DT 240 but what rim? taco-ed rear rim today, or get flow ex on hope???

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
So was riding way above my LTC Tallboys possible capabilities on Townsville Stuart Dh trails today and my PTRX-1 rear rim has buckled bad. I was lucky enough to get the PTRX-1 Wheel build the year giant put dt swiss rims and 240 hubs into the trance 29er XO build. Love the quick engagement and simplicity of these hubs. Looking to replace is crazy pricing, so question is, what rims should I buy to get these hubs re-laced to? straight pull and I mainly ride AM, some Dh, some xc. Or should I just get a new built stans flow on hopes? Cant build myself, so will be at the mercy of local store, unless i can get someone handy to do for a nominal fee locally. Any thoughts or help appreciated.
American classic Am, stans flow ex, WTB, spank, that sought of budget, no carbon price range. cheers.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Get new rim laced up - flow ex would probably be most popular for your use and should be about $100 for the rim, $50 for the build, and maybe $80 for spokes if they don't re use.

Rims at short notice are more about what you can get hold of for a decent price rather than your wish list

Mountain bikes direct are local and have stans rims at around the $100 mark

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
Get new rim laced up - flow ex would probably be most popular for your use and should be about $100 for the rim, $50 for the build, and maybe $80 for spokes if they don't re use.

Rims at short notice are more about what you can get hold of for a decent price rather than your wish list

Mountain bikes direct are local and have stans rims at around the $100 mark
thank you!

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it is short notice, and you want to get out as quick as possible, but getting a Zelvy built up to your hub isn't out of the realm of possibility - give Greg a call and see what he can do timewise.
Another alternative would be light bicycle carbons - Doc's Workshop in Bardon usually has stock to hand of these and will build to your hub too. I'd go a 35mm if you can, I run 30's but don't ride the DH tracks (blacks my limit)
If you can get the hub out today to either of these you *might* be able to get it back by the weekend.
Al..

ojc

Squid
DT Swiss EX 471 are another option, particularly if you have 28-hole hubs like me. They are more difficult to source in Australia. Bike24.com & wheelbuilder.com have em if you can wait a week or so for delivery.

I recently had to rebuild a 28 spoke DT Swiss 350 straightpull hub so DT Swiss were my only real option (no one else seems to make 28 hole rims!). Great rim though, easy to build, wide, fairly light and super easy tubeless.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Oops, just noticed it's a 28h hub. Choices are very limited by 28h in a 29" rim.

Maybe look to get yourself a lend of a wheel, or buy a super cheapy as a backup and order a $200 light bicycle carbon rim in 28h as the long term solution.

28h is definately a downside when replacing. You can pick up a full rear wheel from merlin for around $350 - won't be here by the weekend though (hope with flows)

http://www.merlincycles.com/hope-hoops-rear-pro2-evo-29er-60052.html

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really like the wheels and want to keep the hub as a spare?

Wheelset option landed for less than $500 landed http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-p-trx-1-29-inch-wheel-system-pair-id87750.html

or Rear wheels only http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-p-trx-1-29er-rear-wheel-id88378.html

I just bought a set from here (je james) landed in about 2 weeks and in boxes taped with valves etc. Nice to here you love the wheels - I got them when them dollar was better for $400 freighted. Very happy with my purchase....

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't see the bit about no carbon, ignore Zelvy but have a look at getting an LB rim in.

28h is going to limit you, might be able to get a Crest in that size in a hurry
My gut feel is you aren't going to be able to get away with less than what pharmaboy said, so finding a new wheel at that price isn't out of the question, but it won't have a DT240* in it, and isn't going to have a flow (new)
If you can reuse the spokes - you need an identical ERD rim, and a wheelbuilder that will do it - you will save yourself some $ but likely that with the restressing of the spokes a few will give way sooner rather than later

* These are often hubs using DT internals, labelled a giant. Looks like they use straight pull spokes as well

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
Didn't see the bit about no carbon, ignore Zelvy but have a look at getting an LB rim in.

28h is going to limit you, might be able to get a Crest in that size in a hurry
My gut feel is you aren't going to be able to get away with less than what pharmaboy said, so finding a new wheel at that price isn't out of the question, but it won't have a DT240* in it, and isn't going to have a flow (new)
If you can reuse the spokes - you need an identical ERD rim, and a wheelbuilder that will do it - you will save yourself some $ but likely that with the restressing of the spokes a few will give way sooner rather than later

* These are often hubs using DT internals, labelled a giant. Looks like they use straight pull spokes as well
Yes, i have a document from Giant that says my year PTRX-1 where Dt swiss 240 internals, as punters had complained for years to the cheaper wheels, 1 year on from these beuties and they realised over kill or too $$ and sent out the word that all internals are to be replaced by dt 350 from then on. Now defunct anyways.

Really like the wheels and want to keep the hub as a spare?

Wheelset option landed for less than $500 landed http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant...r-id87750.html

or Rear wheels only http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant...l-id88378.html

I just bought a set from here (je james) landed in about 2 weeks and in boxes taped with valves etc. Nice to here you love the wheels - I got them when them dollar was better for $400 freighted. Very happy with my purchase....

Yeah do love this wheel set, but for that price and that is pretty good, Reckon I need a stronger rim as my style is harsh and I prefer bullet proof to weight weenie. But given I have ridden these harsh through Nz, Cairns dh and ghetto dh, and stuart dh, prob got good life out of them for 2 1/2 years???
Had some mates up here with ligh bicycle rims and have seen 3 explode though, so not sold on the cheaper end carbon rims yet, couple of mates with zelvey love them but I can almost get a good 2nd dh bike for that and not wreck these in the first place. Like the look of the ex 471, just have to find them and a price somewhere. I am around 85 kg and hard and harsh rider so crest in rocky Townsville is a no go. Thansk all for the input, keep the ideas coming. Will definitly buy new spokes as the old ones are on the way out anyways, had to replace 2 lately. more the Rim to dt 240 problem.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Get in touch with Al at Pushie. Spank do 28. Oozy or Spike would work for you.

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
Awesome Boom King, this Al fella is certainly popular, he helped me out before my last rota trip with my broken Lev, he was super awesome!

And Pharmaboy, I am starting to get that picture, my mates in the past had the same problem it seems and just threw them away and got mr sprokets to build him some stans on hopes. just really love this hub over any others I have had.... :(

ojc

Squid
From that description it sounds like you need a tough rim and the EX471 fits the bill... Tyres are optional with that rim!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-aaron-gwins-flat-tire-flyer-world-cup-2014.html

When I re-built my wheel, the rim and 30 DT Swiss spokes cost about $100 + shipping from bike24.com. Add in the wheel build cost and it's a cheap way to get a really strong wheel - as long as you have a wheelbuilder who'll build with bought in parts... New spokes were a must have for me, it was near impossible to get the old ones out with damaging them.