and befoe too long you'll be saving $$$$ to buy new kit.
Tamron & Sigma make excellent glass. No where as goo as Canon L, but still excellent. Just get yor camera and get out there.
As for video, remember these camera's don't film in FULL HD at 60fps. If youTHINK you're getting one for that, think again. They do rock when filming in 720i @ 60fps.
Would it be worth it getting the 18 - 55mm kit or shopping around on Ebay or similar for a body and then a Tamron or Sigma lens?
With the video I never expected it to record FULL HD (1080p) at 60fps but 720i at 60fps will be pretty amazing on the web.

paulb

Likes Dirt
What is everybody's thoughts on the nikon d300?

I would prefer hearing from someone who isn't a profesional camera reviewe like on many sites.
Not sure if this is really on topic on such a canon thread (and i've never used a canon dslr) but anyway...

I've been taking race shots with a Nikon D40x for a few years. (http://paulbr.smugmug.com/).

I bought a D300S last October. Hugely expensive compared to the 40X. Auto focus is almost miraculous (though at 7fps there's often one or two out). It grabs focus much better than I can claim credit for (not so sure about the full auto focus though). A lot more external controls, more options and a nice user interface. High ISO Noise is probably a little worse than I hoped but only an issue at 100% - for noise I think the D90 is probably better. I haven't really tried the (720p) video.

The D300S is also noticeably heavier - after taking a few thousand shots at our DH and enduro weekend in February my arms were sore!

I'm still very fond of the D40X - with a 35mm prime it's a nice size, capable of good shots, though I was surprised from the weekend's results how much less sharp focus was, I kept double checking I wasn't on static focus - the 300 has made me lazy. (Also tried a panasonic lx3 point & shoot - nice pocket camera but I think the 35mm prime blows it away on the optics before you even consider the sensor)

Not sure we're you're coming from, or exactly what you want to know. I wouldn't recommend a D300 to start with, the D90 is probably better all round but I mainly wanted the better autofocus. Despite the cost I have no complaints.

Paul

hotazell

Likes Dirt

I would prefer hearing from someone who isn't a profesional camera reviewe like on many sites.

Thanks in advance.
Ask Tristan when he returns to Rotorburn he used one for a long time before defecting to Canon. Didn't hear any complaints out of him. Why the D300 and not the D300s or are you looking at used. Is this a first DSLR or an upgrade as stated the D90 is hard to fault but it all depends on budget etc

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
If your budget it limited, don't dismiss grey imports (ie. cameras off eBay, d-d-p and so on) as they can get you great deals at even greater prices, but do be aware of what buying an import entails.

Firstly, you DO get a warranty. In the event that something does happen to your camera/lens/accessory, Nikon/Canon etc in Australia will NOT touch them but you can obtain support from an overseas service center. The downside here is that shipping etc is all at your expense, and there is a much longer turn around time associated with such repairs.

Personally, I only ever use 'imports' for accessories and the likes; things that are much more easily replaced due to lower prices. Camera bodies and lenses (which can cost 2k+) are safer bought over here where there is support readily available.

What are you wanting to know?
As a D300S user, all I can say is astounding. (IMO, the best APS-C camera out today bar the D2XS/HS which is a little out of date).

That said, it is a high-end camera and assuming you're new to photography/DSLR, I'd advise against it. This is simply because of its complexity, as well as the lack of certain features more specific to the consumer DSLR market. But if you're looking for an upgrade, it will be perfect.

Between the D300 and the 'S', there really isn't much difference hence why it was only an update, rather than a 'redesign'. Main features really are the movie function (<wank>), CF & SD slot, additional Live View, Info and updated multi-selector buttons as well as a slightly higher continuous frame rate (6FPS to 7FPS). If you can chase down a second-hand D300 at an awesome price, don't pass it up as it's still awesome.

If you are however, more of a beginner, to reiterate what has been said, the D90 will be more than enough. It will provide you with a very sturdy platform, all the functions you need as well as a more professional layout (compared with lower-end Nikons) with the addition of the 'Automatic' features that make DSLRs a little more 'user friendly'. AF in it is still amazing, compatibility with practically all Nikon lenses is still there and it still has things like the commander mode for wireless flash use etc which is pretty cool. I also believe the dynamic range featured in it surpass even higher-end Nikons!

*shrugs*
My $0.02

Kirby.

Squid
If your budget it limited, don't dismiss grey imports (ie. cameras off eBay, d-d-p and so on) as they can get you great deals at even greater prices, but do be aware of what buying an import entails.

