DT EXP hub issues

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My takeaway from this.. is that my next hubs will be either older style, or probably won't be DT Swiss. As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
10g saved and they got to move the bearing outboard by the thickness of the bearing.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
So sounds like local DT Swiss will send a new ratchet/spring/grease to my nearest dealer LBS. Still wish they could just post it to me. But seems this is all they can do. So, no need to post back to Germany or get them involved really.

All in all, a few emails and one trip to the LBS should have it sorted.

Still not clear to me why the bulletin disappeared though, or that video...

ozzybmx

So sounds like local DT Swiss will send a new ratchet/spring/grease to my nearest dealer LBS.
So are they only replacing the outside ratchet ? Is the inside one made of harder, undamaged better steel ?

There's something suss about this whole thing.

dirtdad

The story I got from the video and other threads was that a batch (more?) of the floating ratchet had QC issues. Riding it can lead to damage to the hub mechanism. I think it's to do with bits of the floating ratchet wearing off and getting into the mechanism. Only affected wheels with a certain serial number code.

So fixes seemed to be:
  1. You have a wheel that's showing signs of damage. Replace fixed and floating ratchets and freehub.
  2. You have a wheel you haven't ridden - replace the floating ratchet and spring
  3. You have ridden but not showing any signs of damage - ?? I forget what they said on the video.

I'm going to get my new ratchet. Bin the old one. And try to forget about this whole debacle while I'm grinding up climbs wincing at every ping and crack of the rear wheel regretting I didn't go for the hope pro 4s....

ozzybmx

Absolute bullshit from DT, so its all about the floating chocolate ratchet.

Why cant they just say the floating star ratchet was fuckt and send people the replacement star.... if you have ridden it, we have a new proprietary tool that will cost you $60 BUT as we fuckt it, a free inside ratchet and tool are being sent out as well.

DT you messed this one up.

dirtdad

BUT as we fuckt it, a free inside ratchet and tool are being sent out as well.
Agree it's bullshit and they f-ed up. The fact they left the communication silent. Then a little publicised bulletin. Then it's gone again (is it back too I wonder?).

But plenty of muppets wouldn't know what to do with the inside ratchet tool. I can see how getting a bike shop to do the inside one makes sense. For real I'd love a free tool. But could you imagine Takata sending everyone a new airbag, spudger and ratchet set?? Just follow the instructions and it'll all be sweet! DIY isn't for everyone or for every warranty issue.

ozzybmx

Agree it's bullshit and they f-ed up. The fact they left the communication silent. Then a little publicised bulletin. Then it's gone again (is it back too I wonder?).

But plenty of muppets wouldn't know what to do with the inside ratchet tool. I can see how getting a bike shop to do the inside one makes sense. For real I'd love a free tool. But could you imagine Takata sending everyone a new airbag, spudger and ratchet set?? Just follow the instructions and it'll all be sweet! DIY isn't for everyone or for every warranty issue.
Over on the big MTBR thread, DT is sending out replacements direct to people.

There are also a few cases of DT180 EXPs failing, DT then asks for the serial number, then sends out ratchet set and freehub body direct to the customer.

There is also one report of a failed hub after the DT fix.

People still discussing the issue, is it really a star ratchet issue or is it the freehub design. A lot of reports of the star ratchet 'jamming' into the freehub body and requiring a screwdriver to remove.

Massive issue, the once bombproof DT hubs now with a big cloud over them. Racers dropping new DT wheelsets and going with other manufacturers.

Can see why too, if you were heading to do the 6 day NZ Pioneer race, the Croc Trophy or any multi day endurance event... I don't think I would take the chance.

Now my 1st world problems... on ordering the 'old' reliable rear 240 and the new EXP front, I have myself a mis-matched decal dilemma.

Will have to grab the $9 decals from eBay in bike matchy colour. Strange no one is doing EXP decals yet, I think like the new 240 EXP decal better.

dirtdad

Will have to grab the $9 decals from eBay in bike matchy colour. Strange no one is doing EXP decals yet, I think like the new 240 EXP decal better.
Yeah - I looked at those on ebay. Asked the seller a question about EXP decals and didn't get a reply.
I understand the EXP hubs also don't use stickers, so can't remove the existing decal. Haven't tried on mine. But if I were to do it, I'd probably just sticker over the existing logo/decal.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
So this happened.

JRA a slight uphill gradient, and suddenly the cranks are freewheeling. I assumed I'd dropped or even snapped the chain, although was baffled as to why given what I was doing. Plus there was no sudden noise as you'd expect in that situation.

Luckily I was right at the end of my ride (the little fire road after Breakout for Ken Behrens), so I pretty much just pumped and rolled back to the car.

Oddly, right at the end after rolling for a couple of minutes habit kicked in and I pedalled and it engaged as normal.

Checked (as I'd been meaning to for months :rolleyes:) and no surprises I have an affected serial number.

Potentially complicating factor is it's a wheel set I bought out of Germany, so it'll be interesting to see how this gets resolved.

Anybody else dealt with it already?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
An update to this.

Even though I bought the wheelset from some Germans, DT Swiss/Apollo in Australia came to the party and replaced the parts without argument despite knowing they weren't purchased locally. Looks like the entire free hub was replaced; everything looks completely brand new.

I had to pay $25 labour, but also a thanks to Monkey Wrench Cycles for doing the work despite my not being a regular customer there.

Given it's all new I'm happy with the outcome. Let's see if it lasts.