Firstly, you DO get a warranty. In the event that something does happen to your camera/lens/accessory, Nikon/Canon etc in Australia will NOT touch them but you can obtain support from an overseas service center. The downside here is that shipping etc is all at your expense, and there is a much longer turn around time associated with such repairs.

Personally, I only ever use 'imports' for accessories and the likes; things that are much more easily replaced due to lower prices. Camera bodies and lenses (which can cost 2k+) are safer bought over here where there is support readily available.
*Snip*
I'm with you I would much rather buy import accessories and such, but some of the ebay stores out of Hong Kong offer an international warranty I'm pretty sure 'Digital Rev' offers something like that, I might be wrong but am unsure seeing I'm at school and cant get on ebay.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I'm with you I would much rather buy import accessories and such, but some of the ebay stores out of Hong Kong offer an international warranty I'm pretty sure 'Digital Rev' offers something like that, I might be wrong but am unsure seeing I'm at school and cant get on ebay.
As far as I know, as long as it's brand new (not second hand/refurbished), and genuine, it should have an International Warranty.

As for your lens etc. DDP offer a 550D with an 18-135mm kit lens for under your budget. That might be a consideration (since the 18-200 coupled with the 550D goes for over $1800 imported-unlikely to 'talk down' Australian stock to that price). Alternatively, check out the Sigma 18-200 (or equivalent). I have this on my old Nikon D40X and it's perfect for hiking or situations where you really don't want to be changing lenses Obviously there is a comprimise for optical quality with these types of lenses (called 'superzooms') but it's a much more solid, and optically sound lens than the superzooms put out by Tamron, that's for sure.

Kirby.

Squid
As far as I know, as long as it's brand new (not second hand/refurbished), and genuine, it should have an International Warranty.

As for your lens etc. DDP offer a 550D with an 18-135mm kit lens for under your budget. That might be a consideration (since the 18-200 coupled with the 550D goes for over $1800 imported-unlikely to 'talk down' Australian stock to that price). Alternatively, check out the Sigma 18-200 (or equivalent). I have this on my old Nikon D40X and it's perfect for hiking or situations where you really don't want to be changing lenses Obviously there is a comprimise for optical quality with these types of lenses (called 'superzooms') but it's a much more solid, and optically sound lens than the superzooms put out by Tamron, that's for sure.
Sweet thanks, 'Digital Rev' has some Tamron and Sigma lenses in a kit, for under $1500.

What do you think about this Canon EOS 550D double kit (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS+55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS)+Sandisk 8GB SD Card?

EDIT: Just looked around even more and found they have a kit with the 18 - 55, 55 - 250 and 50.
What are your views of the 50mm? Would it be worth the extra money?

Last edited:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think thats a sweet setup to start with, I'm sort of tempted to buy a 550D body. The 18-55 Lens is fantastic to start with and you can get awesome results with just that lens, sure there are better lenses out there but to begin with its perfect for everything close and the 55-250 is great for stuff further away, I started out with that kit except with a 450D Body, and I could not be happier with that choice. I'll just throw in an example of a shot taken with each lens, perhaps it'll be helpful?

55-250 f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO200

18-55 Can't remember settings sorry

And heres one at night with 18-55, f/9, 30 sec, ISO100

Kirby.

Squid
I think thats a sweet setup to start with, I'm sort of tempted to buy a 550D body. The 18-55 Lens is fantastic to start with and you can get awesome results with just that lens, sure there are better lenses out there but to begin with its perfect for everything close and the 55-250 is great for stuff further away, I started out with that kit except with a 450D Body, and I could not be happier with that choice. I'll just throw in an example of a shot taken with each lens, perhaps it'll be helpful?

55-250 f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO200
*Snip*

18-55 Can't remember settings sorry
*Snip*

And heres one at night with 18-55, f/9, 30 sec, ISO100
*Snip*
Thanks for that and the examples I'm now sold on this camera, What are you views about the 50mm would it be worth the extra money?
Also which tripod would you recommend and how much would you justify spending on a tripod?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that and the examples I'm now sold on this camera, What are you views about the 50mm would it be worth the extra money?
Also which tripod would you recommend and how much would you justify spending on a tripod?
I have a 50 f/1.8 and to be honest I hardly use it, its just to close for my liking if I had my choice over I'd get the 35mm, however if you want a nice fast lens thats cost effective its a winner, the images a sharp, only down side is it has no focus scale (either do the kit lenses by the way) this annoyed my no end, but you start to learn the scale over time.

I guess it depends, I got my tripod off AngoXC before I went away, its light and expandable, shrinks down nicely to fit on the hiking pack, the only downside is it doesn't like the long lens, its a Manfrotto one, I can't remember the model, i'm quite happy with it! its perfect for backpacking around OS. As for spending money on tripods, thats up to you, in general the more you spend the more sturdy its going to be etc. As hux pointed out to Posm in photosnob thread, office works has a tripod for $50, perhaps look into one of them? I'm totally unsure as to how well they work.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I know Canon offer international warranty on a lot of their gear, but isn't the caveat that it's for gear you purchased whilst you were actually OS, rather than OS mailorders?

NB: The above may be speculation, hearsay or fantastic ravings.

Kirby.

Squid
I have a 50 f/1.8 and to be honest I hardly use it, its just to close for my liking if I had my choice over I'd get the 35mm, however if you want a nice fast lens thats cost effective its a winner, the images a sharp, only down side is it has no focus scale (either do the kit lenses by the way) this annoyed my no end, but you start to learn the scale over time.

I guess it depends, I got my tripod off AngoXC before I went away, its light and expandable, shrinks down nicely to fit on the hiking pack, the only downside is it doesn't like the long lens, its a Manfrotto one, I can't remember the model, i'm quite happy with it! its perfect for backpacking around OS. As for spending money on tripods, thats up to you, in general the more you spend the more sturdy its going to be etc. As hux pointed out to Posm in photosnob thread, office works has a tripod for $50, perhaps look into one of them? I'm totally unsure as to how well they work.
What do you mean by focus scale? Sorry I'm new to all the technical jargon.
I suppose that tripods are fairly cheap but are there any which would fit into your usual backpack which you would use while riding?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
NB: The above may be speculation, hearsay or fantastic ravings.
You're probably right man. I'm just going off information I recall :)o) reading on DDP's website as well as several eBay sellers. It might just apply to those items/sellers though.

I suppose that tripods are fairly cheap but are there any which would fit into your usual backpack which you would use while riding?

It more or less conveys subject distance information. It's addition isn't quite as important these days with advances in auto focus technology though it's still handy for pre focusing (on moving objects), hyperfocusing (manual focus) and the likes.

Last edited:

Kirby.

Squid
*Snip*
It more or less conveys subject distance information. It's addition isn't quite as important these days with advances in auto focus technology though it's still handy for pre focusing (on moving objects), hyperfocusing (manual focus) and the likes.
Thanks for that. I have used kit lenses in the past and haven't had any focus troubles.

I'm having some second thoughts on the kit I have chosen from DigitalRev.
Which would the best kit be from this range?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Well, I think the kit including the 18-135mm sounds pretty sweet, especially when you have movies in mind. Whilst optically, superzooms are not the greatest (though being a Canon, it will be more opitcally sound then a thrid-party option), for myself when I was getting into my own DSLR, I really appreciated having practically all my focal lengths in the one lens. For hiking and the likes, this was preferable (as I was trying to travel light), it's practical as there is no need to be changing lenses at the most inoppitune of times and since you don't need lenses, there is little chance of dust entering (I say little as the camera is 'charged' and attracts particals to the sensor as a matter of course, especially near the beach).

Additionally, since it only takes up $1300 of your $1500 budget, you're free to purchase accessories;

Memory card(s)-Sandisk are the industry leaders here. The faster the write speed, the better. Typically, I prefer to carry a number of smaller cards over a single large capacity one as accidents happen and I'd hate to loose my photos. This is a good start though.

67mm UV filter -protect your front element with one of these. Hoya are one of the leaders here too and the HD filters are some of the strongest around. Be aware though that the coatings make them difficult to clean than other brands.

LowePro Camera Bag - again, are one of the top brands to go for. Ballistics fabric exterior have high tear strength and are water resistant, and the bag itself also has a waterproof cover that packs away for safe keeping.

That's a fair set up for a beginner and while you get the basics underway with your new camera, you can be busy saving for a new tripod!

ferntreekid

Likes Bikes
i've got a lowepro flipside 300 that i ride with, it fits: my d90 camera body, 3x YN-460 flashes and gear, a fast fifty, a 70-300, an 18-55, and a 28-105, plus a DH-40 tripod and another flexi-pod for my other flash, and filters, batteries, cards, a pair of sunnies and a sandwich :D